What tow vehicle to buy?

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:15
ThreadID: 103760 Views:2842 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I know there have been lots of posts about 'what tow vehicle to buy?' but for me, most have been biased toward 'heavy end' re van or tow vehicle. I have a slightly different question.
Currently tow my Jayco Starcraft 12.38 (tare 920kg; gross less than 1300kg) with 2.5L petrol Subaru Forester (load limit 1400kg braked; 140 kg downball limit). Forester copes OK but surely doesn't like long or steep hills. Wanting to upgrade to tow vehicle with more grunt, with 4WD or AWD not necessarily a high priority.
Have looked at Falcon XR6, Territory diesel RWD and Kia Sorento diesel AWD and beginning to get confused. Like the Territory but any comments/recommendations/other suggestions welcomed.
Hugo C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:43

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:43
I would buy a 200 series Landcruiser, you can't beat them for towing.

Off road they are very capable with good comfort on road, I wouldn't go the GX but the GXL are good and the VX is better value for money.

Seriously you have to choose a vehicle that you like and suits your needs and budget, you don't ask everyone at the local shop what is the better brand of milk.... what colour shirt should I buy.

The reason I have answered this way is ONLY YOU can choose the vehicle you want, what might be good for one may be bad for someone else and on a forum you're going to get 20 people offering 20 different solutions.

All I can suggest is narrow it down to a few vehicles and then ask questions on those two vehicles only and see what people say.

The tree you have mentioned are great vehicles and you will like them, but there are many more and you have to make your own decision..... would you ask to guy at the local fish and chip shop what you should do with $20,000 + and then make a decision from his advice...... probably not.

We change vehicles every two to three years for us privately and for our business, we have not bought a vehicle because we don't like the sound system, the gear stick is uncomfortable, the seats don't suit us and a range of other things I could not live with day in day out.... everyone is different in what they want and expect.

No use buying something because everyone else likes it, you're the one who has to live with it and it's your money.

BTW the Territory is a great car and we have them on lone when getting vehicle serviced by the Ford dealership, the diesel is a great drive.

I take it you're looking at new?
AnswerID: 516385

Follow Up By: Hugo C - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 13:14

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 13:14
Thanks Olcoolone

Yes...new vehicle is the idea. Further key point is that vehicle will also serve as the daily drive, and 'she who helps tow the van' is less than 5 ft tall. Getting into the Sorento would be a struggle for her, let alone a Landcruiser. Accept all your points about 200 series as tow vehicle, but it's probably also out of price range. Thanks for positive comments about the Territory.

Hugo C
FollowupID: 795740

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 18:03

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 18:03
This is one thing as I mentioned re not buying a certain vehicle because of little things...... as you have said about your partner getting in and out of a Sorento, this is why it is so important for you to find a few vehicles that suit your needs and then ask questions.

Most vehicles in the price range you're looking at are very good and owners love them, the Territory is hard to go past but the Hyundai and Kia (same company, same platform) are top notch vehicles offering very good value for money.

The only thing I don't like about local built vehicles is the quality and feel, we sold a 2010 FG XR6 turbo ute about 12 months ago and the build a quality of the trim was way below a standard I would be proud of.

Two other car to look at is the current turbo petrol Forester and the petrol Outback, both fantastic cars and well worth the $$$$..... Subaru's diesel is a bit gutless.
FollowupID: 795758

Reply By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 13:29

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 13:29
Hugo, I have the Territory AWD diesel and I don't regret getting it for a minute. It's a brilliant car to drive and be in. Smaller than say a Prado but has 2.7 tonne towing capacity (AWD diesel only). Doesn't have all the trinkets and gadgets you can get in the Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe.

Yes, some have had their problems but all car makes and models have issues. You need to decide whether or not you need/want a 4x4 or an AWD SUV as the AWD Territory will not be as capable off road as a true 4x4 car.
AnswerID: 516386

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 18:23

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 18:23
The new forester is out - what about the XT? If everything else is right with the size and shape?
AnswerID: 516401

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 19:42

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 19:42
Everyone will always recommend their own personal choice so my advice would be to;
1. make a list of what you need, then what you would like.
2. Make a quick list of the cars you are considering. Most new car websites have a ling to specs that will give you an idea of what you will get. You may not want a new one, but it will give you an idea of what is on offer.
3. Cross off the ones whose specs do not meet your needs.
4. Google the names of the ones you like. eg Amrock vs Prado. You will get some good reviews (and some that are just plain biased) but it will give you something to think about.
5. Pack a thermos and some sandwiches and go and visit the car yards. You will automatically cross off some. A lot of mine failed the tall friend in the back seat test! Take the ones that will stand out for a test drive.

Now for the biased opinion from me.
For the 4WD I chose a Dmax. Izuzu engine is top of the range, good ride, not at all thirsty, 3000 kg towing and good value.
For the touring sedan with good towing capacity I chose a Toyota Aurion. Sticky feet, comfortable ride, not too thirsty (8.2 Hwy), plenty of ticker. An all round nice car to drive. (And they both blitz the tall friend in the back seat test.)
AnswerID: 516403

Reply By: KevinE - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 21:41

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 21:41
Hi Hugo,

Given all the info you've supplied above, I'd reckon the XR6 is probably what you're after.

A standard Falcon would do everything you want, but an XR6 will do it better & you will enjoy it more.

Plus, locally made cars in that price range are finished much, much better than the imports (we've owned Holden & Ford, plus most Jap brands - Mazda is the exception, they're finished very well too & no, I don't currently own a Mazda lol!)

Cheers,

Kevin.
AnswerID: 516415

Sponsored Links