Aldi air compressor

Submitted: Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 13:31
ThreadID: 104051 Views:6286 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone an opinion on the air compressor on sale at Aldi.I have seen on another forum a comment that they had the same compressor as the Dr Air for half the price but are the components of the same quality?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 14:15

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 14:15
Mate it's a cheap compressor so I don't know what to quality would be like.... some say they are fantastic but my way of looking at it is most times when you need a compressor you need it to work so paying a bit more for a known brand is well worth it.

In China you can get anything made to a price and just because it looks the same on the outside the inside can be very different.
AnswerID: 517113

Follow Up By: BluePrint Industries Pty Ltd - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 22:20

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 22:20
I would have to agree with oldcoolone's comment.

Just because they look similar / the same on the outside doesn't mean they are the same on the inside.

A quick check would be how much it weighs.

If it's a 40mm piston they are normally 72L/m or 92L/m with the 92 L/m normally just spinning faster. The twin heads are mostly all 40mm cyls and generally working hard. The newer Single 60mm ones (last 5 years or so) will generally outperform the twin 40's both in inflation time and run time.

We have seen a lot of different branded twin 40's that said there was a thermal cut-out installed but when pulled apart it wasn't there.

Likewise with the newer 60mm ones, most have "heatsink" that has horizontal fins, the problem is that so far all the ones of these that I have seen with horizontal fins are actually a plastic heatsink. Our BP160 has an aluminium heatsink, and we purposely had a different looking heatsink made to the factory standard.

Most Compressor comparo's that I have seen, normally only check inflation time. I don't recall seeing one that tests the various compressors on the market over an extended period of time, eg to equate to the use of compressor over it's expected life-time.

Likewise I don't recall seeing one that has pulled the units apart to check if the crank is plastic or metal, does it have ball bearings or bushes on the crank, or the quality of the actual unit, actual size of motor, and magnets etc, overall weight etc.

So whilst a compressor may have a quick inflation time when new, what's it like after a couple of years use. What about spares and support outside of warranty etc...

Now you could say that I am biased because we sell our own units, but we have had a extremely good run with ours since we introduced them a few years ago. At the end of the day customers will buy what they feel comfortable with, some shop by price, some shop by brand, whatever the reason people purchase a particular unit as long as it meets their needs and while it doesn't let them down they will generally be happy with it.

Sometimes really cheap units are really good value, sometimes they are not, likewise for more expensive units.

FollowupID: 797840

Reply By: kev.h - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 16:43

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 16:43
There's nothing wrong with then I've had the 90 lt and now the 150 lt twin head , they have copped a flogging and still going strong the oldest one would have to be 5/6 years old and the twin head one is 4 yrs the only thing wrong with the small one was the time to pump the tyres
Cheers Kevin
AnswerID: 517118

Reply By: patsproule - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 16:44

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 16:44
Had mine since the last time they sold it and have used it in anger quite a few times. It's certainly quick and fairly quiet. Looks just like the "Dr Air" model that won a comparo a while ago.

Pat
AnswerID: 517119

Follow Up By: Member - OzBadDude - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 17:03

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 17:03
How do you use an air compressor in anger? :)
FollowupID: 796660

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 18:54

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 18:54
You don't want to know!
FollowupID: 796671

Follow Up By: patsproule - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 17:39

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 17:39
Fair point. Let's just say that it means airing up your own 4 tyres, then starting on the remainder of your mate's 4by tyres since his compressor is about 1/2 the speed of your own :)
FollowupID: 796734

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:03

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:03
I have no idea what your talking about - you havnt linked to anything

personally I have a projecta typhoon I bought for $200 over 3 years ago from coventrys

http://www.12voltdirect.com.au/compressors/projecta-typhoon-air-compressor

these things really rip if i stop for a chat between tyres it will pump them up to 60psi if am not quick enough

big weakness is the fuse blade so just cut it out and but a maxi blade in - problem sorted

I dont know of too many big name compressors that can keep up with them
AnswerID: 517169

Reply By: Member - Steve & Cecily W (QLD - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 14:17

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 14:17
I bought one last time they were flogging them cheaply; it must have lasted at least 14 minutes. A bit sad when it gave up the ghost north of White Cliffs!
I took it back for a credit and went and bought a proper one, cost a lot more but it does at least work!
Perhaps there's a reason they're cheap?
Haven't stopped smiling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517213

Sponsored Links