TD42 Fuel Pump issues

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 20:34
ThreadID: 103549 Views:2940 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have a 91 GQ TD42 with 240,000. I was hoping that someone could give me some advice regarding the fuel pump. The engine seems to hunt especially when cold and at low RPM i.e. in forth at 60k. It doesnt really get cold up here in Townsville but I always let it idle and warm up for a few minutes anyway. I dont know anything about this particular pump and was wondering if I should have the pump reconditioned or atleast tested on a dyno. Also I know that introducing a turbo is really worth the cost but the state of the pump is my real concern. Does anyone know what may be causing this. I have removed the gauze filter and I get roughly 650k around town from a full tank. I add diesel plus to every second tank and service every 5000k.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axle - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:42

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:42
G/Day Mate, Are you sure its the pump.?..sounds more like a issue with air getting in the system, ..If its not blowing heaps of black smoke I would look elsewhere first.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 515880

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 13:54

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 13:54
hi MNW
gauze filter is that the one in the fuel pump inlet pipe ?
surging in a diesel is usually the result of either air in the system or a filter partially blocked with dirt or water contamination
I would change your fuel filters and clean out the fuel bowl etc and renew all the orings/seals then bleed the system sounds like fuel flow/air problem to me
that's what ive found over many years of diesel experiences
cheers
AnswerID: 515889

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 13:58

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 13:58
also drain your fuel tank if it has a drain bung
you will get a surprise as what comes out
it an old vehicle '91 and the tank has had a lot of fuel through it
FollowupID: 795172

Reply By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:46

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:46
MNW : A mate of mine has one of these vehicles & i think similar problem , he was ready to replace pump but when he took it to his mechanic he replaced a small filter in side banjo fitting at the end of fuel pipe to the pump , all fixed .

when you say (I have removed the gauze filter) is this the same filter ....you removed it or replaced it ?? ....when ?

cheers
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515922

Sponsored Links