Ford warrenty? A contradiction in terms!

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 13:44
ThreadID: 10385 Views:2905 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
The story ... I have a Ford Excape and a new Prado. A few weeks ago I noticed that the paint was flaking off the front roof rack bar so I took it alonf to my Ford dealer, where it was purchased and serviced, for a warrenty replacement. Hesitantly, they replaced it, as they say that it was caused because I scratched it by using it!!? My fault, I thought that's what their used for, but apparently not? A couple of weeks later the rear rack bar starts flaking in the same spot? Once again, it's my fault, becaused I must have scratched it when I used it.
I got the sh!#@ts badly with this and went looking for the scratches I caused ..."you would need a magnifying glass to find them!!
Not happy with the dealer's attitude, I contacted Ford's Customer Relations" ( another contradition in terms ) to get satisfaction.
His responce was a gem... he suggested that I could visit as many dealers as I liked, to hopefully find one that would agree with my view, and only then would Ford full fill their warreny obligation by replacing the faulty rack bar.
I totally lost it at that point! I proceeded to explain to him "the meaning of life" and how Ford was about to lose a lot of money by me never purchasing another Ford and by never having my current Ford serviced by their dealers ever again. Being a very stubborn and pig-headed person, this is exactly what I will do.
How's the lodgic .... lose thousands because of a $120 warrenty claim? Smaller businesses would go broke with this attitude.

Having had my say .... I feel better now. Thanks for listening.
Regards,
Bazza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ianmc - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:21

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:21
Dont leave it there! They have won if U do. Go to local Consumer Advice Bureau for info on where to object.
Also its right up the alley of the ACCC.
Will Hagen on ABC Radio every second Thursday about 10.30pm I think often gets stuff on the way.
Sing the song & make em walk the walk.
AnswerID: 45981

Reply By: bigfella - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:38

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:38
How unusual for FORD!!!!!!!!!!!

Had the same trouble with FORD in 1979 when I bought a brand new XD Falcon. Vowed never to by one (Ford) again and I haven't. Seems things have not changed in 25 years.

Go to the media. They love stories like this and it probably won't achieve much but it makes you feel better.
AnswerID: 45986

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:51

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:51
sadly i think all manufacturers are now towing the I.T. style of company line, cheap to make , high margins, big profits , if it breaks you have to buy a whole new one !!! and no-one wants to take responsibility for any of it.

worst thing is that the dealers are just independant companies who have to pay up front for warranty parts and fight to get reimbursed by the makers, this is why they wont substitute parts to try and fix problems, or fit a new rack etc.etc.

Next new vehicle i buy will have a contract attached to it stating that any warranty issues will be dealt with immediately, and exchange vehicle provided for warranty work, as well as contracted pricing for servicing, and a copy of the service manual provided with the car. If they dont want the buisness i will shop elsewhere. Sadly i think we all will have to do this or it's going to get worse... Sorry to hear of your stress buddy.Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 45990

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:37

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:37
Sounds like a long time till you get a new vehicle Bradley or if you achieve that off them let us know & we will all shop thereRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 307947

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:11

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:11
Yeah i think it may just be a dream...............:-zzzzzzzzzzMoo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
FollowupID: 307954

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:59

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:59
" and how Ford was about to lose a lot of money by me never purchasing another Ford..."

You think they would care about 1 sale every 5-10 years?

all manufactuers are the same... dont be shocked.
AnswerID: 45993

Follow Up By: Bazza - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:13

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:13
G'Day Truckster,
Nothing shocks me. It's jusy my way of making a statement. It will impact the dealer though, I buy two new cars every 3 years, but from now on they won't be Fords.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 307940

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:48

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:48
But that same dealer will pick up business fron the disgruntled Nissan or
Holden buyer who had trouble like you. As trucky said they are all the same BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 307952

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 21:35

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 21:35
Bazza.. understand ya totally.

Service is a thing of the past, started to die when service stations became FUEL stops nothing more.. can you imagine asking some pleb in a servo to check your oil now?
FollowupID: 307999

Follow Up By: rolande- Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:21

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:21
And the funny thign is........ It's really a MAZDA!
FollowupID: 308011

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 23:02

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 23:02
Mazda is part of the Ford empire BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 308014

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:25

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:25
Park it out the front of the "staeler" with a large message in the window advertising the Holden/Toyota dealer down the road and a comment about the poor customer service/warranty service. Take a photo with the story of the problem and email it to Ford Head Office in Broadmeadows with a C.C. to Ford USA.

Also, try here.
AnswerID: 46000

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:02

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:02
Saw a Tojo owner who went that route the other day. Had decals made up that said in massive lettering across the back of his 80 "$15000 replacement engine due to Toyota incompetence" with some more details in smaller writing underneath (which I forget). At $15000 they obviousl blew it big time.

If everyone who got screwed by a dealer was willing to use their car as a mobile billboard, well, at least the signqriters would make a buck.
FollowupID: 307953

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:03

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:03
A bloke in Wanneroo WA did just that a few months ago, right outside the dodgy dealers on the main road, and guess what? The local council moved him on with dire threats as to what they would prosecute him with if he didn't obey the rangers instructions.
I wonder whose pocket they're p...ing in?
FollowupID: 307962

Reply By: goingplatinumcomau - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:08

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:08
I recall a Ford Explorer out in the Desert somewhere that Caught of Fire
May be like the early jeeps Wireing Problem ?

Well at least the Ford left plenty of room for the Nissan 3 liter 4 clyinder diesel
there will be a few of those in time to come i would think.
AnswerID: 46006

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:59

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:59
Platinum - That would be an interesting conversion. Know of any one who has done one? Trev
FollowupID: 307989

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 23:05

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 23:05
Theres a GU 3.0 Turbo Diesel ready to blow holes in pistons for $8k on outerlimits..

nobody has touched it! You would be nuts!
FollowupID: 308015

Follow Up By: goingplatinumcomau - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 23:44

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 23:44
Sorry you guys have read me wrong

I was saying No doubt in the Futcher there will be many a mysterious burnt out nissan in the desert Insurance ......... Be best to check the policy other wise instead of cash they will replace the Nissan 3 liter 4 clyinder with another identical car LOL.

May be better to leave the car ideling in Redfern with the door open
and hope for the best.

When i have spare time i love to drop into a Nissam dealer and annoy a salesman with questions ............. like whats all this on the Net (salesman worst nightmare) about the motors blowing pistons ? well the comeback is always that is something i would have to check with the Service Dept .................... Good lest go there now i Want to talk to service manager .........Or no you carnt do that we dont have insurance for you to Enter Workshop.

The best thing for all to do is Take a Pic of the salesman and dealer principle Regardless of what you buying and just say i need to know who to Shoot if you tell me any lies and wont back up your service .

The problem today is every one is getting away with so much Bull#### these days they think it is the Norm.

Simple question is what do you think of the GST ............ Anyone who agrees with it is a Dog.

FollowupID: 308021

Reply By: Member - Trevor - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 06:48

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 06:48
I think the problem is they are making everything so complicated just to keep themselves happy and the greenies with a warm fuzzy feeling.
There is nothing I can do to my motor except change the air filter, change the fluids and polish it. If it stops I have no idea of which computer is stuffed up.
I have a 20 year old diesel tractor and if it EVER STOPS I get off, blame myself for the dirty fuel, drain everything, top up, do a bleed and keep going. I think next time I buy I will have a battle to find a straight forward diesel which I know I can fix by myself anywhere. Stop this so called progress. It's not safe! Trev
AnswerID: 46105

Sponsored Links