CCA jumper leads

Submitted: Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 07:16
ThreadID: 103686 Views:2054 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Just bought a pair of HD jumper leads from a company in Melbourne for $109 wanted the cable as I knew the clamps would be rubbish, but the cable turned out to be aluminium with a copper coating. When I phoned the company and complained stating a little bit of false advertising he wanted to charge me $45 to take them back, he then called me a rude word and started swearing. Beware when purchasing and ask what they are made of, I have purchased over 20 items from China and 2 from Australia and guess what two were misleading and they say buy Australian we are our own worse enemies.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:48

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:48
Unfortunately the guy you bought them from properly sourced then out of China for 1/10 to price you paid.

Anywhere you will get people selling stuff; you will always find the odd one who offer no customer support during and after the sale.

Did you buy them online or from a bricks and mortar business.

All you can do is lodge a complaint with your states "Fair Trading" mob and see what they can do.

The sad thing is you paid good money for them, BTW how did you know they were not 100% copper.

AnswerID: 516124

Follow Up By: Scotty - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:24

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:24
My wife said she had picked them up at the post office and I said how did you manage to carry them and she replied, oh they weren't that heavy ( ding)....
FollowupID: 795426

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 15:32

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 15:32
Scotty,

I was under the impression that aluminum is a better conductor than copper anyway, and is considerably lighter too.

As you said, put some good clamps on them, and they might be the goods, as long as the cable is thick enough.

A bloke made me a set out of welding cable, $350, heavy as, but you could jumpstart anything from a quad bike to a jumbo jet.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795448

Follow Up By: Scotty - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 15:44

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 15:44
Bob,
Aluminium is about 70% of copper per conductivity and a lot lighter. Without getting tech it all depends on the state of the slave battery you are trying to jump start etc etc. the point is it was deceptive on the retailers part, I think that's a part of modern life in Australia.
FollowupID: 795450

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 20:14

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 20:14
Scotty,
Did the ad that induced you to buy said objects specifically say they were "Copper" or were they just advertised as xxxAmp Jumper leads (which they may well be) and you automatically assumed that they would be copper, and now you feel ripped off.
If that's the case, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Sorry but that's the way things are these days, not illegal, not deceitful as they were xxxAmp Jumper leads.
If they were advertised as Copper jumper leads and they are not as advertised then you have a case.

Disco.
FollowupID: 795463

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 09:21

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 09:21
The hi voltage powerlines running down your street are aluminium :-)
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 795478

Follow Up By: Scotty - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 09:42

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 09:42
Hi Insanity,
Yes they are at 33,000volts, I used to work for international power lines, so what is your point?

Your all tied up in your own agenda, same as the previous blogger, the point I was trying to make is that the retail outlet would NOT take the product back or if he did he wanted to charge me half its value. Now before any of your other cronies start blogging about your sisters brother heard this guy at the pub saying this. I have owned and operated a national company for 35 years and my policy is always refund the client 100% because it does not matter how many good deeds you do it's the one bad one which you are always judged on.

Unlike the previous blogger, It is not a common practice by retailers, only a few and unfortunately it's the few bad ones if not brought to task that will bring the industry down.
FollowupID: 795480

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 11:25

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 11:25
Sorry Scotty - how did the delivered items not meet the specs of the advertised item? I am a bit confused.

You said they would not take them back but if they are are as advertised and not faulty then the seller has no obligation to take them back.

Seems to me you bought the wrong item and you want to blame the seller for your poor decision and come on this forum for a bleat.

Now if the items were not as advertised or faulty then I agree with you but you have not yet told us how they do failed to meet specs - except you were expecting copper wires and your are copper covered aluminium.
FollowupID: 795489

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 15:40

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 15:40
Hi
Unless the add specfied "Copper cables ",you do not have a leg to stand on
Iif the ad said xxxxAmps jumper cables then they most likely comply with two requirements
[a]short term current carrying capacity
[b]Voltage drop requirementsat THAT current

The correct sized Al cable does the equivalent to copper cable.
Are Al as good in that situation ?, not in my opinion as they are not as tolerant to being frequently rolled & unrolled, but they are lighter in weight.
They are naturally cheaper

PeterQ
FollowupID: 795540

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:53

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:53
Regardless of the emotion and what has been previoulsy said.

Jumper leads are one of those things that are almost impossible to get in a good quality item.

Almost never are thay properly specified, almost never are they as good quality or as adequate ad they are sold.

Almost without exception the clamps are poor and the cable is more plastic than metal.
And very often, a very small amount of metal and poorly terminated.

Yes aluminium is a good conductor...but in jumper leads is is used for one reason and one reason only..that is because it is cheaper than copper....cheaper to buy and cheaper to ship.

Sorry but appart from a very few you may find....If you want a realy good set of jumper leads you either have to make them or get them made.

sorry but that is the way it is.

I baught my first pair of crappy jumper leads over 30 years ago..and have not owned a shop baught jumper lead since.

cheers
AnswerID: 516213

Follow Up By: Scotty - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 23:17

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 23:17
Hi Bantam,

Unfortunatley you are correct, the jumper lead quality was very poor and there is no way that they (the cable and clamps) would handle the load which was specified in the ad. The point that I was bleating about, as one blogger stated, was the fact that the retailer was very rude and abusive.
I had spoke to him at length before purchasing the item and it was not as described in the ad or in any communication with him, not a very nice chap at all....so buy Australian
FollowupID: 796399

Sponsored Links