Dual battery on new Holden Colorado

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 12:15
ThreadID: 103703 Views:11091 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, haven't read forum for a while and not very good on the search function so this may have been covered recently.

My question is, can I use a standard battery isolator to set up the dual battery in the rear of the ute? I have been told that the alternator is computer controlled and could cause problems? A dc- dc charger($300 extra) is recommended. Has anyone installed a dual battery in the new Colorado and offer any advice. If Derek is reading, I have all the sidewinder parts from another vehicle I was going to use so would value your advice?

Thank you

Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 14:05

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 14:05
Yes you have been told right BUt asking this question you are opening a can of worms on this forum.

A DC-DC charger is a good idea on any dual battery system on any vehicle and it offers 100% battery efficiency...... many will say you don't need it and a simple ignition switched relay is all you need.

Most who comment of the CONS of DC-DC charging have never used them..... and still think black and white TV is the way to go.

Both systems Relay/solnoid or a DC-DC charger will offer a good solution..... just that one is a lot better.

I won't go into detail of the voltage/amperage state of charge thing as it will only confuse you and it's information you don't need to know yet!

I will leave that up to the white coat brigade to do....LOL

AnswerID: 516177

Reply By: Member - Brian C (ACT) - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 15:49

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 15:49
Hi We have a Colorado and have a second battery in the tary which keeps the Engle running through a DC-DC charger, It has worked fine for two years and has done the big lap and a few other bits with no problems at all.
Cheers BC

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 516181

Reply By: steved58 - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 15:55

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 15:55
As you allready have the isolator I would go with that I did and have always been happy with it if the alternator needs to boost the voltage look on sidwinders site for the altenator fuse as it will boost the voltage to that required However if you would like your system to be 100% whether you need it to be or not then it seems dc to dc is the way to go I personally find my solenoid works for me and am happy with the battery life so no need to spend the extra money

So it comes down to your usage personal likes and finances to what the solution will be they all work its just how well and at what cost
Steve
AnswerID: 516182

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 18:55

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 18:55
The main thing with DC-DC chargers is to use a large one. Get one rated at C/4 or C/5, that means one that will charge at 25 or 20 A for a 100 Ah battery.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 516188

Sponsored Links