HJ60 existing radiator modification query for 12HT Engine

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 16:25
ThreadID: 104026 Views:4616 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have Toyota landcruiser HJ60 1986 and have replaced its 2H engine with 12HT engine with its original 3 core radiator of 2H engine. I was informed radiator of 12HT engine is larger than 2H and cant seem to find replacement used radiator for 12HT Engine a new ones aren’t available here. The 3 core current radiator is fine .

I went to radiator shop and they told me they can modify my existing radiator with 4 core and probably modify its size I guess by replacement of its middle net/core? Will such modification work on existing radiator? Any suggestion on what type of modification material and internal core design is recommended for hot climate as sometimes it gets a high 50C and I drive with my AC on while going uphill..

Would appreciate any guidance on this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 22:20

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 22:20
google up ausie desert cooler,

cheers
AnswerID: 517043

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:08

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:08
Would that be Aussie Desert Cooler Bantam?

http://www.aussiedesertcooler.com.au
FollowupID: 796597

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 23:38

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 23:38
Naveed.

Yes this work can be done and is not unheard of. If your radiator repairer has the capacity to do this work, then go ahead and get them to do it. You are correct in the method they use. The radiator tanks are attached to the core with solder. The unit is heated with oxyacetylene torch, and the old core removed. It must be well cleaned out and care taken to apply good quality solder when reassembling the unit. If the correct solder is not used, then my experience is that the solder on the top tank cracks and weeps coolant, requiring repair each two years. I 'think' the better solder has more tin content. Others may have better information on this.

We also drive up hills in 50°C heat with the AC on. My standard radiator copes okay with this challenge. Why don't you try out your existing three core and see how it goes first before spending money that you might not need to. We have a term called 'chasing your tail', meaning going around in circles without achieving very much.

Tim
AnswerID: 517045

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 19:04

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 19:04
Have you rodd'ed your existing 3 core radiator, ie cleaned out the vertical tubes.

Peter
FollowupID: 796625

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 08:28

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 08:28
With my old ute I changed the 2H motor for a 12HT. Best thing I ever did.

Of course the turbo motor ran hotter than the old 2H so I also ended up doing exactly what you are talking about. The radiator shop put a high core centre in the radiator using the same size top and bottom tanks. Worked a treat. Ran a lot cooler and never had a problem for the 5 years I owned the car. I naturally only ran demineralised water with toyota coolant.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517102

Sponsored Links