Poor Service

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 15:56
ThreadID: 10421 Views:1716 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I purchased a roof rack last week and promptly fitted it to my 1997 Nissan Navara dual cab. Great rack and quality looked okay but unfortunetly the back doors would not close properly. The retaining bracket fits around the door rubber and the bracket was just too big. It caused the doors to kick out 4-5mm. Contacted the supplier, TRARALGON 4WD CENTRE in Victoria, and took it in and they also had a go at fitting the bar but the result was the same. I requsted a refund as the bar obviously did not fit correctly and the reply was "It's good enough!" They said "the bracket has a thick powder coat finish to prevent damage to the door if it bangs up against it!" After much arguing they agreed to take the bar back but deducted postage of $20.00 to send the bar back to the supplier!!!!
If this is the sort of advice given at this dealer I would greatly question their knowledge and professionalism.
The manufacturer of the rack was more reasonable and did not expect I would accept a product that was 'good enough' and will try to rectify the problem.
Anyone considering ordering any parts for their vehicle which are not stocked by the dealer should get an aggreement first that if the product does not fit or work to your satisfaction that they will give you a full cash refund.
All in all a $20.00 lesson in life and I know where I won't be doing any more business.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 16:46

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 16:46
I am sure that it is not legal to deduct $20 and that you should ring them and say that you have spoken to Consumer Affairs and that you want your $20 back.
Have a look at this download from the ACCC Guidelines. On page four is says you are not allowed to unreasonably charge freight on return of defective goods. Get your money back.
Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 46165

Follow Up By: PETER - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:26

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:26
Thanks for the link to ACCC, I downlowded the Trade Practices Act and have written a letter to the shop, I am awaiting their reply!!
FollowupID: 308186

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 16:57

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 16:57
I had a similar situation with a fridge part that failed after several weeks. Danfos refunded the money without any delay but to get the refund from the supplier took several months and then they deducted $20 postage and handling.
I used that company for considerable work related projects and note the use of "used". My complaint went unheeded and that $20 has lost them in excess of $100,000 of business. If they were ripping me off, what would they do to my employer.
I think I've nearly come out in front. Maybe in the next 10 years I might go back.
As you stated Peter. Vote with your feet.Dare to Lead not to Follow
AnswerID: 46167

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 17:35

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 17:35
if the product is not fit for the purpose then a full and I mean full refund is in order.

I'd send them a polite letter thanking them for a partial refund but advice given to you warrants this letter asking for an immediate refund of all monies paid or futher action will be taken to maintain your rights.Wow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
AnswerID: 46170

Reply By: GOB member vic - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 17:35

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 17:35
good day peter
is that the mob out the sale end of traralgon on the left
if it is i priced a tow bar there a few years aog when living in the valley wasnt impressed with the attitude then so went elsewhere and got it cheaper
steveimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
AnswerID: 46171

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:09

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:09
I also live in Traralgon & would be interested to know which 4WD centre you are talking about!
AnswerID: 46294

Follow Up By: PETER - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:24

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:24
It's Traralgon 4WD Centre, just up from Hungry Jacks on the Princes Highway but I think they may be in the process of changing their name??? I wonder why?
FollowupID: 308184

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:13

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:13
Very interesting! ..... I had a bull bar fitted there, it was crooked & way too low. When I complained & asked them to rectify it, they said who is going to pay? I said I had already paid to have it 'fitted' not just hung on the vehicle!
The only way I could get them to rectify it was to get the manufacturer to pressure them!
FollowupID: 308195

Sponsored Links