Cape York PDR Head-On

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 22:03
ThreadID: 103551 Views:2499 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Came across an ugly scene yesterday between Coen & Musgrave.

A landcruiser ute and patrol ute with camper trailer had just had a
head-on collision.

Cruiser on its side, patrol in table drain minus camper. Both vehicles front right wheel ripped off. All parties OK luckily.

Please travel a safe distance apart, with headlights on and SLOW DOWN. The dust and corrugations are getting bad now.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Iza B - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 07:15

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 07:15
Good advice, that bit about the lights. Met a Notso in the Simpson recently driving a maroon coloured Land Cruiser, not making radio calls and no lights. Driver offered Road Rage to a quiet suggestion he turn his lights on to increase his visibility, especially against the background of the red dunes. Felt sorry of the woman and young baby in the car with him.

Iza
AnswerID: 515871

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:08

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:08
It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't practice the basic colision avoidance methods.

So many seem to drive on country roads and tracks as if there will never be anybody comming the other way.

Of course keeping the speed down is important particularly approacing blind corners, crests and dips.

But placing your vehicle on the road in a way that gives you options and a chance of avoiding collision.

making a wide line comming into a corner may require you to slow down a little, take more thaught, more effort on the wheel and sometimes more courage. But it gives better visability thru the corner and more options on an exit line.

Yep and of late more vehicles are comming fitted with these low mounted "fog lights" appart from your actuall foggy conditions, one of the few other times it is legal to use these lights is in dusty conditions.

It also amazes me that people who would have no hesitation in turning lights on in fog or mist, would not do so in dust.

A collision in the city where tow trucks and ambulances are no more than 15 minutes away is bad enough, but when help could be hours away....HELL...think about it.

cheers
AnswerID: 515872

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:33

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:33
Regardless of road conditions, be they bitumen or dirt or desert, lights are easy to see against any background, especially if you have a dark coloured vehicle. Many of us don't acknowledge that we have a contrast problem with our eyesight as we get older, and don't quite pick things up until later.
I used to forever get back to my LC and find a flattening battery because I had forgotten to turn the lights off, so had them wired into my ignition so that I never forgot to turn them on or off. It's not expensive and COULD save your life.
AnswerID: 515879

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 11:06

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 11:06
I drive with headlights on pretty much all the time, makes sense that the increased visibility is very worthwhile.

. . . and a GREAT idea with the headlight rewiring Laurie.
Next lot of elec work I get done, will ask sparky to do that for me too.
FollowupID: 795166

Sponsored Links