Best way to secure camper trailer from theft at home & while traveling

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 10:59
ThreadID: 103713 Views:2613 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Notice a few campers/caravans/vehicles have gone missing on the forum, what is the best way to stop theft while we are traveling and when we have it shedded at home.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:08

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:08
Hi Jomi

Here are a few ways - do singly or do a number at the same time -some work better when shedded others suit the field.

Put a big chain thru the wheel and around the axle and padlock- it will slow them down.

If you have a Tregg type hitch get a hi-tensile bolt and padlock it through the coupling hole. There are aftermarket versions of this available.

Wheel clamp

Take a wheel off

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 516210

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:50

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:50
As mentioned, I have a very large chain with Abus padlock, this goes through the rim and around the suspension. I also have the Treg lock for the hitch, this can also be used when hitched to the car.
FollowupID: 795530

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 17:33

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 17:33
For a conventional hitch, I have one of these:

Although that's the first time I have seen someone attach secondary locking cables to it.

Unless you have an oxy or a grinder (or the key!) you won't be getting it off.
FollowupID: 795542

Follow Up By: Roughasguts - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 13:41

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 13:41
Well you might think this coupling lock is safe!

But all you need to do is un bolt the whole coupling then replace it with a new one you bought earlier might cost you 20/40 bucks.

And there is still another way but why make that common knowledge.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 795604

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 21:03

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 21:03
Best way to stop the theft of them from the forum is not to leave them unattended on these pages.
You cannot trust anyone on here at all

In a more serious vein, get sone big chain, wrap it round the axel and the the rim and padlock it. If you have enough chain do both rims and axel/chassis

regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 516254

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 15:43

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 15:43
I read references to chain above. But the theifs will always have a bolt cutter in the back.

I would get the biggest chain that I can reasonably put through the wheels and around the axle and then go to a lock shop and get the biggest padlock, again within reason, and a padlock cover for said padlock.

The chain that I used was made from links about two inches across with the metal diameter just thick enough to allow the chain to be flexible.

Then I would make sure that every single thing in it is covered by insurance.

No!! Not a bundle of browns. Tempting isn't it. You could always put a sign on the door warning them of the snakes. They take it - they get killed - shame - they were warned. Ain't my problem. I don't think I would do that but it did cross my mind.

Another idea. Go to a locksmith and ask them. May be fruitful. Asking costs nothing.

Phil
AnswerID: 516296

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 16:18

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 16:18
If it's a pain in the bum for you to lock it up, then it's a pain in the bum for the thief to try and unlock it.

You will never stop a determined thief, but you can make it hard for them to get it. The more deterrents you have the better.
AnswerID: 516299

Sponsored Links