WARNING 12 volt inverters

Submitted: Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 00:04
ThreadID: 103817 Views:2841 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Took my inverter on a recent trip. but it "died" while charging a rechargable camera battery and taking out a "hard to locate" fuse.
On reading the fine print, it warned against charging such items, "as damage may occur", so a lesson learnt.
Pays to read up sometimes.
Cheers
Ian

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Candace S. - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 07:12

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 07:12
I presume you're talking about the little device you plug into a 12-volt power outlet (aka cigarette lighter) on an automobile? I've been using one of those for many years to recharge camera, computer, cell phone, and satellite phone batteries and never had a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky?! It actually blew a fuse on the vehicle? Interesting, thanks for sharing this.
AnswerID: 516472

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 07:33

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 07:33
There are a host of risks associated with inverters and how they get used, but so many people just don't want to know.

Yes, so many people have just been lucky.

By far best if you can charge direct from 12 volts, and most battery powered devices can be charged direct from 12 volts these days without the extra complications and risks of an inverter.

One thing that is sort of inverter related and sort of not is the ability and suitability of factory installed ciggy lighter sockets.

Originall the cigarette lighter socket was designed to deliver the fair amount of current requited to light a ciggy but only for a very short time and it was never designed as a high quality 12 volt accessory connection.

more recently they have been added as accessory sockets, but the wiring is invariably light and they always share fuses with other functions.

It is a simple and wise choice to fit some directly wired and independently fused accessory sockets to any touring vehicle.

cheers
AnswerID: 516473

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:17

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:17
The warning you read was more than likely a blanket warning just in case....

No different than replacing a fuse in anything else, people use to do it a home all the time, BUT you have to make sure the circuit is dead, with an inverter just isolated to 12v feed.

People replace fuses in cars all the time and some even put a BIGGER one in so it won't blow again or as quickly (tongue in cheek).

Please don't read many more fine prints, or you will stop doing everything, everything in life has fine print and warnings, it comes down to common sense and if not sure leave it alone and seek professional help... LOL

When replacing circuit breakers always make sure you use the same rating, type and with the same function.

So did you replace the fuse?
AnswerID: 516476

Follow Up By: OBT46 - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 17:41

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 17:41
Yes, I replaced the fuse, but the inverter was "cooked" as I tried it directly wired to the battery & it took out the 30A fuse. Perhaps it's life "was up".
FollowupID: 795878

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:34

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:34
Quote "Took my inverter on a recent trip. but it "died" while charging a rechargable camera battery and taking out a "hard to locate" fuse."

More info is required. Is this a large unit you were talked into purchasing "in case you needed to power a large load?" You really should not purchase a Mack for shopping because you may want to carry a large load some day.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 516480

Follow Up By: OBT46 - Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 17:43

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 at 17:43
It was a 300W unit which worked fine previously but as I have said, perhaps it's time was up.
FollowupID: 795879

Sponsored Links