Perth to coral bay RESERVATIONS? Seriously?

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 02:24
ThreadID: 103533 Views:2607 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. We're coming over (CanAmerica) to camp around WA December 1 through January 6 in a rented camper van. Our plan is to see Australia from Perth to Coral Bay and back again to cover the area south of Perth.

Looks like we picked a peak season and now worried about all the postings on having to have reservations at all times for any and all places from Perth to Coral Bay.

This kinda defeats the purpose of leisurely travel. What are your thoughts on reservations? Will we be screwed without them?

Thanks!

Clint and Janet a Canadian American couple.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: G_Banger - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:15

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:15
As a truck driver who has travelled that road quite a bit I certainly wouldn't call that time of the year peak season(too bloody hot!!), but if you were to find yourself without accomodation, you would be able to find ample areas to park up ie truck parking bays, although they can be quite noisy, just don't drive at night( too many cows on the road).
AnswerID: 515823

Reply By: WBS - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:45

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:45
That's hardly peak season. Its too damn hot!. It is also cyclone season. Most locals (Austalians) wouldn't normally be traveling up that way unless they had to. Peak season up around Coral Bay is more like June to August. Unless you enjoy the hot, oppressive, humid conditions that exist that time of the year, I'd be changing my travel dates. I doubt you'd have to book accommodation at that time of the year. At that time of the year I wouldn't be going further than Geraldton, and that would be bloody hot too!

WBS
AnswerID: 515824

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 09:22

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 09:22
Hi Clint and Janet,
School holidays (summer vacation!) starts mid-December and runs through to 3rd Feb.
Also lots of businesses close from just before Christmas until first or second week of January, so that's when families take holidays and book out the accommodation.

It's not my favourite time to travel! But if that's the only time you can do it, then go for it.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 515827

Reply By: new boy - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 09:39

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 09:39
Camam
I,ts not peak period being just prior to start of the school holidays and to close to Xmas but it is the Southerly period ie strong southerly breezes up to Coral bay so going north great for fuel economy but you loose going the other way.The southerly,s are cooling breezes major hot weather is late Jan/early Feb there are plenty of camp spots on the coast up to Carnarvon so nights can be cooler and the cars are air cond for the days travelling.
Chrismas and New Year can be heaverly booked on the coast so beaware of that and maybe plan arround those periods .Also we have schoolies week which mainly affects Busselton and Kalbarri to a minor extent not sure when that is but usualy early Dec.
In Coral Bay ask the locals about the stingers and jelly fish I beleive they have moved that far south they can hamper swimming but not curtail it.
AnswerID: 515829

Reply By: mike g2 - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:41

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:41
HI Canam.. its not exactly 'peak' period ,but what I would call high season as its over Christmas time. allow for some business closures for christmas break and public holidays . can be quite hot in NW at this time as in the good advice from others on the Temperature, wind and stingers(jellyfish) .
you still can travel at leisure, but.. having done this trip lots, I would take the precaution of booking IF you intend to use c/van parks. do a trip plan and book to suit driving 300-400 km a day ( fairly leisurely for a van) , then stop 2-3 days or whatever you have in mind.

South of Perth would be more popular at that time as most people go for cooler climate in south and local attractions of the SW. there are 'schoolies' as one comment mentioned. Christmas onwards is often booked out in some places up to 6/mths in advance . costs wise: allow approx. $ 30 a nite for a powered site in a c/van park , Diesel at $ 1.60 or so a Litre .
There are rules ( usually local shire dependant) about where you can and cannot set up/stop ... In recent times, many areas now policing if you park and sleep for the nite in your van in town( as some tourists are doing). Public facilities in town aren't really for free stay usage ( showering, etc..) watch for signage in this respect or check with local town/shire administration first.
Also worthwhile look up c/van park groups such as big4, family parks and so on. you can book on net. being a c/van park group member is not expensive and can save you $ on discounts. look into free camp sites as well, there are some in WA. look into tourist bureau site as well for more info.
Have licences if your going to do some fishing .

have a good trip.
MG.

AnswerID: 515834

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 12:13

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 12:13
hi can-american
peak period dec on more like $40 a night for powered sites
don't know where you'll find $30 sites at that time of year
and prices have all gone up as we are in a new financial year

everywhere is well and truly booked out months before so my advice is try and pre book as you will be battling to get more than 1 night at most places

Geraldton northwards maybe !!but
as said its unpleasantly hot with very hot and drying winds
in the southern areas weather nicer but but still can be very hot with cooler overnight generaly
everyplace will be chockers with locals and xmas school holidays and business /workers book the parks from one year to the next at there favourite places
not tying to put you off but check and pre-book that's what i'm saying then you wont be caught out and be disappointed

w.a schools break on the 19th december 2013 and schoolies week is prior to that as they older students finish their exams and leave before the lower classes
theygo back on 3rd of feb 2014 so after that date it would be easier to get into parks particularly in the southern regions
cheers
FollowupID: 795130

Reply By: 08crd - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 11:00

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 11:00
As everyone has said it will be hot north of Geraldton 33 - 40deg, but getting into caravan parks wouldn't be a problem. Perth to Coral Bay is about 1000k's, mostly flat, dry countryside.
South of Perth the weather should be good 27 - 35deg, sunshine every day. Again caravan parks usualy have plenty of room, shouldn't be a problem untill christmas period. The period over christmas new year gets busy in major coastal towns e.g Albany,Busselton,Mandurah areas.
If the camper is a fully self contained motorhome, finding somewhere to stop shouldn't be an issue.
AnswerID: 515836

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 20:58

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 20:58
Hi CanAm

Coastal town caravan parks do get crowded during summer school holidays in the south, but as said, anything north of Geraldton would be hot and I have no experience of what custom they get in summer. A phone call to the parks you choose when you get here would give you an idea. Much nicer to travel with no bookings or tight schedules. When the coast in the southern part of the state is packed out, there is plenty of room inland and plenty to see.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515857

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 21:18

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 21:18
Hi Clint and Janet
I have spent a number of years in the North West of W.A., and now live in the South West. If you want some info on specific spots please email me at drew.grant@education.wa.edu.au and I will help you out with what I know...

It is a great part of the world!!

Drew
AnswerID: 515858

Reply By: Canamerican - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 10:49

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 10:49
Thanks ya'll for all the great advice and suggestions. Yup. It's gonna be hot but it will be dry heat for us. Spent time in Fiji, Cambodia and Thailand so thinking it can't be too bad.

We will be in Australia for three months. Western Australia then Tasmania, plus a little bit of the GOR. Both look absolutely fantastic.

AnswerID: 515883

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 00:04

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 00:04
We use to go to Exmouth at Xmas as it was cooler for us than where we were living and enjoyed NOT having everybody else in the area. We give Coral Bay a miss as too many go there and more to do in Exmouth but each to their own.
Use to go to Coral Bay before it became exploited and turned into Bogans-ville.
May get to 45 C on some days but its better than 37 C and 100% humidity !
German travelers seem to always be in the heat and enjoy themselves and a lot of them just sleep in tents or bongo vans.
These days with air-con for sleeping, heat is not a problem.
It is a dry heat and not as bad as the places you have lived.
I lived in the tropics for decades and its the humidity as you know that sucks the energy out of you.
Just get up early in the morning to enjoy that beautiful scenery and then hibernate for a few hours in the middle of the day and back out again for a nice stroll on the beach in late afternoon. Perfect.
Keep an eye on the weather reports for any incoming cyclones but Exmouth area is pretty low so chances are slim, best be prepared to make a decision to leave or stay with extra rations and being blocked off if a lot of rain falls which is more likely as the road in is pretty low in areas and can be impassable for a few days.
Friendly locals up that way and there is a fancy resort at Exmouth to shout yourself to nice meals in air-con and a swim in the pool.
Check BOM (Bureau of Meteorology) website and go to climate for that time of year for the full run down.
Awesome fishing, even in the Marina or off the beach. crystal clear water, excellent snorkeling and not many people - paradise.
Enjoy yourself and safe travels.
AnswerID: 516030

Sponsored Links