Morey's Products

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 02:47
ThreadID: 10378 Views:15002 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
i guess some of you have heard of or even used Morey's products , from memory fuel treatment especially for diesels and an oil treatment and maybe a special grease . As the products are none too cheap does any advantage in using them outweigh the costs ?? It is easy sometimes to be " conned" into using a product that may be a waste of money . They do have glowing testimonials from people in Oz , i even recognised one person i knew in Melbourne , a mechanic who lives in the Albury area . Your thoughts !!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russell [Pajero] - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:16

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:16
I used moreys Upper Cylinder Lubricant in a Leaded Petrol rebuitl 202 motor running on LPG. The Mechanic who built the motor said it was a waste of time but wouldn't do any harm. And since the feed unit was already connected I used it when running on Gas.

I raised the issue with every mechanically minded soul I came across and the opinion was evenly divided.

Most opinions on this site seem to be against any additives of anykind based on the main principle if it was that good why don't the manufacturered use it by default!

No help I know.

Russell
AnswerID: 45943

Reply By: ross - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:00

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:00
I used Moreys oil thickener in a noisy gearbox to tame the noise and it did a fair job.When you use these additives ,more often than not you are only trying to compensate for worn metal in an engine or gearbox which is a dicey proposition at the best of times.
AnswerID: 45949

Follow Up By: goingplatinumcomau - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:38

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:38
I just had a mechanic pull the gearbox out of a dihatsu delta and replaced the cluster gear.
Any way when he put back together ........ i added a tube of nulon gearbox and diff treatment.........on the day in question have had a few beers i gave the grafite bottle a squrt......then said no pull the top of the bottle and tipped it in.

Then i done the logical thing .......... After the event asked here in the forum what will happen with bottle of grafite in the gearbox ? the mechanic by this time just shook his head and said your choice i carnt see it doing any harm anyway you can always change the oil later.

The forum got some good replys mostly against the idea as the syncrows need friction to work... which made alot os sence.

Anyway the gearbox was put in the truck (which i was given for nothing well part of another deal i done ) and i thought being a diesel no sence letting it die as it turned out the motor after new filters and diesel additive goes real well.

What i intended to do was use the truck for beach runs double island point .

The road test after the gear bow was put in No Problems at all it Hums like a singer sewing machine ............... No Problems with gear changes.

Which comes to the Question if grafite is so good and after doing a gearbox grafite search on google Why dont people add it ??????

Well i am thinking of changeing the oil in the box and what residue of grafite is left can do what it is doing. You ever got some of that grafite on your hands takes for ever to get of.

The other thing we done was add 2 cups of diesel to the motor before the oil was changer run it for a couple of days ...................and when changeing the oil i brought 5 gallons of diesel and flushed the motor out with plug removed ............... then new oil Rimula made by Shell a tip from the forums here.

After all that the truck runs great the body is abit rusty but will be great for beach run.

:)
FollowupID: 307917

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:40

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:40
Brian,
I've never been in favour of addtives, considering the time and effort that goes into the development of the lube oil, under "normal" circumstances this should be more than adequate for normal useage, if something fails or is noisy it's for a reason, something worn out, something damaged due to maybe misuse. I have a synthetic lubricant in my gearbox, transfer case and diffs, works for me. If you buy a vehicle with addtives in it's usually there for a reason and it's not because somebody had some cash they found in a jam jar and didn't know what to do with it. There was a thread a while ago about major engine manufacturers suggesting to use upper cylinder lubricants because of the new low sulphur diesel, as advised by a major fuel manufacturer, as far as I can find out the new low suplur diesel does not need any additives to "bring it up to spec", anything that needs to be added is done at the point of maufacture, this applies to oils as well.
Doesn't matter whay I say here there are going to be people who believe that putting addtives is the way to go, in some applications where abuse is expected like the 4WD challenge there are better oil you can buy that have heavier load ratings and temperature characteristics, but these are manufatured that way to take the guess work out of how much do I add? Is that enough, nah can't be it's still noisy, put some more in, that didn't work, throw some of that one in, nah that didn't do it either, OK then sawdust again........................ and so the tale comes to an end..................... Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 46003

Reply By: dogart - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:24

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:24
I have used Morey's upper cylinder lub for years in the old 84 jackaroo
which normally ran on leaded.
Since the introduction of LRP the Jack would run like s**t.
Was given the advice from numerous mechanics and others that
don't run LRP put unleaded in the Jack and add the Morey's UCL.
The "upper cylinder lubricating" is what you need if using ULP
in a old motor.
Anyway made the change over and noticed the diff straight away.
And since that day haven't looked back. Well worth it.
We did exactly the same in the 78 datto ute with the same results.

Additives for newer cars that run on ULP, not sure about good or bad.

cheers
wolf
AnswerID: 46012

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:40

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:40
Wolf /Dogart,
Fair comment, I feel this is the exception to the rule. I run the Rangie on Ultimate, high octane stuff, this was also leaded, at this point I haven't used upper cylinder lubricant, things seem to be alright though, something to bear in mind for the future, thanks. How many k's has the Jack done? Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 307949

Follow Up By: dogart - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:55

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:55
Martyn hi,

when I sold the ole girl had from memory 320000km's
prob did 100 of those with Morey's.
Worth a try maybe!

cheers
wolf
FollowupID: 307960

Reply By: ToyMotor - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:09

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:09
I'm not a great fan of additives, but the Morey's green grease is the best thing since sliced bread! It's the most resistant to water washout I've come across. I base this observation on the fact that it was the only grease I found that would stop the rusting on a cast iron fitting on my outboard. A cocky mate of mine also tells me that it lasts much longer than the others he's tried on headers and so forth. It seems to be rated for everything from wheel bearings to uni joints, I've been using it for years on them with no probs.

Cheers
AnswerID: 46027

Reply By: Jack66 - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:36

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:36
I,ve used morey,s grease for about 8 years (as I had a box of it given to me buy a previous employer) on all my wheel bearings and unijoints
and never had a problem this includes boat s as well
I am down to 2 tubes now does anyone know were can you buy it in WA
AnswerID: 46033

Follow Up By: dogart - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:41

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:41
green grease hey,
just got a boat, might try it out,
sounds good for bearing buddies!

cheers
wolf
FollowupID: 307969

Follow Up By: dogart - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:44

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:44
Jack66

I've always got the Morey's from AutoOne (No Affil')
never knew about green grease but may pay to ring'em.
I'm in Perth.

cheers
wolf
FollowupID: 307970

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 01:20

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 01:20
Thanks fellas for your opinions on Morey's products ,i reckon it would be a boring old world if we all had the same opinions !! To Jack 66 i think the firm that are Peugeot agents , Euro cars who are now called something different and used to be on the corner of Berwick Street and Canning Highway and now are just south of great Eastern Highway and just east of Albany highway ( have lost their address ) well i think they are agents for Morey's
FollowupID: 308162

Reply By: David O - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:28

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:28
The idea that if it was any good, it would already be in there is a bit of a fallacy. Even petrol has additives in it, and additives that the fuel companies may not have wanted to originally put in there but were convinced to add after it was proved there would be a benefit. ie some add some don't. I know because I work for a company that supplies some of these additives to refineries -not to retail.

Look some of these after market additives wll be snake oil and some won't, some will give a benefit and some won't. Often the benefit will be equal to the cost more often less. Occasionally the benefit will outweigh the cost. Try it, if it solves your problem for less cost than any other method, it is value for money.
AnswerID: 46048

Reply By: Brett - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:40

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:40
I used the oil stabiliser(I think...the stuff with the red writing on it in the 1 ltr bottle) in a 350 hp 14ltr cummins which had a set of intermittent Jacobs brakes. The fault dissapeared when I added the moreys. I also used 30w mono in the engine and the oil pressure would change when the oil was on its way out. This happened between 5000 to 7000 km of City driving. The oil pressure gauge would not show a change until about the 10000km mark after I added the Moreys. I also added it to my hydraulic shstem and the PTO quietened down a lot.

I had oil sampling done at each service and there was a decrease in all wear metals in the oil.

This particuar engine had a very low operational oil pressure, at idle I think it was about 16 psi. The addition of the moreys did not seem to alter the oil pressure however it seemed to hold pressure at full rpm for a longer period of time before thermal dropoff occured.

I don't know if it was good or not but I did not observe anything negative and I do know that the engine ran a littlle quieter.
AnswerID: 46540

Sponsored Links