ex army gensets

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:08
ThreadID: 10404 Views:2154 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi,

I was in my local disposal store the other day and they a had quite a few ex army gensets for sale. There were 12v ones for $250 and larger 240V ones for $450. All in a self contained cradle, some even come with toolkits!

has anyone had any experience with these? I know you can buy the cheap chinese ones (which are lighter and more compact) ones for similar dollars and get 240v output as well but these seemed very well made and didnt look like they'd seen much if any use. I think the motors were called 'Wisconsin industrial ' or something like that. They even had a muffler system whereby you attach a hose to the exhaust outlet and place the other end in a bucket of water.

What do you guys reckon -good value?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:39

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:39
Mark can I ask a realy dumb question what is it or are they.
Many Thanks
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 46076

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 23:55

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 23:55
Hiya Mark,

I'm not familiar with the particular gennie you're refering to, but after 21 years in the Army one thing I CAN tell you is that they will have been meticulously maintained and serviced. They might even have the service book with them?

Anyway, as long as the thing is what you want, I think you'll find that it will be a good purchase from the point of view of it's previous history and servicing etc.Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
AnswerID: 46095

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 07:29

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 07:29
G' day MARK

Beleive it or not but until just recently I actually work at the workshop where they were repaired and maintained. Yes they are well looked after, however that particular model with the Wisconsin motor is getting a bit long in the tooth. We were starting to experience problems obtaining parts for them. The current issue genset is fitted with a Yamarha engine. I mean if you REALLY want one they would probably be OK but as I said parts may be a problem. The other problem is that they are particularly a noisy unit,(about lawnmowerstyle at half throttle) your fellow 4wdrivers may not appreciate the racket, the Army is not very noise consceince as these units are not used anywhere at the pointy end of a fight , the poor infantryman has no such luxuries! ! !

hope this is of some help

Regards, Jeff
AnswerID: 46108

Follow Up By: macca - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:49

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:49
after 20 years as a grunt , I cant agree more with you Jeff, and spot on about the noise.worse than a lawn mower.especially when your trying to catch some kip
FollowupID: 308056

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 19:23

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 19:23
As a retired tunnel rat I can assure you that these are good tackle. Im looking for a retired "paterson trailer" to take to my next trip to Adelaide...
AnswerID: 46191

Reply By: Brett - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 21:14

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 21:14
They are US made engines. Check the output voltage of the genny before you buy. With a multimeter. There is a good chance they are 110volt.

Also check they are AC and not 110v DC.
AnswerID: 46409

Sponsored Links