Nissan Titan 5.0L V8 Cummins diesel

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 04:15
ThreadID: 103991 Views:12041 Replies:11 FollowUps:42
This Thread has been Archived
It's not every day you read exciting 4x4 news. The Nissan Titan is getting its first diesel engine, which is great news for Nissan all around the world. This engine could go in the Patrol. But do you think this truck should replace the Patrol ute for Australia? Remember this isn't the current Titan, this is an all new one around the corner.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2013/1308_cummins_diesel_next_nissan_titan/

300 HP / 550 lb-ft is around 225 Kw/ 750 Nm

People are suggesting 25 mpg highway, which is 9.4 L /100 Km.

I think some pressure needs to be put on Nissan Australia.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PajeroTD - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 04:24

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 04:24
Here's information directly from Nissan.
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/video-report-a-new-engine-choice-coming-with-the-next-generation-nissan-titan

from Cummins: http://social.cummins.com/cummins-build-5-0l-v8-turbo-diesel-nissan-titan-pickup-truck/
AnswerID: 516886

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:17

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:17
Gidday, thanks for the link

Gotta love the way they pronounce Nissan .... Nee-sarn.

FollowupID: 796414

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 00:58

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 00:58
How about the Kiwis saying Su-baaaa-ru. It's not a sheep joke, it's how they pronounce it. :-)
FollowupID: 796456

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 07:55

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 07:55
I think 25mpg is more like 11.8 L/100km, which is about what my diesel Pajero gets around town. Still pretty good for a 5L Cummins diesel
AnswerID: 516888

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 08:03

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 08:03
Actually its 9.41l/100km as the 25mpg was in US gallons.
FollowupID: 796406

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 08:48

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 08:48
Gee, I hope the US litres are the same as our litres or the engine capacity will be different too.
I wonder how the Yanks ever got little gallons when their into big big big?
FollowupID: 796408

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:20

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:20
hi keir
dept of primary ind & energy fuel conversion graph shows 25mpg as 11.3l/100km in aust measure
ross m
a smaller yanky gallon sounds like a lot more of on-board fuel and more impressive bigger and more is better !!???
like the aussie farmers who believed if they had smaller sheep you could run more sheep to the acre and make more profit ???? lol
FollowupID: 796420

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:01

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:01
like the aussie farmers who believed if they had smaller sheep you could run more sheep to the acre and make more profit ???? lol

Actually Mazcan, there has been a lot of research in both Australia and New Zealand to suggest just that.
FollowupID: 796422

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 13:17

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 13:17
30 mpg imp - tell em they're dreaming.
FollowupID: 796425

Reply By: Road Warrior - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 08:54

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 08:54
The Nissan Titan is a US-only vehicle. Does it share a platform with any of Nissan's other vehicles, like the Patrol? That's the only way I can see that engine turning up here in the new Patrol is if the next generation Titan as discussed in that article shares its underpinnings with the new Patrol.
AnswerID: 516893

Follow Up By: PajeroTD - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:19

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:19
Not sure yet, they haven't released any other info about the new Titan. Fred Diaz (VP) made the comment at the end of the video "I think we're going to make sure everyone in the world knows about the new Nissan Titan." Foreshadowing a global release? Let's hope.
FollowupID: 796415

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 23:40

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 23:40
if Fred Diaz is a yank then "the world" consists of mexico to canada plus maybe some of the countries they are bombing this year...
FollowupID: 796523

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 06:16

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 06:16
LOL fisho, so true.

Why did God invent war?
To teach Americans geography.
FollowupID: 796528

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 09:32

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 09:32
Yeh dream on fellas.

There are all sorts of big things with big heavy motors on the american market that we never see in the main line vehicle market here.

The yanks realy seem to like big, heavy & thursty..and they have this thing about "american iron".

In this country big engines just don't sell.......toyota realy seem to have shot themselves in the foot with their V8 landcruser and nissan seem happy to push their pissy little 4 cylinder turbo diesel in the patrol.

AND like so many of these big heavy american motors they do not produce much power for their size and weight.

Of course then you have the problem of stuffing this bulky V8 into an engine bay with everthing that comes with it and still being able to work on the mongrel....HMMM anybody changed a starter motor in a V8 toyota lately.

And you also have the problem of stuffing motors into vehices that they where not specifically designed for...anybody chanaged the oil filters in a diesel powerd jackaroo.

Serioulsy if Nissan did a proper job on their own 6 cylinder 4 ish liter turbo diesel in the patroll, ya realy could not hope for much more.....

cheers
AnswerID: 516896

Follow Up By: Honky - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:51

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:51
Its called "excitement"
Just have a look at the Muscle car wars here and in America.
Some of the most memerable vehicles ever made.
Hands up who wouldn't like a HSV supercharged Commodore at around 430KW.
And please no comments about Environmental Unfriendly vehicles specially coming from a site that supports travelling around australia using probably on average of 15 litres per 100 and up and doing 1,000 ks every year.
Honky
FollowupID: 796424

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 13:52

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 13:52
Shot themselves in the foot???

Toyota sells every Landcruiser that comes into the country.

If you want a wagon to work on yourself, buy a Mini Moke.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 796427

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 17:16

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 17:16
I don't want a HSV comadore ...what a completely pointless thing...if I wanted some sort of go faster machine I'd buy something with some class and not a snotty old bomadore.

Toyota...Shot them selves in the foot...definitly.

Ask the boys up the mines who work on em.....they don't want em and the only reason the have those they do have is because there is no other option if you want a Landcruser ute.

Toyota sell every vehicle they bring in because they don't bring in any more than they can sell...they don't even bring in a full range of vehicles.

What I want is a vehicle that basic things can be fixed at places other than a workshop with a hoist.

ya know simple things like changing a starter motor or alternator that are known to fail in the field on 4wds because of exposure to sand, dust or mud.

Changing a starter motr or alternator should be a trivial and easy operation, not a major operation that requires the engine to be dismantled or removed.

How about the simple task of changing a fan belt.

The inability to be able to do these very simple things on the side of the road could mean the difference between driving out or a multi-thousand dollar recovery bill.

cheers
FollowupID: 796435

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 18:24

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 18:24
"Ask the boys up the mines who work on em....."

Bantam, I wouldn't have to go far to ask that question, my son is a mobile plant workshop supervisor in the Pilbara.

Toyotas rule the mine sites and that's all there is to it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 796439

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 19:52

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 19:52
Bantam,
most of te fitters that work on the mine vehicles are ex toyota and pretty loyal. They do know the short comings from their side of things, but they are happy to work on them. Their biggest bitch is how long the companies keep using them after they get to their use by date.

I was talking to someone in BMA that I won't and can't name. He said many of the miners are trying to kill the new Rangers as they like Toyotas. Guess Ranger free parts don't fit Toyotas.

Reason for mining companies looking elsewhere is.
Ancap rating.
Suitability of the V8 in underground use.
COST. This is a major reason.

FollowupID: 796443

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 20:32

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 20:32
Honky
If you gave me a HSV with all that extra crap I would sell it immediately.
Definitely NO! I wouldn't want one, perhaps the reason why I have never entered a competition to win one either.

Most Crummydoors disappear from the roads before other makes start blowing indicator globes. We are trained from birth to think that brand is Australian when most of the profit goes to Yanks anyway and always has.
Only barely enough money is kept here to sustain the workforce and parts supply industries.

We helped pay for America to discover where the rest of the world is so they could bomb it.
GM means Grab Money.

FollowupID: 796447

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 20:39

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 20:39
Ross M,

I assume you are under 30 years old. You have no sense of history whatsoever.

Your last sentence is so stupid, if it wasn't for the US you would be saying it in Japanese.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 796448

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 00:43

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 00:43
Ahhh, history...now most people seem to spend their time slagging off Jeeps and Land Rovers while professing their undying love for Japanese cars. Is that my grand father turning over in his grave? They ended up beating us with skill and economics even after having a few nukes dropped on them. Well played, but we still speak Engrish. :-)
FollowupID: 796455

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 08:54

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 08:54
It's funny the only thing some can comment about with the Toyota Land Cruiser V8 is it is hard to change the starter motor..... I can't remember the last time I change a starter on one of my vehicles....... hell it seems you have to change them every second day...... maybe they should've put the fuel filler where the starter motor is and the starter motor where the fuel filler is, you would only need to get to the fuel filler once a week.

It's interesting how people not in the automotive industry seem to think no other vehicles have problems or difficulties when doing repairs on them.

All vehicles have parts that are hard to get to and the Land Cruiser V8 would be the least of my concerns.

Like most things unless you know the tricks of the trade or have to correct tools you can spend hours doing something you don't have to.

Nothing is difficult working on any vehicle and the Land Cruiser V8 is no different.... it just takes longer, simple as that...... If I had to walk up a mountain carrying 50kg ten times a day I would say that is difficult.

If you want something difficult try pulling a transmission or engine out of a piece of earthmoving plant out in the field.

A Jackaroo is a 10 year old vehicle.... there has been plenty other vehicles made since then that are pigs to work on.

People and back yarder who have only worked on few cars in their life make me laugh...... LOL ROLF

As for the Yanks slotting in big engines, there is a good reason for that..... have a look in the USA what they use their Rams, Chevs and Ford F trucks for, most are used in business applications where the tow or carry heavy loads....... it's only us here in Australia who thinks they only build them for recreational use.

Here is Australia we use Small Isuzus N series, Mitsubishi Canters, Iveco Dailys and Hino Dutros.... In the USA they use the Rams, Chevs and Ford F trucks.

Oh and as for those big heavy American motors not producing much power...... I would call 400-560 hp with 800- 1000 foot pound of torques from an off the showroom floor vehicle BIG, so I don't know where you got the idea they don't produce much power.

And as for Nissan and all these other dinosaur engines they use to produce....... they are never coming back and it's no use dreaming of what could've been only if..... it didn't..... so no use talking about them!
FollowupID: 796459

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 21:52

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 21:52
I have changed a starter motor and an alternator on my current 4wd..mostly because of ages but they are two of the most common things to fail due to sand, mud and water exposure.

Hmmm..its a 4wd, appart from those that never go off the bitumen, most 4wds will be exposed to sand, mud or water at some time.

Only last week a V8 landcruser owner was posting how much it cost him to replace a starter motor and what had to be done to do it.
IT is an issue.

People who think that "backyarders" know nothing don't make me laugh some of us, have pretty broard experience of vehicles.

As for the yanks slotting big engines in stuff, there is a reason for that.....they are meat heads.
Almost everything they do is crude, big heavy and inefficient
And for its size and weight they do not carry as much.
Ford F series is a good testiment to that.

And they are rediculoulsy V8 obsessed.

AND as I said most of their V8s do not produce much power for their cubic capacity, physical size or weight.

this is where the japs and the europeans have it all over the the yanks.
They make smaller, lighter and far more efficient engines.

Even if the engines do not produce as much power...they don't have to because they don't have to push around as much weight.

The weight of the engine is the single biggest obsticle to every factor of vehicle performance.
This is why, when we had touring car racing catagories that related to the vehicles being similar to production vehicles, it was smaller lighter vehicles that won outright honours in most cases.

This is why the japanese dominate all but the heaviest catagories of trucks in this country......and it was a revolution when the japanese introduced, light, efficient, fast, economical, small to medium sized trucks that where actually quite refined and nice to drive.

It was these trucks that killed the F series in this country

In this country we are less inclined to do things with a V8 powered bloated over sized utility, we will mostly do the job with a small japanese derived truck usually a 4 or six cylinder diesel.

We may not see the old mechanical injected 6 cylinder diesel engines of the past, but one hopes we might see some modern common rail six cylinder diesels in our 4wds like we are beginning to see in our commercials..perhaos in a higher state of tune.
AND hopefully that can solve the problems of common rail diesel.

Actually we could solve many of the emission problems of diesel and remove the need for the common rail diesel systems we now have by going over to gas.

cheers

cheers
FollowupID: 796517

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 23:01

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 23:01
Sure glad you got that off your chest.

Now lay down and take a Bex.
FollowupID: 796522

Follow Up By: Honky - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 00:27

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 00:27
I am not sure why people are so against Commodores specially the V8 ( not including the 5 litre)
In my work I travel around 50,000 ks per year. for most of the 25 years with the company I have had 4wds but due to a hic-up I had to go to non 4wd for three years ( note that i am back into a 4wd which is a Triton with all the goodies). As 80% is company and the rest is private and not to upset my package I kept the cost the same. This got me a VE SSV sportswagon ( black ). You can by a lot of Vehicle when you get out of 4wd's.
It was dangerous in how much fun you can have in a late model V8 6 speed commodore. On an closed track I ran out of balls before the car ran out of puff at 245 ks an hour and this think stuck to the road.
The service cost of the V8 over 100,000 ks is about the same as a service cost of the triton for the 90,000 service alone. The average fuel usage on country drives per 100 ks was less than the diesel at around 8 litres per 100ks. Around town in was a different matter.
Please if you have not driven a new V8 commodore. Please consider and go for a test drive.

Honky
FollowupID: 796525

Follow Up By: Honky - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 00:41

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 00:41
Just in case you are wondering, no I am not a car salesman, I am an Insurance salesman which is one above.

Honky
FollowupID: 796527

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 17:04

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 17:04
Bantam,
obviously you have never seen the problems with pure gas engines.

Go talk to the guys at EDL, I am sure they will fill you in if you have a couple of days.

FollowupID: 796555

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 21:29

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 21:29
There are problems with everything.

Over the years I've had a bit to do with gas.
I drove cabs for a while...most of them run on gas.
A mate used to run a competitive vehicle on gas company sponsorship..I used to service for him
Another mate, from my days in motorsport while he was studying engineering, had a part time job as a research assistant on one of the pilot Diesel gas projects back in the 80's
The father of some brothers I also knew from motorsport, worked as a sales rep for a gas company selling the idea of gas an gas conversion to major fleet owners....believe me I've heard all the spiel.
Another bloke I know well does diesel gas conversions now.

Most of the smart owners will tell you their cabs run cleaner and better on gas than they do on petrol...if they spent enough money on a good conversion.

One of the competitive vehicles that bloke ran gained horsepower from the gas conversion

That pilot project my mate worked on has resulted in Brisbane city council running most of its diesel busses and ferries on natural gas.

That same project my mate worked on....by accident..he was a witness to the fact...resulted in running diesel and gas at the same time as we now know as diesel/gas.
If converted properly, the engines run cleaner, better and make much more power.....but it is easy to get wrong, just like other modifications

AND
Most of the other problems with running gas in engines is that mostly the engines where not primarily designed for gas.

If the labour government had not deliberately and artificaily increased the gas price.....gas would be a real goer, from a cost, performance AND environmently point of view.

cheers
FollowupID: 796564

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 04:40

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 04:40
Note Bantam,
pure gas engines that run 100% on gas. They are engines that have been designed for running on gas only.

They have been around for a good few years now. We are not talking about diesel gas at all. Pure Gas engines don't put out anywhere near the power of a diesel engine. The same size diesel will put out 1500kw while the gas engine will put out 950kw.

The gas price has not been artificially increased in price, it will now be competing on a level playing field with other fuels.
FollowupID: 796572

Follow Up By: PajeroTD - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 06:02

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 06:02
@Bantam, your posts are full of generalizations, with an obvious anti-American bias. The new Ford 6.7L V8 is more powerful and more efficient than Ram's I-6 Cummins. Yes, the biggest diesel in a Ram, is a 6 cylinder, not a V8. V8s can be more efficient. I have driven the Ford 6.7 (and Ram 6.7 I-6) and it is easy to get around 20-21 mpg (US). The Ram gets only about 16-18 mpg highway. The Chevy 6.6 V8 also gets better mileage than Ram's I-6, which gets about 19-20. People have "hypermiled" the Fords well beyond that 22 mpg figure over long distances, Ford actually ran a competition on that and the winner achieved 34mpg. Look for the article so you don't just assume they were going 30 mph on cruise control down a hill. One reason why the 5.0L V8 should easily do 25. It's smaller and lighter than a Ford F250, with 1.7L smaller engine. Cummins did very well with 6 cylinders, but they are pushed to get better mpgs, and they obviously believe they can do better with 8 than 6. Also, you have to remember that in America, trailers and RVs are bigger and heavier, speed limits are higher, mountains are bigger, freeways go up and down the big mountains. 3L diesels are not going to cut it for a 15k-20k pound (7-10 tonne) trailer at 110-120km/h over mountain passes. Its not safe, it's not economical, and it's not good for a smaller truck. Also, the Ford 6.7 is every bit as good as a European diesel. It has a Sintercast CGI block, the latest common rail injection, and reverse flow heads. Ford designed it (and builds it) along with (and similar to) the 4.4L V8 it uses in the Range Rover, which the Europeans seem to like. Perhaps you should accuse the Europeans of being obsessed with V8s too? Yes it's made at Ford's factory in Chihuahua, Mexico. This engine in the Range Rover Vogue uses only 1mpg less than the 3L V6 diesel in the Range Rover Sport. Also, a 3L V6 VM Motori diesel is coming out in the Ram 1500 with the ZF 8 speed, so these smaller diesels will be an option for people who two smaller and lighter trailers.
Also if you are familiar with towing, longer wheelbases help with stability, and bigger engines help with torque and durability. Trailer size is as relevant as weight, because it can be harder to control a big light weight trailer than a big heavy one. Think of waving a big sheet of cardboard in the wind. Something heavier is easier to control.
FollowupID: 796573

Reply By: yarda - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:24

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:24
The only reason we have the new patrol is because the middle east creates enough demand to build that configuration.

So unless the middle east want this ute, we sure as hell ain't ever going to see it, apart from 200% tax and markup grey imports.

Toyota with all their ute sales here can't even justify a right hook tundra ute, which would be great.
AnswerID: 516898

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 13:26

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 13:26
Funny you should say that about the Tundra, I was told last month Toyota were looking at importing them to supply the mines as a primary replacement for the 70 series Landcruiser. I tried to pump this guy for more info because the Tundra isn't available in RHD or diesel and he didn't know specifics, he was relating a conversation to me had with a Toyota fleet manager.

But I think unless there is a next-gen Tundra around the corner that is available with a diesel (and what diesel) and is RHD capable, it's a no-go.
FollowupID: 796426

Follow Up By: scandal - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 16:58

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 16:58
Some one in Oz converts the Tundra to RHD, Ive seen a couple of them getting around Brisbane, one is white with the personalised number plates "PBR"
FollowupID: 796434

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 18:08

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 18:08
Performax in Gympie do them

Tundra conversions
FollowupID: 796438

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 20:10

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 20:10
there is a Brisbane company selling all sorts of new...yes new right hand american vehicles.

Yes they are bringing in Tundras...are they converted locally///ask them.

cheers
FollowupID: 796444

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 20:43

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 20:43
What company is that The Bantam, I was under the impression that Performax pretty much had it wrapped up in Qld with about 60-70 vehicles undergoing conversion at any one time.
FollowupID: 796449

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 22:14

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 22:14
cant remember the name but they are advertising on radio.

I'll take more notice next time I hear the add.

cheers
FollowupID: 796454

Follow Up By: yarda - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 09:40

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 09:40
If I had that much Cash to throw into import duties etc. and think that these imports were any sort of value for money, I'd be sitting down at the Mercedes truck yard talking unimogs.

It's all moot anyhow for me, I'm never going to have that much moola for a vehicle.
FollowupID: 796461

Follow Up By: scandal - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 18:37

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 18:37
@yarda, you could've had an ex army unimog for $35k a few months a go, army off loaded quite a few via grays, or a 6 X 6 mack for $25k
FollowupID: 796668

Follow Up By: yarda - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 00:04

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 00:04
Hi Scandal,
Unfortunately I am very familiar with those vehicles, let's just say that you would want to be very careful with which one you choose.

But yes as the overlander project progresses, there will be huge amounts of olive drab vehicles hitting the auctions.
Cheers Yarda.
FollowupID: 796690

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 13:19

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 13:19
your spot on yarda
Australia is a pain in the arse to most world wide manufacturers , as it is
a very small percentage of their sales , so they think they have to make a token effort to sell vehicles here , an you get want they say you,ll get not what the customer wants , its an $ figure to them an nothing more
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 516903

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 15:24

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 15:24
Is this why all the conversion (USA utes etc) are doing so well out here?
AnswerID: 516906

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 15:54

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 15:54
Agree,
funny how people bag the big USA rigs and then tell us the local smaller units are not up to towing the weight.

I see on mention big, thirsty, heavy usa engines and then goes on to talk about a jackeroo and a V8 Tojo. Beats me. Ha my 6.5l old school chev diesel gave better fuel consumption than the tojo 6 and wasn't much heavier. American engines have come a long way over the years and Cummins completes well with the high tech Euro engines.

Cummins make some great fuel efficient engines that will tow the world or any other place around all day. Australia may not see them but they would be a great tug the same as the F trucks, dodge rams and chevys.

Once weight is added, these engines come into their own and that includes fuel usage.
FollowupID: 796430

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 14:34

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 14:34
Rockape. you know what expert means..... LOL.

Yes I agree with you.
FollowupID: 796656

Reply By: Top End Az - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 08:47

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 08:47
I'm still unsure as to why Nissan don't stick the V6 Navara Turbo diesel into the Patrol. They'd sell a heap of them if it was viable.
AnswerID: 516943

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 21:26

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 21:26
Comes from a different assembly plant so I'd suggest the logistics are a pain. Not to mention the ADR approval and certification costs.
FollowupID: 796509

Reply By: The Landy - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 05:36

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 05:36
I don’t know much about the specific vehicle, but a comment on getting them to Australia.

I notice one comment suggesting they would sell a “heap of them” if it was available.

But what is a heap, and would that be enough?

Before a car lands here, the manufacturer has to ensure its dealer network will be geared up to sell it, service it, it will need to ensure compliance with all Australia design and emission control regulations.

And then there is the cost of putting it on a ship and getting it off in Botany Bay (or wherever!).

Then it has to work out just what price to put on it, whilst casting a eye over what else is available, and whether they will sell enough (a heap of them) to justify bringing them to Australia, not for one or two years, but on an ongoing basis.

A “heap of them” – isn’t usually a term the accounting boffins are familiar with, they’ll be looking at the cold hard numbers.

And I suspect car manufacturers do that everyday of the week, with all of their product range – where would this sell, will we sell enough, and is the expense worth the monetary outcome?

Good luck to all those who want one, maybe the accounting god’s will look down on Australia favourably, but if it is like many other products and services – just don’t hold your breath waiting.

Hey, we all know we’ve got the best country in the world to live and travel in, but when it comes down to a market that manufacturers’ can sell their wares in we are simply a very small market with a poor economy of scale…

Enjoy the weekend!

AnswerID: 517017

Reply By: fisho64 - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 09:23

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 09:23
Funny-i can see dozens of refrrences to Toyo V8's and the odd one to Rangers Jackeroos and Commodores. Which one is the yardstick against which everything else is measured?
AnswerID: 517022

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 22:06

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 22:06
If you think there is a yard stick...you are kidding ourself.

cheers
FollowupID: 796567

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 01:32

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 01:32
"are kidding OURSELF"
Lol, you got that right didnt ya
FollowupID: 796571

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 22:05

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 22:05
I think you may have been one of the first in this thread to mention a 200 cobba!
FollowupID: 796687

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 10:32

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 10:32
What's the purpose for this Tundra thing? It wont fit down a bush track! Tow a big fifth wheeler around on the black top (and see nothing) I'm guessing?
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517026

Sponsored Links