Weeping shockabsorber

Submitted: Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 14:23
ThreadID: 104253 Views:3487 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Troops

A search revealed nought.

One of my rear aftermarket shocks is leaking a wee tad of oil. No drips, just enough to wet the outside surface.

My first thought was that it's stuffed and should be replaced (in this instance under warranty as < 12 mths old).

I rang the mob (who shall not be identified at this stage) and they asked that I clean it up first and then monitor. They claimed they can leak a small amount without being buggered.

Sounds sus to me, so I thought I'd pose the question here.

Am I on the money or could they be correct?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce b2 - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:24

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:24
Sounds sus to me but i am not mechanically minded, have you considered ringing another suspension mob for their thoughts ? My first car, my grandparents Austin A40 from 1950 front shockers used to leak so we just kept filling with hydraulic fluid. But with yours being less than 12 months old ? what about checking with your local automobile association, NMRA, RACV, RAA of SA. They would probably give some free advice.
bb
AnswerID: 517871

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:27

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:27
Thanks Bruce

In fairness I should have mentioned they did say they would happily replace if it continued to leak.
FollowupID: 797616

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:53

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:53
Rosco
Shock absorbers should not leak. Any oil will collect grit on the shaft and it will wear the seal and accelerate the leakage.
The oil is a measured quantity and if some is outside, then that means it isn't inside where it should be to enable the shock to work properly controlled through it's full stroke and temp ability.

I like how the workshops automatically say you can leak some out without it being buggered.
What exactly is buggered? a leak or only when you notice the shock isn't working as it should and suspension or control degradation is noticed.

It may not have lost much yet, and a wipe and observe will determine the rate of expulsion. Still not good. Usually a shock only leaks a little bit at a time. How many little bits means not enough oil.?
If loaded or towing, then you require a capable shock not a sick one.

Ross M
AnswerID: 517872

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:59

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 15:59
Pretty well my thoughts also. Interesting how they'll postpone the inevitable. Can hardly see the sense in it really.
FollowupID: 797619

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:49

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:49
I can see the sense in it. If you don't worry too much and keep looking and wiping to see how much oil it is losing, then there is a chance you won't have finished that checking process before warranty has expired. Then you pay for the shocks and they don't. Simple economics really.
FollowupID: 797630

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:58

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:58
That may be their game play, but I'm one jump ahead of them in that regard.

I'm taking a couple of days off to extend next weekend to 4 and we're off for a short 1000 odd Km trip. Needless to say I shall be checking them very carefully on my return + a quick squiz along the way.
FollowupID: 797631

Follow Up By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 19:31

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 19:31
Had weak pussy brand shocks(use imagination)One started to leak on the gunbarrel,stunk like used fish shop oil when the shock got hot.Made it to Alice where i replaced it.When back in perth tried to get paid instead of replacement but to no avail.Now have brand new front spare,

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 797728

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:08

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:08
Oil or grease,

I know when I installed my new set I noticed after awhile a damp stain in the dust on the shocker, I contacted the manufactures agent and they said it most likely not due to oil but from excessive grease used during assembly. They also said to wipe it clean and keep an eye on it. The weeping did not re-occur.

Over heating the shock will also cause it to leak.

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517873

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:30

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:30
The simple answer is to wipe it clean, and see if it continues to leak.

If it continues to leak.....no further worry required......warranty claim.

Simples

If it does not leak....well then you have something to worry about......

cheers
AnswerID: 517877

Sponsored Links