quick release roof top tent

Submitted: Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 20:26
ThreadID: 104118 Views:5185 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Bought a tracklander roof top tent rack and a featherlite rooftop tent. The current way it is set up is pretty annoying when it comes to taking it off and on, along with the awning - held on bytwo steel brackets bolted together over and under tthe rack.
Just wondering if anybody has any ideas of a quick release setup as it is taking me the best part of a morning with a lot of cursing to get this tent off and on

It is necessary to take it off due to fuel consumption

Cheers any ideas are greatly appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 09:40

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 09:40
I used to have this same fight regularly, but one day worked how much the increase in fuel consumption actually cost me and decided it wasn't worth the aggravation!

If you need to get it off to get into you carport or garage, different story, of course.

Not quite the answer you were looking for, but worth considering.

Cheers
AnswerID: 517395

Reply By: mikehzz - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 11:12

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 11:12
Sorry, I don't really have an answer, but maybe this thread could stand as a warning to others that normal roof tents are more or less a permanent attachment. I have a light roof double cot tent that I can lift on and off myself as it only weighs 17kg. I attach it with metal hose clamps using a cordless electric drill and socket. Something along those lines wouldn't help? Mine is on and off in less than 10 minutes solo.
AnswerID: 517399

Reply By: Tim - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 16:09

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 16:09
I made a bracket which was suspended from the car port roof. Just back the car in perfectly aligned and undo the bolts holding it onto the racks and bolt up the threaded bars dropped from the roof. I only used the threaded bar because I had a heap of it, you could use a simple pulley system as well. I got it down to about 15 minutes to load to load or unload it.
Tim
AnswerID: 517413

Sponsored Links