Removing a Body Lift?

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 12:23
ThreadID: 103652 Views:4945 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently bought myself a 2000 Hilux SR5 3L Diesel and it has come with both an EFS 1.5" suspension lift and a 2" Body Lift. I'd like to set the Hilux up as more of a touring vehicle than a bush basher and think removing the body lift will make things a lot more suitable (i.e. getting gear in and out of the back, less of a wind sail etc).

Can anyone give advice on doing something like this? I have found a little info on installing a body lift on a hilux, but nothing about the reverse. Is there anything that I should be looking out for especially on this model of Hilux? Any recommendations on a good body mount kit to replace the bushes etc whilst I am at it?

FWIW, I'd be interested in what it might roughly cost me to pay a professional to do it too.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 16:53

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 16:53
J4rchie
The person who fitted the 2" body lift probably wasn't a professional, not sure what they are, and if handy with tools and aware of things you can return it to OE yourself.

Maybe, you check, the lift has just used spacers above the original Mount pints and the OE rubber bushes and apart from the appropriate shorter bolts required you may be able to remove the lift blocks one side at a time.
The body may have a centre rear mount and it may have had a spacer plate added which will need removing too.

The steering spline on the steering shaft will have been loosened to allow the shaft to slide longer and that will have to be loosened so it will go back into original position as the body comes down. Re tighten afterwards of course.

The radiator may be in a different position and/or the shroud will have been repositioned lower, has to go back up if yes.

If there is a bull bar it may have been positioned differently for the lifted body and may require a lower bolted position.

Carefully look at any hoses and brake line/clutch lines and wiring to see if they are ok to allow down movement.

The gear stick/s will come up through the floor as the body goes down so attention is needed there too.

If it has larger tyres then the lift may be there to prevent tyre/body contact on turns and when susp. is compressed. Look at that first it may decide further action.

As far as a body mount kit, if only additions have been added then you are only going to subtract.

There may be a few other items I haven't mentioned so a bit generic and possibly not as specific as it needs to be.
Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 516050

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 20:11

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 20:11
Might be a long shot but you could pop over to NewHilux.net and you might find someone willing to remove it for you in return for keeping the gear for themselves
AnswerID: 516065

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 05:38

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 05:38
As above. Radiator will be missing the lower half of the shroud if left in place, or the mounts have been changed.
The fuel filler hose may have been replaced (check long range tank? Some actually require a body lift the fit) loosen the hose prior, then refit.
Loosen the steering shaft joiner half way down the engine bay.
Make sure bullbar and tow bar will go down if they have been moved - sliders same.
If its a 2" lift then all the ht bolts will be different as well - 6 body 4 tub.
There's also every possibility that the tunnel around the gear stick has been belted out of shape and won't sit back down. That or the gear stick has been cut and welded to suit the new position.....
The handbrake line clips down behind the gearbox will be broken also.
Sure you need to remove it?
AnswerID: 516113

Reply By: J4rchie - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 13:08

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 13:08
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I really appreciate how helpful people are on the ExplorOz forums... However, I don't think I will be doing much to this Hilux at all because the engine has packed it in (only half a day after the original post). The diesel mechanic has done a pressure test and there is no compression in the first cylinder. I've spent the last couple of days shopping around for replacements and have worked out that in the long run it would be better to sell the car (as is) to someone willing to put in the work. Absolutely shattered.

On the plus side, I have been able to cut my losses and sell the car very quickly and now I will be saving the pennies to try again down the track.

Thanks again for your advice.
AnswerID: 516176

Sponsored Links