Fitting AP50 c/control to GQ TD42

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:15
ThreadID: 10355 Views:2858 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just finished fitting AP50 cc to my GQ Patrol,can anyone give advice of where the best place to fit magnets and pickup,I have fitted the magnets to front end of the tail shaft just behind the front uj,but when I fit the pick up and set at 5mm gap between this and the magnets the magnets contact the pickup on excelleration of the vehicle,I have tried mounting the pickup above the tailshaft and on the side of the tail shaft but still occurs,checked all gearbox mounts and engine mounts for excessive movement but all ok,vehicle drives fine.
Can you hook into the wires from the speedo senser to acheive the pickup or does a conversion need doing.
All help greatly appreciated.
Regards Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muzza - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:35

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:35
Peter,
you can use the speedo output but a small circuit board must be built first. it is a fairly tricky little task. I would recommend that both the sensor and magnets be fitted to the same moving parts ie pick up on the back of the transfer case (the designing of a suitable bracket would be the only hiccup) and magnets on the handbrake drum?? Just my thoughts...

Cheers,
Muzza
AnswerID: 45856

Reply By: Cumbo - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:46

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:46
Peter

I fittedthe AP50 to a GQ42 last week and I screwed the bracket to the floorpan just behind the handbrake cable. I have had no problems as yet toch wood. I put them on the site at http://community.webshots.com/user/CUMBO106 if you want to have a look

CumboTD42
EFS
TX4400
Safari Snorkel
Rola Racks
Milford Barrier
Engel 39l
AnswerID: 45861

Reply By: joc45 - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 13:48

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 13:48
Peter,
Yes, the tailshaft shakes around a bit. I used to use about 8-10mm clearance so that the magnets wouldn't get hit. I also used araldite to fix the magnets to the shaft, and spread araldite to the anchoring wires as well. No further probs. There seemed to be enough signal picked up with that distance.
I looked at making a bracket fixed to the transfer case, but the large drum brake made it all too difficult.
On my GU, I connected the AP50 to my speedo sender, but I had to make a small interface circuit board to reduce the pulse rate from the sender. I notice that the more recent AP50s (mine's a 2001 model) have a more flexible software-programmed divider to cope with a wider range of pulse rates, and you may not need this interface. Otherwise, the sender electrically interfaces with the AP50 with no risk of electrical damage to the speedo/sender.
I have details if required. gerron@bigpond.net.au
Gerry
AnswerID: 45870

Reply By: Rowdy - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 18:42

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 18:42
Hi Peter,
On my Navara I bolted a bracket to the gearbox and set it up so that it looped around the uni joint to the magnets. That way the pick up sensor moves with the gearbox and does'nt foul the magnets. The sensor still works ok with about 12mm gap. Hope this helps. Rowdy
AnswerID: 45896

Reply By: goldfinder - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:14

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:14
I also recently fitted an AP60 to my GU and found no matter how I mounted the sensor and magnets contact occured when off road in rough terrain. As joc45 mentioned the AP60 is more versatile with it's pulse count input and I eventually did away with the magnets and sensor altogether. I simple cut the pulse count adjusting wire on the AP60 which adjusts the count from 2000/mile to 5000/mile and connected the blue sensor wire(originaly connected to the sensor coil) to the grey wire on the speedo pickup under the car. No more problems!! The other wire(black) on the original pickup is only at earth potential so isn't needed.
AnswerID: 45957

Sponsored Links