mounting a air compressor

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 13:54
ThreadID: 10416 Views:3032 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
i would like to mount a 4wd air compressor under the drivers seat of my troopy . (max air or similar)has anyone else done this . why do i want to put it there ? i dont know .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 14:10

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 14:10
Glenno,

I also have a troopy (99 Model) and an ARB compressor but i cannot fit it under the seat.I mounted mine directly behind the drivers seat, seems ok so far and easier to do.
regards jeff
AnswerID: 46148

Follow Up By: glenno - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 19:21

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 19:21
thanks jeff
FollowupID: 308100

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 14:15

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 14:15
Glenno,

I personally wouldn't put it there. I am not sure about that brand but if anyone happens to be sitting in there at the time then they will need some good ear muffs. The other reason is most generate heat so unless it is the middle of winter why would you want to heat up the car. With a troopy I am sure there is plenty of room under the bonnett. To save having to lift the bonnett to connect a hose just run an air line to some convenient place on the vehicle. This line also acts as a reservoir. The longer the line the greater the capacity of the reservoir. I have found that using the ARB compressor with a line gives me high enough pressure for a short burst.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 46149

Follow Up By: duncs - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 15:38

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 15:38
Glenno and David,

The reason you put it there is because it keeps it cool and clean and that will help it last longer.

I have an ARB unit mounted under the front passenger seat of a GU and it works a treat. No one ever complains about the noise.

It was mounted under the bonnet but was cutting out beacause it was overheating. I believe this was beacause of the heat under the bonnet from the turbo. No probs since it was moved. It alsohelps in reacheing trailer tyres.

Duncs
FollowupID: 308078

Reply By: Perry - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 15:01

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 15:01
I have a Bluetongue (compressor that is) mounted under the back seat of my Landrover, which is hard wired, and allows me to reach all tyres on the vehicle and the trailer with the standard 6 metre hose. As for heat, I've only used mine when stopped so don't think this is relevant. Just make sure you use a heavy enough power cable for the distance from the battery. Happy compressing.
AnswerID: 46153

Follow Up By: Member - jtb - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 04:01

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 04:01
have done the same as perry accept arb compressor is noisy but their meant to be . cheers jtbrather be fishing
FollowupID: 308167

Reply By: Roachie - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 15:04

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 15:04
I have a MAX AIR mounted in the cargo bay of my Patrol behind the cargo barrier and on top of the roller draw. It feeds into a 3lt tank mounted just above it on the cargo barrier. The noise is not really an issue I don't think as it's only usually used for short bursts (mine takes about 33 seconds to fill the tank and air lines front and back...also have a gauge mounted on "A" pillar). I keep mine pumped up all the time to run a set of truck air horns on roof rack and also air locker. Each morning, while waiting for motor to warm up, I switch it on to re-fill the tank....it's usually dropped back to about 75psi by morning. If you are going to be pumping up tyres etc, then the noise shouldn't be a problem then either as you won't be sitting in the truck....it's not all that loud anyway.
It's a great compressor; 4 times faster than the ARB one it replaced (used to take just over 2 minutes to pump up the system to 100psi auto cut-off.
I would have loved to have mounted mine under the drivers seat but not enough room on the Patrol for the original ARB unit, and once I'd done all the plumbing I couldn't be bothered changing it all around to put the Maxair under the seat. IMHO it is far better to store compressors in the vehicle instead of the engine bay. Too much dust and moisture under there. However, if you do, I strongly suggest you take off the original air filter system and replace it with a piece of suitable hosing which leads off to the air cleaner element of your troopie. That way you're always g'teed of getting clean air.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 46154

Follow Up By: glenno - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 19:28

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 19:28
thanks roachie , truckster, perry, duncs ,outnabout david , and jeff . this will help me make the descision of where to put my compressor i will be getting for valentines day . although my wife doesnt know she is getting it for me yet .
FollowupID: 308102

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 19:02

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 19:02
Mine is under drivers seat, and works well. Never overheated, even doing 8 tires...

Its a good place I reckon, away from dirt dust and bleep .
AnswerID: 46187

Sponsored Links