Wild flowers.

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 12:22
ThreadID: 104125 Views:3736 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Found these on our latest trip north looking for orchids. All the colour varients in the one spot. Yellow ,pink red and white.

cheers Graeme.

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 12:39

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 12:39
beautiful !

I have a friend heading up the Grt Nthn Highway today for a month.....coming inland from the wheat belt onto Dallwallinu and thence Wubin and up....any chance you have the location of those wreath flowers in that general vicinity?......they would love to see them...so would we in fact but wont be this year
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517404

Follow Up By: steamfire01 - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 21:38

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 21:38
Bungarra
I took a run from Morowa last week, headed up the Yallgoo Road. About 30 Km or so out on the right hand side were a number of wreath flowers, not as good as those pictures, but not bad.
The very best wreath was further on, about another 10 Km or so on the dirt section.
There was just one large one, one of the best I have seen on the left hand side of the road, before a right hand bend just next to a yellow 'corner" sign, you can see it from your vehicle.
I put a bit of black hundred mile an hour tape around the sign with a bit of pink tape under it.
Sorry the Km figures are a bit vague, I was not there to look at the flowers, I was travelling to Yalgoo and then to Mount Magnet and Sandstone.
I haven't downloaded my camera yet, will put a couple of pics up in the next day or so.
Stay safe out there
Regards
TJ
FollowupID: 797063

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 14:26

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 14:26
Graeme
Come down the great central road 4 weeks ago and the wife took these photos. Dont ask me what type of flower they are as wouldn't know.[Image cannot be loaded]

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517407

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 10:14

Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 10:14
Nice Photos Murray

I have had a very quick peruse through my reference book but nothing stands out in identifying positively your unnamed photos. More time needed when I can find it.

Any members out there can put a name to Murrays photos?
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 797085

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 11:34

Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 11:34
Bungarra
We were amazed at how many different types there was, At one spot we pulled up at there was a sign saying that there was about twenty different specie's of plant with in a twenty meter radius of where we were standing. We found about twelve and 3/4 of them were in bloom. There must be some amazing sights when spring has fully arrived over your way in WA.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 797098

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 17:51

Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 17:51
Murray, Graeme & others,

Magic photos, Murray!

Some of them are familiar to me, but must stress that I had to look up them names. In good flower years, we had some of them down the Diamantina, and have seen others on Cowarie Station, on Birdsville Track.

Using Rhondda Alexander's "Plants of the Channel Country" this is what I think:

!. Might be, Tangled Mulla-mulla (Ptilotus latifolius)

3. Wild Tomato, tomato bush (Solanum quadriloculatum) - Poisonous to humans!!! And maybe sheep?

4. Koonamore Daisys, Hardheads (Erodiophyllum elderi)

6. Another maybe, Long tails (Ptilotus polystachyus)

The last photo looks like a "succulent", but haven't found him yet.

Anyone need a good plant book, for arid areas, Rhondda's book is the goods. We have nine left, my wife informs me. MM if you want one.

The Birdsville track is a magic place for wild flowers, if you get the right season. Will see if I can dig up some photos, and add here, or make another thread.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 797136

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 11:58

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 11:58
away from home for a few days without my book but I will be keen to check and verify with your identification when I get home

cheers

VKS 1341

FollowupID: 797195

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 15:19

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 15:19
Hi Murray,

Its always hard to be certain identifying a plant from photos, unless they are showing close-up the particular features required for identification (and those features will vary with each different type of plant).

But I'll have a go, and you might be able to find out more by doing some online searching:
1. Ptilotus
2. ??
3. wild tomato - Solanum
4. everlasting daisy
5. Sturts Desert Pea - Clianthus formosus
6. possibly a member of the Epacridaceae family
7. the flat red plants are possibly an insectivorous Drosera

Hope that gets the ball rolling for you.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 797210

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 21:25

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 21:25
Bob & Val
The last photo was actually take on top of Wave Rock where there was a small mossy section on a seepage area. Thanks for your input on flowers, it now appears that we need a wild flowers book so we know what we are looking at.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 797239

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 16:54

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 16:54
last pic is actually insectiverous plants not quite sure of the name - there a bit different to a drosera although they might be a type of.
broad leaf covered with tiny sticky laden tenticles
FollowupID: 797338

Reply By: Patrol GU IV - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 22:35

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 22:35
The wreath flowers shown are on the Wanarra Road near the Mount Gibson mine. If you come in from the Great Northern Highway they are approx 6 klms from the mine site heading towards Perenjori.

Most of the flowers are on the left but they are also some on the right.

AnswerID: 517438

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 09:55

Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 09:55
We came across them last week, absolutely brilliant! The wild flowers in WA have just blown us away. (We were speaking to a bloke the other week and we asked him if he has seen the wild flowers he just shrugged his shoulders and said that he would not bother, we have them on the east coast. We are from the east coast and we have no idea what he was talking about?) Kevin
FollowupID: 797082

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 11:43

Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 11:43
Hi Patrol.
Didnt give directions and left it to anyone interested to PM as there had been at least 3plants dug up on the right hand side. Happened the same day we were there by the look of it. Im sure members of this forum treat the bush as they should but unfortunately this is the second time we have seen this happen with wreath flowers. They had also been driven over and this was in a remote spot on a bush track a long way from a major road.
Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 797099

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 23:43

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 23:43
The Wreath flower is a Lechenaultia macrantha
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 797371

Reply By: new boy - Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 10:01

Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 10:01
We did a run Geraldton Mullewa Pindar coalseam and home last Thursday we were in the area couple of weeks back and the display has improved but not at it,s very best. Coalseam had had 48m 2 nights earlier and it was still raining so a bit of warm weather it should all improve .There were NO wreath flowers at Pindar don,t know if the rain will help them come out
AnswerID: 517450

Sponsored Links