Fitting Glind shower to Mazda BT50

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 10:50
ThreadID: 103631 Views:3727 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In the process of fitting a Glind shower unit to my BT50. A couple of questions for anyone else that has fitted one specifically to a current BT50 or Ranger.

I have mounted the pump behind the bullbar on the passenger side and will be mounting the heat exchanger in the same spot on the drivers side.

1. Looking at the firewall from the front which is the inlet and outlet hose for the heater (I know which are the heater hoses just want to know which is in and out) ?

2. Would you normally run the coolant continually through the heat exchanger or use ball valves to isolate it and only turn it on when you are using it ?

3. Any other tips or suggestions for either fitting or using the shower.

Cheers in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:58

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:58
The only difference is if you put it on the heater outlet the water will be a bit cooler...... maybe 65 Deg C compared with 75 Deg C..... plus it depends on the amount of water going through the heat exchanger

It doesn't really matter what side you go on as the water constantly flows through the heater core.

Some vehicle with a true heater tap can be used to adjust the temp of the water.

Most with a shower system will use the heat exchanger to heat the water into a bucket and then pump it out the bucket blended with cold water to get the temp right.

Apart from that we don't use one, we have another way that suits us better.

The downfall of this type of system is the amount of water you go through....... with ours we can shower in 1.5 - 2 Lts of water.

I would run the heat exchanger on all the time and not isolate it.... two reasons, less leak points and if coolant isn't continuously flowing through it there is a chance of corrosion.
AnswerID: 515991

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 19:15

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 19:15
Hi Mogul. You will probably pick flow from from the temperature differential between the two hoses. Look for a hose from the water pump as the most likely outlet to feed the heater. Turn the heater on though! I prefer using a T piece into the inlet and outlet and a heater tap (ford) on the flow side as I can regulate it from outside whilst having a shower and isolate the system to a degree when not in use. Many valid perspectives around but choice is basically down to personal need, risk of failure and space to fit.

Make sure that you ensure vibrations etc do not give rise to damage to the heater hoses, even the factory ones that can rub on other components.

Cheers, Leigh
AnswerID: 516018

Sponsored Links