Dual Cab Touring Vehicle

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 21:49
ThreadID: 104247 Views:3344 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
So a few months ago I DID own a 2000 Toyota Hilux 2.8l Diesel dual cab, but to make a long story short, the engine cracked it and I was up for a repair bill bigger than the car was worth... So I sold it to the mechanic for a reasonable price.

That now leaves me in the position to purchase something new and I would like some advice. I'm thinking of spending around $20k (give or take) and my aim is to have a reliable touring vehicle that a small, young family can comfortably travel in... I need to have the ute option because occasionally I need to carry a mower around for work.

What would you suggest is the best dual cab for us? I'm happy start with a stock vehicle and add my own bits and pieces as I go too.

As a side note, the latest 4wd Action magazine suggests the 2006 Nissan Navara D22 as a good option because the well known ZD30 engine problems don't seem to affect them... Is this true?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:50

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:50
I'd suggest you join a navara forum or simply type navara zd30 problems into the googles. There were less issues with the navara, but there were still plenty. $20k gets a fairly recent colorado/dmax/triton, these days, all of which I'd take over a d22.
The nissan-o-philes have a zd30 workaround solution which is o.k. for a new car or one you know the history of, but not so flash on an 06 with an unknown background.
Blown turbos, head gaskets, cracked heads, and cracking pistons are the order of the day, and when it happens you've just invested a whole lot more $$$ in your ute.
AnswerID: 517850

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 06:28

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 06:28
Agree, I would be looking at the others on the list before the Nissan, the Hilux's hold there money more so you probably will not get a good example in that price range but there would be some good choices in the others
FollowupID: 797581

Follow Up By: J4rchie - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:08

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:08
Thanks for the advice. I've done a quick google and as much as I like the look of the D22 Navara, I'm starting to feel a bit wary of the problems associated with the ZD30... Even if they are less likely in later models.
FollowupID: 797591

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 08:46

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 08:46
If it was a 2000 hilux it should have been a 3 litre 5L motor.

If you where happy with that why not look for another one preferably in the 2001 to 2005 bracket.
they are pretty thick on the ground and a good truck.

The post 2001 diesels have an electronically controlled conventional diesel pump and are about as good as it gets without going common rail.
In normally aspirated they make about 7 more HP than the pre 01 models and drive better.
There are turbo diesel versions around in that era and they go pretty well.
But the 2.7 litre petrol will leave em both in the dust.
the 3 litre V6 petrol came in that model and there are a few about...if you can find one...hell what a thing.

The thing with the hiluxes they and their accesories are pretty thick on the ground.

In that age group you should come up with something pretty fair around the 20K.
If you buy well you will have $$$ left over for some accesories.

Pitty you sold the old one, because you could have fairly quickly transfered any goodies you had straight over the the new platform.

cheers
AnswerID: 517858

Follow Up By: J4rchie - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:04

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:04
Thanks. I was very happy with the Hilux as it was... minus the highway driving. Once the speed got upwards of 90km/h, it felt like a dog and I I would get tired of it very quickly on longer trips. It did have an after market turbo (which is a possible contributor to the problems it ended up with), but even then it was still difficult to drive at higher speeds.

I suppose that raises another question... In the Hilux diesels, what model engine did they start to be considered more of a comfortable highway driving vehicle?

Ps. Part of the reason I got a decent price from the mechanic was because of the goodies it had. I bought it like that though too and didn't make any mods other than put BFG All terrains on it. So I'm keen to start from scratch and make my own mods, rather than inherit.
FollowupID: 797590

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:28

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:28
I have a normally aspirated 03 diesel and it runs fine on the highway at 100 -110.
It sits happily at 60Kmh in third on the beach, it just loves 80Kmh anywhere making it a great dirt road tourer and it pulls well at low RPM in low range.

Its no rocket ship and ya do have to drive it like a diesel.

Once ya get into the flow, I find it quite relaxing, it will hold the 100kmh happily without running away like a petrol car does so ya don't constantly have to watch the speed or depend on cruse control....there is no hand trottle

Ya not going to pass much and ya will slow down on the bigger hills

Admttedly I do travel fairly light...but that is the whole point of a hilux.

There are singnificant improvements in the engines right across the range from around 01.
The 2.7 litre petrol goes from a carby to fuel injection, the fuel injected V6 is offered and both the normally aspirated diesel and the turbo diesel get the electronically managed diesel pump.

They all go better than the models a year before.

If ya realy want a fast highway vehicle.....petrol is the go...I have a 2.7 litre petrol work truck and while you would not say it goes like a shower of $#@t, its got ample power and goes pretty well even full of tools and with ladders on.
The 2.7 liter petrol makes much more power than either of the diesels.
In my opinion its one of the best 4 cylinder petrol motors ever built.
All the ignition parts are high on the motor and fairly well sealed.
It actually makes more power than both the 4.1 liter six from the XF falcon and the 253 V8 from the HQ holden.

As for the V6......hell if I could have laid my hands on one of those on the right terms...I would not be driving the diesel....hell what a thing.

cheers
FollowupID: 797601

Follow Up By: Axle - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:44

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:44
G/Day mate, This time I will agree with you...LOl...LOl.

The 2.7l Petrol would have to be the best engine toyo have produced ever.....Drove a hilux the other day with 580,000ks on it! that engine has not been touched, and runs like a clock.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 797627

Follow Up By: J4rchie - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:05

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:05
How does the petrol go on fuel economy compared to the diesel?
FollowupID: 797633

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:24

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:24
AHH well that depends on how you drive it....the petrol motor will tend to be better at higher speed.

One of the reasons why the diesel tends to be more economical is because it simply does not make as much power, putting the foot down hard is pretty pointless so ya don't tend to.

The other thing is that diesel has been loosing its advantage for years because diesel has not been significantly cheaper than petrol for a very long time.

cheers
FollowupID: 797639

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 20:26

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 20:26
I had an '03 3.4 v6 auto from new for 6 years and 200 kms. It was a great ute which ended up being fairly modified.
I got 15-16 l per 100 out of it fully loaded with a roof rack. The manual would do a bit better.
The 2.7 actually doesn't give too much away to the v6 in an empty ute, but starts to run out of a bit of puff when they are loaded up. They also get fairly thirsty in a heavy ute, but will always get there. As stated, a great engine also.
If you are happy with petrol, you'll drive your dollar further that's for sure.
FollowupID: 797653

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 23:21

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 23:21
I think its worth saying again...the secret with hiluxes and the other light utes is to keep them light.

Their advantage is that they are light to start with, if you can keep them light as possible all their advantages remain.

As soon as you start to load them heavily they struggle and are at a significant dis-advantege compared to the heavy utes.

Ya Hilux will carry nearly as much as ya landcruser..and it will do the job.....but not as easily and probably at no advantage in fuel economy.

The hilux is over half a tonne lighter both empty and fully laden than the equavalent 70 series...and even lighter unladen than the 100 series......if you can keep it lightly loaded you can have a clear 1 tonne advantage over a lot of the heavier touring 4wds on the road.

That means a great deal in fuel economy and in the ability to traverse soft ground.

cheers
FollowupID: 797663

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 07:39

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 07:39
Maybe a thought from outside the square -

Have you considered expanding the range of options by using a trailer for the occasional ute job?

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517900

Sponsored Links