dimming 2 seperate 12v leds using wireless remote control dimmers

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 21:24
ThreadID: 103575 Views:2297 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I am in the process of installing 12v led strip lights on my van. I have 2 set up that I want to be able to switch on and dim individually. I purchased 2 remote dimmers on separate occasions but have found on arrival of the 2nd unit, that it operates on the same frequency as the first. Hence either remote dims both lights. Has anyone a solution for this problem. I am wondering how many people have experienced having their led lights controlled by a camper in an adjacent camp using the same type of remote with the same operating frequency. Suggestions most welcome. I would prefer remote switches due to easier installation, but am wondering of this is possible.

Thanks Kc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 22:13

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 22:13
kcandco
This is just a possible.
Are the two control and slave units sealed? or are they clipped together packages and may have a small tuning switch or trim pot inside.

If they are openable, it may be possible to adjust the code pulse trim on one control and then align it's slave accordingly to the same frequency.
Only a thought it may be possible.
AnswerID: 515925

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 08:48

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 08:48
Just responded so that I can follow your thoughts

Phil
FollowupID: 795224

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 16:31

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 16:31
If they are the ones on ebay for about $8 ( same as the ones sold in a 4wd LED shop for about $45, I bought some and they do work great but are all the same frequency and codes. In the end I used one remote and one manual one with a knob and actually prefer the knob one more....

I did look for different brands / frequencies but could not find any.

Another note, they are pwm and save power. But they are very noisy electrically if you have an AM or HF radio.

AnswerID: 515952

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 18:19

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 18:19
When you consider how cheap these things are, don't expect too much.

Of course they will all be on the same frequecy.

NOW
I work with a arays of TVs at the moment...and yess all the remotes workl all the TVS.

there are a couple of tricks.

1 get real close to the reciever you want to work with.....sort of defeats the purpose don't it.

2 Put shutters on the on the recieving eye so it only accepts light from a narrow range....little bits of cardboard or dunny tubes will do it.

3 put ya remote in a tube...a long one so it only sends out a narrow beam.

all only marginally effective.

AHH...this wireless thing....its the cargo cult and the emporors new clothes combined of the new melenium.

Everybody want stuff to be wireless...realy its only one step short of harry potter with a magic wand.
There are very real limits to everything wireless.....and good reliable wireless aint cheap.

cheers
AnswerID: 515962

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 22:54

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 22:54
Or get orf ya fat arse and turn the knob.....
FollowupID: 795265

Reply By: kcandco - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 21:47

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 21:47
Thanks everyone for your input. I have pulled the slaves out of their boxes and they appear to have pots, but have yet to check the remotes themselves. My relative is into electronics so I might ask him to have a look at this for me. If it works out I will post the results. The remotes operate on radio frequency, so I dont know if it would be possible to shield the remote or slave to only accept one signal. The other option is using wired, but this will be more difficult due to feeding wire through walls. Wish me luck!!

Kc
AnswerID: 515975

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 06:25

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 06:25
The pots don't adjust the remote control frequency, they adjust the PWM ratio and frequency.
FollowupID: 795269

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 17:22

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 17:22
well if they are radio remotes...just the same but there is no hep for you and hell who knows what else could interfeer with them or they with it.

cheers
FollowupID: 795297

Follow Up By: kcandco - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 17:38

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 17:38
As a solution to the problem, I ended up placing a on/off switch in the circuit for each dimmer before the dimmer. That way I can switch dimmer a off, adjust dimmer b, switch dimmer b off and dimmer a on and adjust dimmer a. It sound complicated but works fairly well.
FollowupID: 796436

Sponsored Links