Hema maps on Ipad in the outback

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 10:03
ThreadID: 104231 Views:7238 Replies:6 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I am looking to buy an Ipad or a mini and put Hema maps on it. Can anyone tell me how effective it is in the outback? Is the in built GPS ok or do you need an external GPS.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 11:34

Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 11:34
I'm successfully using an iPad with Hema maps in the Outback.

You can only get a moving map functionality by getting an iPad that is GPS enabled. e.g. telstra 3 G.

There are no tricks to setting it up, just switch it on & press the app button & select from the map menu which map you want.

Works very well & the ability of passengers to see the screen is also a key feature - so much better than a 5" or 7" GPS navigator screen.

Cheers

Rick
AnswerID: 517811

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 17:08

Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 17:08
PS you may be able to bluetooth music/podcasts/etc from your iPad to your car - if your car is enabled. Beats leads & plug connections
FollowupID: 797544

Follow Up By: Member - TheFox3305 - Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 22:34

Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 22:34
Just to clarify a bit "You can only get moving map functionality by getting an iPad that is GPS enabled. e.g. telstra 3 G."

The only iPad models that have GPS, also have provision for 3G sim cards.

BUT ... you do not need a SIM card nor do you need to be in 3G coverage to get moving maps with Hema maps.
- The GPS function does not rely on 3g, though on some apps (not Hema) there are messages that GPS accuracy is increased with WIFI enabled.
- Hema maps installs the map files on to your iPad.

Using Google maps, and WhereIs, you do need 3g coverage as those maps are not installed on your iPad - you are accessing map data over 3g unless you have WIFI access via another method.

FollowupID: 797576

Follow Up By: Hema Maps - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:04

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:04
Well said TheFox3305, it is a tough concept to explain.
FollowupID: 797607

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:22

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:22
True enough, Fox3305. I realised after I posted that my statement was a little misleading - you have fixed it well.
FollowupID: 797608

Reply By: Member - TheFox3305 - Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 11:40

Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 11:40
It is just as effective as any GPS with an internal aerial.

In the wife's Mondeo, mounted on the windscreen, it gets very hot and will cut out with the heat on a hot day driving into the sun. Covering with towel helps a bit.

I have a GPS repeater in the F250 (external aerial, black box, internal aerial broadcasting in the vehicle) so we can mount the unit low in the car away from the sun. Had it >12 years so was not bought for the iPad in particular, but has been very handy over the years.

The iPad opens up heaps of applications to you besides GPS. Starwalk is great. And email, news, banking, facebook, Exploroz, recipes, etc when in 3g coverage.

Wikicamps only works in 3g coverage, but you can look ahead whilst you have got it.
We use TomTom on the iPad for street navigation and play our music from iPad to car stereo. So when TomTom wants to talk, the music dies, the instructions come through loud and clear through all the car speakers, then the music keeps going. I love that. And TomTom can run in the background to Hema, so the speed warnings and directions from TomTom can be heard whilst viewing the Hema maps, which gives you more of an overview of the area around you than TomTom.

In my opinion, don't get a sim card for the iPad. If you have multiple devices you want to connect to the internet (eg we have iPad, Laptop, and 2 mobile phones), get a wi-fi modem and connect all devices through that. The modem can be plugged into the cig lighter in the car via a USB adaptor. The data costs heaps less through prepaid than via phones. We spend a lot of time on the road and have dropped our home internet and use the prepaid modem for home PCs as well.

The first USB adaptor we bought for the iPad was useless. Could not keep up with the iPad running and went flat during long days driving. This one works fantastic.

You can't beat the big screen for map viewing.

Trevor

AnswerID: 517812

Follow Up By: Hema Maps - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:34

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:34
Sounds like you've got close to the perfect setup Trevor! The iPad really can be the ideal hub for all your day-to-day stuff, though it's still surprising to hear it all listed at once.

Have you thought at all about getting the Camps Australia Wide app? It could be a good offline substitute for Wikicamps.

Safe journey...
FollowupID: 797611

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:49

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:49
Ah Hema Maps, just the person to ask. Can you sell me the Camps Australia option for Oziexplorer and OziCE?

I have purchased all your maps both individually and on DVD/CD.

Phil
FollowupID: 797613

Follow Up By: Hema Maps - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:32

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:32
Hi Phil, we don't actually have the Camps Australia data as a standalone product. We have Camps Australia Wide Camps 7 integrated into the street nav of the Hema Navigator, which is the length of our affiliation.

Onto plan B?

Safe journey...
FollowupID: 797617

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:13

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:13
I don't really need it that badly. Very few of the places that we camp are in it anyway. We rarely even use caravan parks etc. Don't like crowds.

Have a good one

Phil

A good example; This won't be in it:

FollowupID: 797621

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 18:19

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 18:19
Hello Phil

You can purchase the CAMPS7 POI's for OziExplorer here.

I am not sure what information is provided in the waypoint file...assume you would need the actual book to obtain all info on specific sites besides location ..but not sure.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 797644

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 18:04

Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 18:04
I too am using the Hema app on an iPad and it works fantastic. I previously had a built in head unit with a 7 inch screen and found it too small to do any planning etc.
The larger iPad size screen is fantastic although if space was an issue the mini would probably be ok as we'll.
I have the built in Gps but have never put a sim card in mine, I just tether it to my iPhone if I want to access the web
AnswerID: 517830

Reply By: Member - Bill13 - Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 19:29

Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 19:29
Not wanting to hijack the thread but what is the difference between Hema Maps and Memory Maps?
Is Hema Maps worth the money with Memory Maps free?
Bill
AnswerID: 517834

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 21:45

Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 21:45
Same here Bill.

I was also wondering what "Hema Maps" was. Is "Hema Maps" anything like Oziexplorer?

Our whole family is using Ozi.

Phil
FollowupID: 797570

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 22:27

Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 22:27
You can buy the Hema Maps set for Memory Map. I'm using it. Memory Map may be a free app but the maps aren't and the licensing is quite strict.
Phil, you can't run Ozi on an Apple product yet. They are supposedly working on it. I prefer Memory Map now and it works on my Android phone with the same maps.
FollowupID: 797575

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 06:13

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 06:13
I was using Ozi as well but have found Hema or Memory maps much easier to use
FollowupID: 797580

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 08:54

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 08:54
Hi Mike

I found this thread confusing. You have confirmed what I originally understood to be true. "Hema Maps" is a set of maps. It is not an application. So you need an application to display them on the screen and for your position to be shown you need an application that is GPS capable. One could use a picture viewer or similar to display just a map on a screen. But to automatically display where you are on a map you need something like Memory Map or Oziexplorer etc.

That's where grammar is so important. I understood the first post to be saying that "Hema Maps" was an application or computer program, which will display ones position, direction and track etcetera, on an automatically selected map.

Alby; It's a bit like which beer you prefer. Or even if you like wine. Me, I once tried wine once and now prefer a good cup of tea or sometimes nice cold beer. A personal choice. Some even like Patrols!!!!

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 797589

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:09

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:09
Mike

I meant to say that we have OziCE on a double din VMS 7500 box installed in the dash. I think that I have around 12Gb of maps on it now. Including all the Hema ones. The rest of the family also run Ozi so that is best for us. Everything compatable. Just copy the files and you have the same track, waypoints and associated pre-recorded sound files.

We don't have iPods, iPads etc. And tend to leave the mobile phone off. No interest in the Borg society in this household mate.

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 797592

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:15

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:15
Phil, I think that Hema actually put out their own app that is a rebranded version of Memory Map. And the Borg? I've heard resistance is futile :-)
FollowupID: 797593

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:22

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:22
Another confusion. Thanks Mike.

Mate I will resist. I do not see any reason why I need a mobile phone. Especially one with internet access. Doesn't even cook a good snag sandwich. Useless.

Cheers mate

Phil
FollowupID: 797594

Follow Up By: Hema Maps - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:23

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 13:23
Hi all, some good questions being posed here. To answer your questions, Bill the 4WD Maps app from Hema comes with Hema Maps's complete digital collection of maps preloaded with the app. This includes Australia-wide maps (1:250K TOPO and 1:1Million Touring maps), state maps, regional maps and national park maps. To see the bigger explanation and map lists check out the link http://bit.ly/13B5zGz

The app is great for people who want to tour in their 4WD and have Hema's entire digital map collection at their fingertips, because it makes everything from planning, executing and recording your trips simple and reliable.

It's also important to note that the functionality of Memory Map and 4WD Maps from Hema is the same.
FollowupID: 797609

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:50

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:50
Hi Iceman,

The red circle is my current location and it has been working like a charm since the day I downloaded it. Very happy with the app and it's even better on the iPad mini.

Cheers

Craig

FollowupID: 797643

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 23:37

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 23:37
Iceman

If you already own the Hema Map set on DVD you can use it with an app like Bit Map (it has recently changed its name to Maps n Trax but requires iOS6). If not, the Hema app contains all the Hema maps. An alternative is Mud Map HD. I find I use the Hema app a lot more because I prefer their maps.

Bob
AnswerID: 517947

Reply By: Iceman - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 22:19

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 22:19
Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank everyone for their contribution and replies. I was certain that using an Ipad was a very good idea. Now with all these responses it was certainly made my mind up to go ahead with this option. Once again thank you it certainly was an interesting discussion point.

Best Regards,

Iceman
AnswerID: 518097

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 09:58

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 09:58
Before you rush out and hand over your hard earned to Apple, have a good look at the alternatives.

I have a iPod, an iPhone and an iPad and I have to say, the iPad frustrates the hell out of me, especially for navigation purposes. The fact it won't run OziExplorer is a real nuisance, when everything else I have is based on Ozi - all my maps and tracks, treks etc. trying to convert them to a different format that is Apple compatible is either impossible or so complex that you can spend whole evenings trying and still failing.

So you finish up buying everything again and being constantly disappointed about the number of really simple things Ozi does that Apple compliant apps don't. Such as editing your track, to remove the false turns etc from it for future reference or for posting or sharing with your mates.

I reckon what I've spent on recreating what I had could have bought me to non-apple tablets, that gave me all the benefits of having a laptop in the car, without the ineligance of the myriad of wires or the weight and bulk of a laptop.

Many people buy iPads thinking they are little computers but there are so many things that you can do on a PC that you can't do on an iPad. This may well be fine for you, but just understand that it may well not be, and that there are other alternatives.

Good luck with whatever you buy.
FollowupID: 797858

Sponsored Links