How hard would it be to have a Austrlian registration and licence

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:53
ThreadID: 103634 Views:2510 Replies:10 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Considering that so many people are moving to other state for work military people and other workers who have to moved for work

would it not be much more simple and effective to have one registration covering all of Australia

To me it would be much fairer system so why not do it .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 13:01

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 13:01
I agree a strong case for national rego & licence exists.
Ditto for road rules & regulations.

But, can you seriously see any state relinquishing control of anything???
I'm not attempting to be cynical, but merely realistic.

Cheers
AnswerID: 515995

Follow Up By: greywiki - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 15:48

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 15:48
I have read with a great deal of interest your comments on registration through the various states.
Planning to send a vehicle from NZ across to OZ next year for a 11 month lap involving all states. If you guys have problems, what am I letting myself in fore, a problem in each state?? Our current NZ plate is not a standard alpha numeric but a personal plate which we paid extra for.
If anybody has any advice on this dilemma all much appreciated.

Many thanks
FollowupID: 795335

Follow Up By: disco driver - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:22

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:22
Greywiki,
All the issues mentioned here only come into effect when moving from one state to another more or less permanently.

My understanding is that as an overseas tourist driving your own vehicle around Australia you should not have any issues with the various state authorities as long as your vehicle is correctly registered and insured the whole time you are here in this country.

If I'm wrong you can be sure that someone with more knowledge will jump on and correct me.

Disco.
FollowupID: 795347

Follow Up By: mynance - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 20:08

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 20:08
A carnet is similar to a personal passport and contains all the relevant information about the vehicle - make, model, colour, engine capacity, seating capacity, registration number, owner and value.

A carnet is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. There are a number of conditions attached to the use of carnets in Australia. Some of those conditions are:

The vehicle must be exported from Australia prior to or on the expiry date of the carnet.

It is a condition of use of a carnet in Australia that you, do not leave the vehicle that is covered by a carnet in Australia while you are not here. Should you do so, this is a breach of the provisions of the Customs Act 1901 and Customs Regulations 1926. Once a breach has occurred, the security amount equivalent to the duty and GST (and Luxury Car Tax (LCT), if applicable) will be called up by Customs.
FollowupID: 795351

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 13:38

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 13:38
Gidday

Great idea. As Sam kekovich would say, you know it makes sense. That's why it will never happen.

Cheers

AnswerID: 515999

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 13:44

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 13:44
Allein
I dont know about fairer, it might be easier for those that do move around, but dont get fooled by thinking that by giving it to the Federal Gov that it will be better and fairer overall.

State roads are also funded I guess by a portion of Rego fees, so the Fed would need to step up and take on more of that cost.

I would also assume those move around for residency would be in the minority so why change a system to suit the minority

Alan
AnswerID: 516000

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 07:23

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 07:23
It's not just those moving around who would benefit from a national approach. We all pay for having eight different governments all duplicating effort. It's like a sheltered workshop for public servants. Imagine if we had 8 separate immigration departments with red tape every time you crossed a state border - well what we have with cars amounts to the same thing.
The only good thing about separate state authorities is that when you become persona non grata in one, you can transfer licenses, rego etc to another.
The States are a waste of space and duplication of effort. They are defined by arbitrary lines drawn on a map 200 years ago. With modern travel and communication they are meaningless.
Bob
FollowupID: 795321

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 09:53

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 09:53
Bob

We are going off topic a little, National Rego to abolition of the states.

You may save some money by abolishing the states and having the Federal Governement take over the delivery of services, but do you really think they will do it better!

You would end up even more politisized distrubution of services, rememeber the Minister af few years ago distrubuting funds to safe party seats based on a scribbles on a whiteboard.
Politizing still does happen at all levels but at over all there is distrubution.
People want Local Government to exist because it represents and addresses local issues, the next level addresses issues that concern a wider audience, then the Federal Govt exists.
FollowupID: 795325

Reply By: allein m - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 15:05

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 15:05
I can vaguely r ember years ago in western Australia where local shires had there own traffic cops but the problem is each state has some different rules and method of registration

some have very basic inspections others have strict yearly inspections from what I have seen in NSW it seems it depends on who you know and where you go to get your pink slip done .

AnswerID: 516003

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 16:02

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 16:02
This is yet another strong argument for the abolition of state governments. The sooner the better. We only have state governments hoisted upon us by our forefathers so that they could get Federation through. It is a mix of the Westminster system and the American system (with the states).

It won't happen because power hungry pollies who drain and bleed this country dry will never agree to it.

Bring on the revolution : )

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 516007

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 16:21

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 16:21
yes I agree far too many snouts at the feeding trough sort of thing..

I personally think we sack local and state government and with better management we might be a much better country

example how many local councils have been sack by state governments for mismanagement answer far too many

FollowupID: 795291

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 16:24

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 16:24
Right on Jack. State governments are the biggest single cause of waste, duplication of services and procrastination this country has. The Pollies go around in circles for ever blaming each other. The High Court lawyers grow rich. But the one thing you can guarantee is that the States would agree to oppose the idea if it ever went to a referendum. And you can guarantee that which ever party was in opposition in Canberra at the time they would run a fear campaign against the proposal on the grounds that it was a "grab for power" by the other mob.
Water management, energy, health, education, transport etc etc. We need a single national policy on the lot.
FollowupID: 795292

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 14:50

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 14:50
"how many local councils have been sack by state governments for mismanagement answer far too many".
Yes far too many allein m and yet WALGA (West Aus Local Gov Assoc) has the temerity to constantly advertise itself as "the most trusted form of government"!!!!
Maybe they don't read or listen to the news.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 795332

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 20:12

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 20:12
Damn hard, well someone has to say it even if we really want something else! Take for example fuel excise which is a fed tax but not so many years ago was a state tax which was ZERO in QLD and when it went to the feds we were given a subsidy of 8 cents to refund the tax. Only took a few years for that to disappear and now we have some of the most expensive fuel in the country. Your rego idea would be the same bad deal for QLD. We don't currently have yearly roadworthy inspections and I would assume that as other states do (well NSW does) we would have to dig deep and pay for another system that doesn't work so I for one would say no way unless there was no roadworthy involved - see how difficult this gets.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 516023

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 17:05

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 17:05
Beatit, I think you will find if you do a little research that the 8 cents per litre was special levies on fuel by other state governments to fund their own road programs and has nothing to do with Federal Government excise that has always been paid by Queensland motorists. The other states originally collected the money themselves until that action was ruled invalid by (I think) the High Court. The Feds took over collection and handed the money back to the states. Queensland used to give it back via the oil companies but good old Anna Bligh could not resist the temptation and put it into Government coffers.
The history of these things is as important as it is in explaining why we have state governments. They are the building blocks that make up our Nation. And that is most unlikely to change.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795338

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 17:56

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 17:56
@KevinS,
Got it in one! The Federal government is just that, a government made up of a federation of the states. The constitution is not even an Australian law, it is British!
So ... long story short, the States will not vote themselves out of existence, and the only ways to rid ourselves of the waste is to either, have the British parliament amend the constitution of Australia to "unwrite" the states, OR get some sensible discussions happening between Fed and States, and remove duplications.
I, for one, will vote to remove the states if asked, but not holding breath waiting!
FollowupID: 795340

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 07:44

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 07:44
G'day Kevin,
I was aware of the background but just truncated the story to keep it simple. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember hahahaha.
It goes back to a NSW court case where the power to levie an excise by the states was challenged by a storekeeper who was I think fiddling the cigarette prices or selling chop chop and as you know the High Court ruled state excise as illegal. Only the Commonwealth had the power to excise but to save the state tax base a "work around" was quickly organised. I know this remains truncated!

And with a part of my life working in Government I can agree that our taxes are constantly wasted by politicians and serving public service - but we all know that!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 795364

Reply By: WayneD - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 07:02

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 07:02
Try moving overseas for a couple of years and moving you car to your son or daughter in another state at the same time. Now that is a nightmare.
Moved from NSW to Singapore but kept my 4wd (spent too much on it) and drove it to Darwin to leave with my daughter. The vehicle had to be registered in the NT as it would be there longer than 3 months, but because I was not living there they would not register it in my name. Could not insure it because it was NSW plate and residing in NT.
In the end had to transfer it in to my daughters name ($$$) so we could register and insure in NT.
Now the vehicle is going to QLd because of son in laws Army transfer and I am now in America for the next 6 months.
Agree one National rego would have made this soooo easy.
AnswerID: 516032

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 13:13

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 13:13
I was reading to use the great central hwy you need two permits to travel one from WA other NT this could be just a small example of the amount of doubling up required

regarding vehicle inspections of it was uniform across the board that in its self may help with the road toll in reducing the number of unroad worthy cars

but I also agree it will never happen in our life time may be in time it may happen

Thank you for your replies i know many of you travel all over this wonderful land and so some times find the different rules and regulations difficult to work with and often extra effort and expense required
AnswerID: 516040

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 13:20

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 13:20
I don't agree at all with a national system. As it would only ever follow the hard line states like NSW or VIC.
As it is I have no trouble at all renewing my licence or rego on the car and van from anywhere in Australia, doing it online. Something you wouldn't be able to do with the draconian laws elsewhere. I also think states need to keep a level of seperation, as each state is very different for a reason, not one rule applies to the same situation in different states.

Cheers
Al

AnswerID: 516042

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 14:58

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 14:58
We're the same people just living in different parts Al. Being different is just one of those myths perpetuated by all our levels of government to keep themselves in slack jobs plus all their hangers on.
I was chatting to a Singaporean once when there was a push for a republic going on and he said then "You don't want to worry about the Queen being the figure head of the country, you should be worried about having so many governments".
Totally ludicrous in this day and age to be bound by state lines drawn many many moons ago when you had to get about by horse, camel or boat.
AlanH.

FollowupID: 795333

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 16:08

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 16:08
I completely agree with Alan TH. The State Pollies have a vested interest in telling us that they are protecting their state from all the other wicked states. They are a very inefficient and expensive hangover from the days before Federation when each State genuinely was essentially a separate country, even with their own militia and navy.
FollowupID: 795336

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 18:53

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 18:53
slack jobs in govt departments? Inefficient? Rip-off, gouging at every opportunity?

....and we work our nuts off to pay for them.
FollowupID: 795343

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 17:48

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 17:48
Years ago if you were in the Army/Navy/Airforce you could keep your state issued license and registration no matter that you were posted to another state as it was your 'home state' , the rules changed when state Govt's convinced Howard they were losing to much $$ due to the anomaly.
AnswerID: 516099

Sponsored Links