tyre pressures AT v LTAT's

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 14:26
ThreadID: 103486 Views:2122 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Could someone please educate me on weather tyre pressures for AT style tyres is the same as for lighttruck AT tyres given all other specs are the same.When I was a boy, presteelbelts, when Dunlop RTM's ruled if you went to heavier casings the tyre pressures went up Thanks for help forthcoming Mickb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: outbackjoe - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 16:46

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 16:46
Hey mate LTs have different sidewall construction and generate more heat so generally they need to be kept at higher pressure, all other things being equal. But it's hard to make a blanket statement, look at load rating vs max pressure to give you an idea but to know for sure you need pressure vs load charts.
AnswerID: 515663

Reply By: LIFE MEMBER-snailbait - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 19:12

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 19:12
hi all
Trhttp://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#y here
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515668

Reply By: blown4by - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 23:42

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 23:42
LT rated tyres are more heavily constructed so as to be able to carry the higher loads they are rated for. In order to carry the maximum rated load they need to be inflated to higher pressures and being more heavily constructed they can run higher pressures than passenger rated tyres. LT tyres can also carry 100% of their load 100% of the time whereas passenger load rated tyres can only carry 80% of their maximum load 100% of the time. In other words their duty cycle is lower. LT tyres have a minimum 8 ply rating and although 8ply will be marked on the side wall modern radial tyres do not actually have 8 plies. They do however comply with the load carrying characteristics of an 8 ply or 'C' rated tyre. The only radial LT tyres I am aware of that has more than a two-ply wall is the BFG which has three plies. The additional wall strength has been confirmed on this site as they do not 'bag out' as much as a tyre with a 2-ply wall. LT tyres only need to be inflated to higher than normal pressure if you are carrying a full load or want to save fuel on the blacktop. When off road in rocky rough stuff such as pot holes and corrugations and the like if you don't drop your pressures to something like those if you were running passenger tyres off road you are going to shake the c-rap out of your vehicle and you and will in all liklihood suffer a tread separation or blow-out LT or not. The same pressures apply in soft sand where if you try running 65PSI all you are going to do is get wheel spin and wreck the track. The main advantage for running LT's apart from being able to handle higher loads is that at normal loads the tyre is far less stressed and being of a more robust construction it should live longer althouigh there are plenty of stories of LT tyre failures on roads such as the GRR no matter what the brand. Obviously speed and load and luck have a part to play. I agree apart from the RTM's give me a 7.50 x 16 Goodyear Custom Hi-Miler on split rims with spare tubes, a vulcanising kit and a spark plug pump any day.
AnswerID: 516368

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 05:49

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 05:49
Hahaha, split rims and tubes............what are they?

Peter
FollowupID: 795713

Sponsored Links