Dual cab front axle overloading

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 08:29
ThreadID: 103973 Views:2162 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
There was a thread somewhere relating to the overloading of dual cab front axles fitted with bullbars and winches.

I stumbled across this from the department of Environment and Heritage relating to this subject. Although it is mainly focused on Hi-luxes it also mentions the Rangers which would include the BT-50s plus Amaroks.

Here is the pdf on the utes. It must be for training purposes as it contains some humour.

LINK to front axle loadings
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:38

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:38
G'day RA,

Well after reading most of the procedural requirements that an employee is required to perform before going anywhere or doing anything I take back any negative comments I may have been guilty of uttering about government employees being a lazy bunch and taking forever to get a job done.
HOLY PROCEEDURAL PAPERWORK BATMAN.
Can you just imagine a couple of fair sized blokes of to do a job in their dual cab ute.
First weigh each individual in case he/she weighs in excess of 100 kg and deduct that amount from the payload.
Then determine the weight of any equipment, tools, whatever that may be needed.
Now get your tape measure and determine how far from the axle centers these loads are to be positioned.

ZZZZZ......huh???? oh yeah go and get a LARGE cup of coffee, (being careful of course that the consumption of excess caffeine doesn't compromise any future drug testing) because by now my eyes are starting to glaze over.....lol

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 516841

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:08

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:08
Pop,
I can see you have followed procedures down to the last minute detail. Congratulations as you will now be rewarded for doing nothing at all. LOL.

This is one of the main reasons I retired. I just couldn't put up with the crap and backstabbing any more. The last straw was when a pup engineer got up me for not having an SWI in front of me while operating a large piece of machinery. I correctly and politely explained that I had co written the SWI, so I knew a wee bit about it. The next move in my politically correct world was to tell him and and the bosses who were with him nodding their heads to something off.
FollowupID: 796347

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:29

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:29
Me too mate, retired I mean, my young bloke works as a superintendant for Rio Tinto and spends half his life attending OH&S meetings. Other than the pay is good I don't know how he puts up with it. I guess that's part of the job. How the hell they keep the rocks falling into the boats I don't know.
I had an interesting conversation many years ago with some safety officer at Argyle Diamonds. I was doing an inspection on one of their 90 tonne rough terrain cranes and had to take the brain bucket off to get my fat head up inside the frame beside the hydraulic swivel. The helmet was on the ground near my feet so this guy wanted to know why I wasn't wearing it. I pointed out that there was a 3" thick lump of steel deck plate directly above my head and that any falling object that could get through that wasn't going to be stopped by any safety helmet. After a short discussion he agreed to let it slide as long as I was sure to put it back on my head when I got out.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 796354

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 13:20

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 13:20
lol life has changed so much as a young 18 year old many years ago i got a job as a survey assistant at the wongong dam just out of Armidale in perth.

Any way first week in I was told all staff had to attend a safety movie and information session we would be working with explosives and such I though this is going to be serious stuff .
with in 5 minutes of arriving I was handed a can of beer and as soon as you are finished another can in put into your hand . saying no was just not done in those days

so after attending a safety movie I drove home 10 ks drunk basically this was long before RBTs I am sure that sort of thing would be frowned upon these days every thing is so serous .

Parents were not too pleased lol go to bed was what they said.lol
FollowupID: 796358

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:00

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:00
The overloading of dual cab utes has been a very real issue for a very long time.....but it is no lesser issue than the overloading of station waggon 4WDs.

I don't know how may dual cab utes I see every day dragging there asses down the road because they have nothing in the front and the whole payload minus the driver sitting behind the rear axle.

One thing we need to undestand is that most passenger carrying is designed around a 75Kg person.

Walk around most building sites and you will be hard pressed to find too many under 75Kg......I don't know about other posters, but I and my doctor would be very happy If I was 75KG..but I'm not.

OH then you look at the published towing capacities on some of these utes, and realise that to achieve that towing capacity the carried load has to be reduced.
For example the mall weight has to be deducted from the payload carried

On another forum, one of the learned members posted a spread sheet of most of the modern utes listing towing capacity, GVM, permissable ball weight, gross combination masm and some other stats.

It was very interesting.

One of the utes with a generous towing allowance..it worked out to tow capacity, all you would have in the ute was a reasoably slim driver, and equally slim mate, their lunch and a small too box.

One poster on another forum was scratching his head why he was over loaded in his nice station waggon 4wd.
The original spec's where posted, showing about 600KG total payload, the probable weight of accessories, gear and those aboard and he was hundreds of KG over weight.

Look at some of these waggons with 600ish KG payloads even unadorned by accessories.....If you put 5 average blokes, an overnight bag each and slab of beer ( no ice) and you have just about pulled up the weight limit.

People do take carrying capacity very much for granted.

cheers
AnswerID: 516843

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:17

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:17
Yeah right on. Yesterday we were pulled up at a set of lights when a dual cab (Triton I think) pulled up beside us. It turned out it had WA government plates and looked like a DEC vehicle.
There were three reasonable size blokes inside and on the back was about a 300 litre water tank together with various pumps, hoses, tool boxes and what looked like different size fire extinguishers. This ute also had at least 3 radio aerials, revolving and work lights and who knows what other stuff. It also had a long range fuel tank because I could see the extra filler cap and a 'roo bar. I didn't get to see the front but I know most of their vehicles are fitted with winches and auxiliary batteries. Would have been interesting to see what that lot weighed.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 796350

Sponsored Links