Jackaroo Vibrating bullbar

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 00:01
ThreadID: 10411 Views:4542 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy again folk -
The ARB bullbar (oops, I mean front end vehicle protection device to be politically correct!) is attached to the chassis, not the vehicle body. As a result, as the body moves on the rubber mounts the bull bar is moving in relation to the body. This is visible, particularly over bumps and uneven roads.

Question is, How do my driving lights (only cheap Hellas at the moment) or even expensive lights stand a chance if I contemplate a trek with corrugations like Cape Yorke or similar? I haven't heard of another vehicle which is constructed like this, but thought from anyone would be appreciated.

I haven't modified my suspension yet and run three roof racks, and at this stage height is still reasonable for getting into multilevel car parks when I need to, so I don't really want to mount lights on the front roof rack - apart from increasing glare from the windscreen and bonnet they will interfere with the vehicle's height and it is also illegal to have lights mounted higher than the vehicle's original headlights!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: donk - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 00:21

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 00:21
D ack

Most 4WD's that have a seperate chassis are constructed in this way

The bull bar will always be mounted to the chassis & the body will normally be rubber mounted to the chassis (some landrovers are the main exeption)

Jackaroo bodys seem to move around a bit more than most on the rubber body mounts what you have is nomal (as long as you body mounts are still ok)

Little lights of a good quality are generally ok

Big Lights sometime have a support stay from the top of the light back to the top bar on the bull bar (not to the body on a seperate chassis 4wd)

Regards Don
AnswerID: 46096

Reply By: Member - Wayne - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 06:39

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 06:39
Don is spot on with the moving body. That is why there is a big gap between the VPD (bullbar)and the front guards.Unless you are going to do a lot of night driving,take the lights off before you hit the rough stuff.I have seen the light brakets brake on rough roads.

Wayne
AnswerID: 46104

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:56

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:56
D-Jack.
I have a jack with an alloy bar. Same problem. It took some time till I found an arial that would not distroy itself on rough roads.
I have been told (by reliable source, I think) that most alloy bars suffer this problem to some degree on rough roads.
Looks like the combination of alloy bar and this type of body contruction is a bad combination.

RegardsThis 4WD stuff is addictive,
time consuming & expensive.
AnswerID: 46115

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:04

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:04
Sounds like the same problem a friend had with his alloy bar on a Jackaroo - it tried to self destruct in the NT and Kimberly's roads, developed cracks and the lights broke!

I,m not a strong believer in bars anyway, unless there is no where else to mount lights or you are serious enough to need a winch. Most 'outback' destinations are dangerous to drive to at night, so a bar for protection and/or lights is not really necessary. On my recent longer trips to the Pilbara (Rudall), CSR, Lake Gairdner SA (eclipse) etc etc, I have removed the driving lights and tow bar - saves a lot of weight! (the tow bar 'tonge' and ball on my car weighs about 13kg !!)Subaru Forester
"size isn't everything"
AnswerID: 46128

Reply By: Mixo - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:13

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:13
Yep.....my ARB bull does the same - outside edges rotate and knock the body at times, both sides. I have padded the gap twixt the bar shelf and body - used some
conveyor belt rubber, then some vinyl - whatever - anything that can be replaced each trip. My Lightforce spots seem happy in the middle....mind you....I haven't given the lot a long hammering on some of the corru roads mentioned in this forum.... might not either.The car, the boat, the camper, the radios - is that all there is to life ?
AnswerID: 46132

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 17:45

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 17:45
I think Lightforce are the way to go . I have got the 240's and they have done 2 Simpson crossing, 1 Kimberly and 1 Cape york in the last 18 months. When I first saw them I did't think they would last the first speed bump let alone a good trip

Wayne
FollowupID: 308088

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 13:51

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 13:51
Interesting one. The bar might flex some but most of the movement you see is the body moving not the bar. A good set of lights will last no problem on the bar. It looks like there is a massive amount of bar movement but it is you in the vehicle not the bar moving.
AnswerID: 46145

Reply By: Billy - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 17:06

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 17:06
Yes, I had one of my old Cibie Oscars (Metal) break the mount on an alloy bar on the Jack I had just out of Inna. Went for a set of Lightforces made out of some high tech plastics and lexan (really light) and the problem was solved. I'm sure other high quality lightweight lights would work just as well. LF's are now on the Patrol.All aboard!
AnswerID: 46168

Reply By: jackablue - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:28

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:28
Has the ARB alloy bar got alloy mounting brackets? I know my bar has. I was looking at my mates 80 series alloy bar & noted it had metal brackets. It seems to stop a fair bit of movement. Maybe some metal bracket may reduce vibration amplified from the alloy ones.

Cheers

Jackablue
AnswerID: 47043

Sponsored Links