Cape York 2014

We are in the process of looking into a trip into the cape next year, I understand there is a wealth on info on the site on this trip, however was wondering if members have any comments on valuable vehicle accessories etc and items not to bother with. Will be travelling in a Turbo Hilux with GIC camper and tinny on top of the camper as part of a convoy of Hilux's. We are heading up the OTL to Seisa fishing the tip then heading back down into Princess Charlotte Bay and then on to the Daintree.

At this stage my main concerns are getting the camper equipped to handle the dust and also creek crossings, any comments on GIC campers up their would be great too.

As far as the lux is concerned was thinking of adding some lockers a snorkel and a UHF, The Lux already has ARB Bar, OME suspension, ARB canopy, dual battery setup, 265/70R17 BFG AT's.

thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:14

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:14
Hi turbolux

We did the cape last year with hilux and echo4x4 kavango, did the frenchmans track and the southern OT track, and parts of the northern, all while towing the camper. We consider the UHF essential for any outback travel, so was the snorkel (for the frenchmans track), most crossings on the OTL were quite shallow at the time, with the exception of Nolans which we had a look at but didn't attempt. lockers could have saved a winch recovery on the frenchmans, but we didn't have them at the time, and found them not essential if you are travelling with others. I'm sure others experience and opinions will differ, and conditions can vary widely, but that's our experience.
Good luck, it's a fabulous part of the world, we will definitely go back for a longer period.

Cheers

Lisa
AnswerID: 517105

Follow Up By: TurboLux - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 13:51

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 13:51
Thanks Lisa

Interesting point regarding the lockers was thinking of getting them to help out with the towing the camper, did you have any issues with the Hilux?
FollowupID: 796655

Follow Up By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 20:55

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 20:55
Hi again

We were able to drive through everything except for needing to use the winch at the steep climbs out of the two river crossings on the frenchmans track, and the steep climb out of the Palm Creek crossing heading south at the bottom of the old tele track. Lockers would have helped at the Pascoe crossing on the frenchmans, but not with the other two, we lacked enough power to make it up the steep slippery climb out of the Wenlock river while towing, and all the vehicles in our group needed a winch or snatch to get up the south bank of Palm Creek (we were the only one towing)

Cheers

Lisa
FollowupID: 796682

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 21:11

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 21:11
Hi Guys

We did Cape York last year - towing as well. Most of the creek crossings have bypass tracks, so for example at Palm Creek - we didn't bother, and went around. It was quite amusing watching the people try to get down and then up at Palm Creek though. The crossings also change year on year - so if you are towing, you will need to be very careful and watch for a while first...especially at the more tricky spots. If I had tried Palm Creek with the trailer - I would now be divorced... :) I'd personally ditch the lockers idea in favour of a good quality winch though as it's highly unlikely you would ever need both!

Chris
FollowupID: 796684

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 13:08

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 13:08
Forget the lockers. But a yes to the UHF and snorkle. You could also do with a compressor. Handy to drop pressures for the crossings and the OTL and don't underestimate lower pressure for corrugations.

I would assume that you have your own recovery gear in case you have problems with Palm, Gunshot and maybe even that soft bit in Nolans that has claimed more than one car.

We also took a blind to keep the water from gushing through the radiator.

Generally apart from the OTL, Frenchmans and Starkie plus other side tracks, its something that a Kingswood or Falcon would do in a breeze. I would even drive the Bloomfield in my Kingswood. The Cape while it needs to be respected is not a big 4WD deal apart from the tracks.

Enjoy

Phil
AnswerID: 517154

Follow Up By: Chambo - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:59

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:59
Frenchman's in a Kingswood hey!!!!!!!! We did the Cape last year and Frenchman's, which was awesome, was definitely a challenge. I was in a GU 4.2TD towing an Ultimate and let me tell you I have done a good amount of 4WD'ing but that certainly got my attention especially towing. I don't have lockers and the only time I needed a tow was in Nolan's Brook which I was just short or making. You need good tyres, very good tough suspension and good clearance.
FollowupID: 796955

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:27

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:27
You misread my post mate. I said "apart from the OTL, Frenchmans and Starkie plus other side tracks,". That phrase excluded the mentioned tracks. It would be a challenge though.

We had Nolans at over a meter. It was lapping over the bonnet. Top crossing. Steered clear of that soft hole and just bubbled through. Had to laugh though. Some bloke with a group that had no end of trouble getting through stood in the middle and was heard to mutter "Bloody diesels" as we just ambled past. He and his mates had small petrol utes that just blasted in and swamped the spark. I shut my mouth and just smiled a thanks for the guidance. We didn't really need the guidance but he would have appreciated the thanks. All three of our 4.2TDs went through without a hitch.

Gotta go back and drive Frenchmans and the CREB one day. The CREB was closed and we did not have time for Frenchmans.

Phil

FollowupID: 796958

Follow Up By: Chambo - Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 22:09

Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 22:09
Your correct I did misread your post. As you said it would be a challlenge. We had the same at Nolans, young buck were watching us wallk it and work out our line only to watch them after us, fulll steam through the middle only to drown the lot of them. We laughed for quite a while after that.
FollowupID: 797160

Sponsored Links