slipper springs

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 22:53
ThreadID: 10373 Views:7879 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I read everywhere that slipper springs on trailers for off-road use are not recommended, can someone please tell me why?
Vin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 22:59

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 22:59
Basically because they're light weight and not up to the job.

Under heavy off road situations I understand they can rebound out of the slipper guide.

Wear is also an issue which should not be overlooked.Fidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 45930

Reply By: WOMBAT - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 23:26

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 23:26
Hi Vin , have been building off road trailers for year to hire out with slipper spring and had no problems , Have towed then up the canning stock route and to cape york several times Go slipper

wombat
AnswerID: 45932

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:03

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:03
To each their own , and partly it depends on application but I wouldn't be having an Offroad trailer with slippers.
AnswerID: 45951

Follow Up By: vin57 - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:46

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:46
flappan

for what reason?
FollowupID: 307914

Follow Up By: flappan - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:28

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:28
During my research for buying a campertrailer . . . I came across a few people that had slippers come out in offroad conditions. Also a couple break, but that I guess could happen to any spring.

What I was told was that Slippers are designed to carry a load , but don't really allow up and down movement while carrying that load (ie bitumen compared to corrigations).

I have used a slipper spring trailer offroad, and I didn't have many problems with it , but compared to my campertrailer , it seemed to bounce around a lot more, and didn't get as much wheel travel (not like it has miles of travel anyway mind you).

So as I said, depending on application.

If it was a relatively lightweight offroad trailer (not camper) then you could probably get away with slippers , if its a heavy duty or campertrailer then I would be looking at eye to eye. NO chance of them coming out.

Hey, thats my opinion anyway . . . happy to listen to more mechanically minded.
FollowupID: 307925

Reply By: ianmc - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:59

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:59
Slipper springs are often very short & with high camber and I have seen them crack over the axle.
Mechanically they are poor design & may well come out of rear hanger if not carefully installed.
Some have said that the cheaper imported version are inferior to the local ones & not much diff in price if U can fine out where they are actually made & prices vary enormously in my home town.
Having experienced both in trailers & the choppy ride given by the rigid slippers vs. the shackle type I would never contemplate slippers. Just drive behind a slipper suspended trailer, van or boat & watch the constant sharp up & down bouncing which can wreck the load.
AnswerID: 45992

Reply By: Member - Peter- Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:57

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:57
Another reason for not using slipper springs in off road conditions is that all the axle/spring location is done by the pin and front eye on the spring. I've had two front eyes break on other members of a convoy trailer on two different trips. These were on lightly laden <500kg Gross campers.
AnswerID: 46037

Sponsored Links