Wild flowers WA 2013

Submitted: Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 16:14
ThreadID: 103598 Views:2063 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
While waiting patiently for my new caravan (Coromal Element) to arrive so we can head off to the wirldflowers I was wondering if anyone has already been out and about. What are the wildflowers like this year after the long dry spells inland.
We hope to be in the new van by the end of this month and off, no doubt , very soon after but I am concerned we may miss the wildflowers and just have to drive around the great state of WA.
Any feedback on the Coromal Element would be appreciated asl well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: new boy - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 17:13

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 17:13
On the local ABC last Thursday they interviewed the Geraldton information centre lady she and her hubby had done a run Mulluewa ,Coalseam and further east cant remeber the exact route but she was pleasantly suprised at the wildflowers.So with a bit more rain due should be OK.We off to a station North east of Yalgoo on the weekend will get a better idea then.
AnswerID: 515957

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 10:12

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 10:12
It would be great to get our feedback thanks new boy - we hope to take a run next month and just wondering which way to head to be assured of catching a glimpse of our blooms.

The Rothsay run would probably be a reasonable bet this year.

Perhaps we could start a 'wildflower alert' thread and keep it as a 'sticky'. Will put it to the EO team for consideration.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 795278

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 21:40

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 21:40
Hi Bindoonblu.
Depends where you want to go. I photographed snail, helmet, flying duck, banded green hood and midge orchid last weekend. Will post some photos if allowed when i have time. Some of those are hard to find others easy. Snail orchids will be in most sandy wet bushland fromnow on.
Cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 515974

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 22:10

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 22:10
For what it's worth just finished a run through the Nth part of the GVD and it is awash with wildflowers - don't any names but there white ones and yellow ones and purple ones and red ones..........very pretty. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515977

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 06:39

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 06:39
Whoa up nelly. Your getting too excited too early.
Mid west wildflowers are still at least a month off.
Peak time is around mid september
AnswerID: 515982

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 08:30

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 08:30
OK, it's me I know, but having chased the WA wildflowers a few times in early spring, and seeing some 'lovely flowers' on the sides of the roads, I was left very disappointed at the quantity and variety of colours. Nice compared to barren land but that's about it.

Save your time and money and go check out the weeds at your local park.

I know it must get better than what I have seen, but they are more elusive than the yellow belly warbling tree frog.

AnswerID: 515985

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 10:15

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 10:15
You have to keep your eye on the weather in the mid west and pick your seasons
I went up in 08 and 11
And surely no one could fail to be impressed
This season should be worth the drive although possibly a bit patchy.
You also need to get off the road.
Western 4wder weekends out of perth has a couple of great drives out fron perenjori
FollowupID: 795279

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 10:17

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 10:17
Last year was very patchy. Best place for wildflowers was much closer to home in the perth foot hills. Whistle pipe gully back of forrestfield was particulary good
FollowupID: 795280

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:25

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:25
Wild flowers vary considerably year by year depending on how much rain and when. There will always be some in the coastal and south west. best move is to ring local tourist centres where you are wishing to go as some flowers will only grow in a small area. Road sides can be void of flowers due people that think one bunch won't hurt until none left. How often do you see a grey nomad with a great bunch of wild flowers in their van. The fines if applied would fix the short fall in GST payments to WA.

Basically ring ahead, be prepared to change route, and talk to travellers going other way.

Neil
AnswerID: 515992

Sponsored Links