Daily Driving Dag

Submitted: Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 14:43
ThreadID: 103933 Views:1753 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Any ideas on what constitutes a reasonable daily drive?
Blacktop and/or good dirt? How about stuff like the Plenty/Donohue "highways"?
Trying to get a reasonable handle on a 3 week trip to Alice, and decisions about getting there with time to see stuff.
Navara D/Cab with a Goldstream Storm Vacationer van (ie a wind-up off-road unit)

Cheers
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 15:52

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 15:52
Gday,

That's not really something anyone else can tell you mate........all depends on road conditions your vehicle,what speed you do and how many hours you comfortable driving for?
We used to Drive Alice - Darwin or Adelaide in one stint but I wouldn't anymore.

Cheers

AnswerID: 516692

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 16:59

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 16:59
Ta,
Aware of the personal nature of driving, but was after ideas of what others were "comfortable with".
I used to do Coleambally -> Newcastle after work (3.30 - 2.30) in a single drive - but that was to visit the fiance! AND when I was a lot younger!
Now, at 65ish, I prefer to drive at/about the speed limit unless there's conditions, or things to see, that determine otherwise.
FollowupID: 796102

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 16:20

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 16:20
John, as Hairy said, it's what suits you and what you want to see along the way.
Years ago, if I wanted to get somewhere, 8-900k's made a long day but made the destination quicker. Now a days, at around 500k's the cook is getting grumpy. (no she isn't coming at me) That's on the bitumen.
On the dirt, it's all about the conditions. Plenty of trips, achieving 80k's can be quite an effort. Some dirt roads are better than bitumen ones.

If your travelling with kids, they will want time to run around have fun.

Just make sure that you take the time to enjoy it.

Cya
Des.
AnswerID: 516698

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 17:06

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 17:06
Des,
Understand and agree fully! Used to do big days (or rather nights) driving in younger times. The 500k was about where I was thinking, although with 2 drivers and no tin-lids to be concerned about, I think we could likely knock over a bit more.
I'm thinking 700k would be pushing it, but!
Certainly planning on taking time to see stuff. Current planning is looking at getting to Alice quickly, then retracing track to see stuff we noted on the way there. So, a 5 days to get there, a few days around about, and then leisurely drive home.
Time is constrained at both ends, have to leave after work on Thursday (12 Sept), and be back for my mum's 90th birthday bash October Long weekend. Cannot leave earlier, and I'd be dead if I missed the party!
FollowupID: 796104

Reply By: SDG - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 16:33

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 16:33
When I first start a trip, I will usually do the first 6-800 km in the first day, as it is usually ground I have covered before. After that, it depends on how far to the next interesting spot. Usually within about three hours. Having kids who are use to travelling can help. I know of some who can not go 30km without needing to stop for them.
AnswerID: 516701

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 17:08

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 17:08
Like you, planning a big first drive after work, then another early start and bid day second one out, then pushing along as we can.

Thank goodness for grown kids who all live O/S! Don't have to worry about "are we there yet?" type questions! ;^}
FollowupID: 796105

Follow Up By: SDG - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 18:38

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 18:38
Leaving for a long drive after work, is usually a recipe for disaster. Most people are tired after work, many don't feel it, but as soon as they start driving, suddenly they do. Get a few hours sleep. Or if the passenger has rested all day, let them drive to start off with.
FollowupID: 796112

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 19:19

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 19:19
After work = 3.30pm! But I do know what you are sayin'!
I work in a highly non-stressful job - and with a 7am start, finish at 3.
I can be home, hitched and ready to fly as soon as +1 gets home.

In addition, I do not work the day before, so can catch up sleep/rest that day.

Previous job I drove up to 4 hours to GET to the location, did a couple hours work and drove back home - 4 or 5 days in a row!

What I'm saying, I guess, is going to drive as far as we feel comfortable with, hit a motel, and start off early next day.

Tell ya what, If we die, you'll be last to know! ;^}
FollowupID: 796123

Sponsored Links