Oil in my HZJ78R Troopy

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 10:32
ThreadID: 103699 Views:2658 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day fellas, I bought a good second hand Troopy with 160,000 Klm on the clock. The guy I bought it off ran Castrol 15-40 diesel oil and was happy with it so I changed the oil with new stuff (just because I wanted to start fresh) next 5000 klm I did the same (no oil use between changes) then I thought I'd try Castrol Magnatec 15-40 (thought it'd be good) but next service discovered oil level down by nearly a litre (I had been keeping an eye on it). Thought maybe the friction modifiers might be putting a coat of extra Zinc (I think it's zinc they put in the oil to help make it slippery) between rings and cylinder walls causing oil use.
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'm thinking of just spending another $130 and going back to the older style oil before it causes any trouble.
What's your thoughts.

Old Dog
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 12:07

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 12:07
Old dog
Why did you change, just because Castrol has a name and markets Magnatec doesn't mean it suits your engine or is the best performer in it.

Try using Mobil Delvac MX or Caltex Delo and you may find it seals the rings better than most and it won't use much oil at all. These oils, if bought at a depot or truck service centre won't cost any more than inferior oils do.
or
just use the original oil you used if happy with it.
If they, Castrol, have to use a cricketer to promote their oil then it musn't be selling itself by being good. Only good if a cricketer uses it? Doesn't make sense to me.

Ross M
AnswerID: 516172

Follow Up By: Old dog - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 16:10

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 16:10
G'day Ross, thanks for your quick reply. The reason I went to Magnatec is, I live in Tassie and at the moment my misses is driving the Troopy to and from work which is only 5mins away from home. I've got her warming up the old girl (Troopy that is) but we've been having frost every other morning and with short, cold, stop starts I thought that some extra protection might be good. It had nothing to do with the advertising (I've not seen it myself)
Anyway I dropped it out today and have gone back to RX Super (the oil she had originally)

Thanks again for your wisdom.

Old Dog
FollowupID: 795497

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 13:06

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 13:06
Why are you changing the oil at 1/2 the service interval?
The schedule for them is every 10000
Besides that its very unusal for a 1hz to use much oil.
It can vary alot on the dipstick and the only real way is to check it in your driveway parking at the same spot after leaving it to stand all night
Even then you can get inconsistent results as long as its above add all is good
AnswerID: 516175

Follow Up By: Old dog - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 16:16

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 16:16
G'day, get outmode,
I live in Tassie and of late we've been having frost every other morning and my little woman has been driving to and from her work place (which is only 5 mins away) I've got her into the habit of warming up the vehicle for 10mins but with cold, short, stop start running I thought it good to try something with a friction modifier and change it more regularly. I'm certainly not made of money but I figure it's good insurance; clean oil, fuel and air.
I usually check the oil every week before I start her up on the weekend, that's how I knew something was happening.

Thanks for your wisdom.
Old Dog.
FollowupID: 795498

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 14:14

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 14:14
Any oil within the specs will be OK.... cheap or expensive.

Using oil is not a bad sign and many engines these days will use oil between intervals.

Now for the disclaimer..... excessive oil consumption is BAD (full Stop)

Your idea regarding friction.... the lesser the friction the lesser the wear the more oil you use, the higher the friction the more wear and the lesser oil you use.... so in that theory you're better with an oil that does reduce friction.

The lesser the friction better the fuel economy, more power, longer component life.

As I said there is a BIG difference between oil use and excessive oil use.
AnswerID: 516178

Follow Up By: Old dog - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 16:23

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 16:23
G'day olcoolone,
Thanks for your reply and wisdom. I have just come up from draining the oil and using what was in her originally, which is RX Super. An expensive exercise but I think it was worth it.
Maybe the reason she used oil was that I live in Tassie and we have had frost every other day and my little woman is driving to and from her work place (5 mins away) so with very cold starts coupled with short, stop start runs perhaps this was the reason (she does warm up the engine for 10 mins) But she now has what she has had for 100,000 klms or more and I hope that will be the end of that.

Thanks again for your quick response and for your wisdom.

Old Dog
FollowupID: 795499

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 17:14

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 17:14
Ok for starters STOP getting her to warm the wagon up for 10min
No one ever recommends that especially the manufacturers. It does little to warm up the engine and just annoys the neighbours
In 15min she could ride or walk to work if its a 5 min drive
The best way to warm it up is idle it for about 20seconds until oil pressure is up then drive it normally without over revving it
AnswerID: 516184

Follow Up By: Old dog - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 20:37

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 20:37
G'day mate, you're right she could walk and does in spring/summer but it's either freezing or wet right now so the troopy is the only option.
So you reckon to stop the 10 min warm up? I was always told that the quickest way to stuff up a diesel is to drive them cold. When I have had to just get in and go she rattles under load until she's warm.

Old Dog
FollowupID: 795509

Reply By: gqturbo - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 20:28

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 20:28
i used magnatec diesel in my prado for a few oil changes and the prado burnt it too .
My local Repco manager said other people had the same result with it.
AnswerID: 516192

Follow Up By: Old dog - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:32

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:32
G'day gqturbo,
good to hear it's not just me.
Thanks again
FollowupID: 795525

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:28

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:28
Dog mate you have to go a very long way to do better than the diesel spec oils.

AND most of them will handily outperform and out spec many of the higher priced more heavily promoted retail oils...in both diesel and petrol applications...even in the same brand.

What ever oil you want to look at...load up the spec sheet and put it beside any of the good diesel spec oils.....almost without exception the diesel spec oil will spank the other.

The top ( by independent assessment) three generally available diesel spec oils world wide are Mobi devlac, shell rimular and caltex dello...and there is bugger all to seperate them.
about half a pace behind is castrol RX super.l

In all but the very latest vehicles any of the above you cant go wrong with.

In the very latest vehicle you may have to look and select a grade and spec from the oil ranges above to meet the spec from the manufacturer.

In caltex for exampe that may mean stepping up from dello 400 to dello LE, for a modern common rail diesel.
BUT be assured somewhere in there there will be an oil that meets or exceed the spec you need and it will be a better oil than lots of the overpriced over sold retail oils.

Now...you should..if you are shopping well be able to buy any of the above for under $100 for a 20 litre.

Buy where the truckies buy.
Local fuel depot or service station where the truckies fuel up.

OH......BTW..buy ya filters where the truckies doo too......diesel spares shop...you will pay less for a better filter....may not be a brand you recognise from the retail stores.
Sakura, donaldson or fleetguard you can not go wrong with.

cheers
AnswerID: 516211

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:38

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:38
Oh why do I and others sound like a cracked record on this matter.

Because someone else did us the favour of pointing this out, we have cheacked it out and proven it right.

It saves us money and our vehicles run better for it.

Check it out, and when you prove it right, return us the favour by passing the information on.

cheers
FollowupID: 795526

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:40

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:40
OH...remember there is a whole pile of complete and utter BS in the retail oil advertising.

cheers
FollowupID: 795527

Follow Up By: Old dog - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:42

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:42
G'day Bantam,
thanks for the good oil, sorry about the pun, but that's great advice, don't know if you've read the previous entries but I've put RX Super back in her yesterday. That was what was in it originally.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Old Dog
FollowupID: 795528

Sponsored Links