Best diesel fuel filter system

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 00:08
ThreadID: 104063 Views:13040 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I have a vehicle with a common rail motor. Is there a special purpose diesel fuel filter system that can detect bad fuel & in particular water in the fuel. I read about a system last year & I think it had a glass bowl at the bottom that could be removed and the water dispensed with. Does anyone have one of these detection filters or in line system apart from the filter that is already on the vehicle. Thanks Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 06:19

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 06:19
Hi NTVRX,
You are thinking of the Water Watch I believe, which detects water but does not filter. I don't use this system, but do use the Donaldson fuel filter designed for common rail diesels, in my DMax.
Regards
Scooby
AnswerID: 517140

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 06:33

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 06:33
The two most popular systems are the FM100 system with water detection and extra filter or the Waterwatch system that is detection only
AnswerID: 517141

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 08:41

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 08:41
NTVRX
You have many options and you must select the features you want to have present in the system

Water Watch doesn't filter or stop water, yes, it is sensitive in the warning ability and it does catch it if in big drops and also sound/light warns of it's presence, but the water in the fuel isn't prevented/restrained from going into the vitals of the system.

Other filter systems have filtering and dewatering of emulsified water in fuel. Some have an indicator for the presence of water and with others you check to see if water is collecting in the bowl. They actively collect water if emulsified ie absorbed into the fuel, and it collects and drops into the bowl.
These filters may never see water as droplets but still collect it as microscopic water and attempt to pull it out of the fuel. It is this water which over time does the damage to a CRD fuel system.

Of course any "visible" water mustn't be allowed to enter the system and that generally is caught in the bowl,

With most, if not all, the filter should be before the OE filter so it retains the restriction sensing and alert system built into modern systems.

Some bunnies have fitted the additional filter between the OE and engine and negated the OE restriction warning and if restriction occurs then the system doesn't know about it until damage or poor running is perhaps noticed. Even some Diesel workshops have fitted systems this way. What were they thinking? or rather not thinking.
Chose carefully.

Ross M
AnswerID: 517144

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 08:53

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 08:53
I second everything Ross has said. Spot on.

I have the Water Watch system and it is fitted under my tray near the fuel tanks. Leaves plenty of line before the OEM filter.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 796696

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:28

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:28
Thanks everyone for your answers and advice.Ross M can you PM me with the details of what filter you use etc please....thank Rob
FollowupID: 796703

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 13:33

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 13:33
NTVRX
Not being a paid up member, I don't think we are able to PM each other.
If on another forum too that may be possible.
Maybe if you wish to post your email I can send something to you .

I use a Donaldson P902976 filter kit, 11 micron pre filter, after the tank and before the OE filter. It doesn't warn me of water though but the original restriction sensor will still work if the new one is placed there. It then works to detect restriction in either filter. Mine is fitted to a Dmax.

Mine isn't the finest filter around and there are others.

Cost effective and easy to check and drain if needed, you must do the water checking. Soon a water sensor will be available I am led to believe.
You didn't mention which vehicle it is going onto so there may be some extra info required to best suit your purpose.

Hope this helps the decision process.

Cheers
Ross M

FollowupID: 796718

Follow Up By: Warren B - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:46

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:46
Hi ross, have been thinking along these lines also and I also have a Dmax . interested in your system, could you send me some details etc please.
bassee@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 796754

Reply By: bluefella - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 16:32

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 16:32
I have a water watch system, early detection of water is my main priority, most modern diesel OEM filters are sufficient for particle filtration.
AnswerID: 517163

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 16:37

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 16:37
Thanks very much for your advice everyone......Does anyone use a 30 micron Berimah Diesel Fliter...pre OE Filter?
FollowupID: 796731

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 17:44

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 17:44
NTVRX
30 micron filters were fairly standard issue for conventional diesel injection systems.
For a CRD engine it is more a class of blowfly filter rather than something which will do a reasonable job of filtering when used as a pre filter to the OE filter unit.
The 30 micron is going to pass nearly all sizes under 30 micron and until it maybe begins to block up, then it will begin to work.
If your main contaminant size is approx eg 15micron then the 30 isn't filtering it and all will collect on the OE filter which is usually around 5 micron. This will suddenly overload the OE filter quickly if there is a problem.
Any smaller than 15micron ie. 10 or 10 9 8 etc will serve to remove much of the contaminants and provide a graduated collection of crap and not suddenly hit the OE with a full "COP THIS" load of rubbish.

30 isn't really a filter for CRD. It will work but only as mentioned above.

I had a pre 30 on an older Landcruiser and it worked for than but I wouldn't consider that size for a CRD.

Nothing is perfect. Depending on your engine size the flow rate reserve capacity of the filter is critical so it should be able to pass around 3 or 4 times the normal flow rate so no restriction to flow is produced, and only when it begins to block will it restrict and the OE will then warn you. When it does one or both of the filters will be pretty blocked. Dmax around 35litres/ hour/ New pre filter should be 120LPH or more.
The smaller the micron size you select, the larger the filters internal area has to be so it can filter and provide the flow rate at about 6 to 7 psi.

Cheers
Ross M
FollowupID: 796735

Follow Up By: Odog - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:02

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:02
Hi all, I have the 150 prado, which has the water watch, but I checked in the service manual, and am lead to believe, that when serviced by Toyota, they never actually change the fuel filter, under the bonnet,only drain it. Think they only change it when the light comes on the dash, either from blocking up, or water. I pay the extra to get it changed, just a bit more piece of mind. Cheers. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796751

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 20:00

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 20:00
Odog. Your 150 Prado has a primary filter up under the rear of the vehicle. This is the one that should be replaced regularly. It is above the tailshaft, just forward of the front fuel tank. Regards,Bob.
FollowupID: 796756

Follow Up By: Odog - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 20:09

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 20:09
Cheers bob, that one they do every second service, it is in the service scedual. I like to do the one under the bonnet every second service at least, am I paranoid? I don't know, to many horror stories going around. Cheers. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796757

Reply By: Member - Markthemilko - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 23:38

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 23:38
Hi Rob,
I've a Toyota VDJ79 series 2007 V8 to which I've fitted a Stanadyne 2 micron filter to which I later added a primer kit, and a glass sight bowl which has a tap/valve to release contents. The filter has a 'flag' indicator when replacement is needed. I haven't done many ks with it yet. No room under the bonnet so I fitted it under the ute tray close to the fuel tanks.
Happy 4WDriving
Mark

VKS 737 mobile 0401

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517195

Follow Up By: bluefella - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:44

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:44
Hi Mark
The general consensus among the LCOOL mob is 2micron is restrictive on fuel flow and could damage the pump over a period of time. Especially as the filter becomes more restricted as it does it's job.
FollowupID: 796867

Sponsored Links