IsatphonePro probs

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 18:37
ThreadID: 103995 Views:1933 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
As posted before, mine was unreliable before the last firmware update and close to useless after it.

It was some months out of warranty and the retailer told me Inmarsat was unlikely to accept any claim for that reason.

Of course this is not consistent with Aust. consumer protection law.

I contacted the TIO and it turns out that their scheme is voluntary. The retailer represents both the sat comm and phone provider but is not a signatory. No redress there.

The retailer accepted the phone back for checks, sent it back to the phone wholesaler for checks, and it remains unreliable.

I told him I would pursue redress through the other avenues available but would prefer to reach a compromise as the phone was an urgent necessity. He declined to discuss it.

We only need this unit to get calls about ageing parents so we can get back home quickly.

UMSAT ... don't leave home with them.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 18:52

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 18:52
When you say unreliable, what do you mean? If you detailed them in the previous thread that you refer to what is it's number or heading so I can look there. I would like to ask my ISP about them.

We don't have any problems with ours at all.

Phil
AnswerID: 516913

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 19:05

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 19:05
Seems we got a lemon.

Would you say that getting any kind of connection once in ten attempts at best, given 4-5 bars signal strength and GPS fix, was acceptable?
FollowupID: 796441

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 19:29

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 19:29
Seems like you did. A real shame that it's out of warranty.

I think I would have been jumping a lot earlier and higher. But that's fine for me to say from here. Best of luck.

Phil
FollowupID: 796442

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 19:33

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 19:33
Hi Sigmund

It seems that there must be something wrong for sure. Did the firmware upgrade work correctly? It has been mentioned a few times that if the latest firmware was not installed, the phones will not work, so I wonder if this could be the issue.

I have one and it works just fine and in fact we have just returned from 3 weeks in the Great Victoria Desert and it worked faultlessly every time and never dropped out at all, and locked on very quick, as it always does.

It will be very interesting to hear the outcome.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 516916

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 22:07

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 22:07
Hi Sigmund
Your quote “The retailer accepted the phone back for checks, sent it back to the phone wholesaler for checks, and it remains unreliable”
I have had one of these for a number of years and it works faultlessly now.
Initially I had problems due to my fault - not operating it correctly.
What did their checks indicated?
In their opinion was it functioning correctly?
AnswerID: 516928

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 07:31

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 07:31
The retailer reinstalled the latest firmware and pronounced it worked but not well; then sent it to the IsatPhonePro wholesaler who did whatever and then returned it without any improvement acc to the retailer.

Just being out of warranty doesn't mean all consumer rights are extinguished; the thing is not of effective or merchantable quality. But I have to take action through a Tribunal (fee of $135) whose ruling has no legal force. If it went my way I would still have to pursue the retailer, perhaps via a Sheriff, and he is in another state.

Alternatively I could commence proceedings in a Magistrate's court in my state.
AnswerID: 516936

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 09:35

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 09:35
I keep reading people asking whats wrong with it. Unreliable could mean that it just goes flat all the time.

Also we haven't heard what the manufacturer siad.

So I will ask again "what do you mean by unreliable"?

Maybe it is as someone else said that it was the way they used it.

Phil
AnswerID: 516949

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 09:23

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 09:23
I say again: an av. rate of connection of 1 in 10 over 30+ calls I regard as unreliable.

For one spell in the Flinders Ranges with 4-5 bars signal strength and GPS fix and (of course) good line of sight to the north the phone would starting ringing and the signal strength drop to zero and the phone would then fail to relocate the sat. Two or three mornings running at Innamincka with similar strength and fix the phone would disconnect before ringing or report temporary network error or network failure despite repeated attempts to dial the test number. Last year in the same location under the previous firmware version it was possible to wait for a while and get a phone or text message connection.

In all cases the battery was of course well charged.

Again, as I said, the phone wholesaler looked at it and returned it to the retailer saying it was OK. The retailer disagreed and has sent it back for further checking.

So we've been without the unit for over 2 months now and an essential emergency facility worth close to a grand has been unavailable for over 3 months. We cut short our outback trip as we had to be reachable given an ailing mother.

The phone is clearly defective given the experiences reported on this forum. Meantime we get the run-around.
FollowupID: 796536

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 09:37

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 09:37
That's better. I missed the 1 in 10 before.

It took a while to get used to having the antenna steady while using the phone and I felt the same as you. But apparently you have that covered. Needless to say that I don't even use a mobile phone either.

Good to see your retailer looking after you.

All fingers crossed.

Phil
AnswerID: 517024

Follow Up By: tiffanymatthew - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 17:17

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 17:17
With the Isatphone do you have to point it a certain way to get signal? or do you just point it to the sky and you lock on?
FollowupID: 796662

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 17:18

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 17:18
Point it at the satellite

Phil
FollowupID: 796663

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 06:33

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 06:33
Perhaps doing something other than posting new vague threads on EO every week might be productive.

This is the 3rd ...4th post on exactly the same subject. With posters asking for the same details of the problem and you offering no new information or news.

AnswerID: 517142

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 08:07

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 08:07
On the contrary: this post includes info about consumer redress, the process being followed by the retailer and more detail on error messages and failures.

How many other users know eg that the TIO scheme is voluntary and that their satphone reseller may not be a member?
FollowupID: 796693

Sponsored Links