Camper trailer with leaf spring

Submitted: Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 18:43
ThreadID: 104256 Views:3151 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone. My understanding is that with camper trailers and caravans with leaf springs is that the leafs are always under the the axle. I have a friend who has just moved his leaf springs to go above the axle to give him some extra clearance. Is there any issue with doing this and if so what?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kev.h - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 19:20

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 19:20
Hi Adders
The short answer is no as long as the spring is correctly located
You may have to roll the axle over to have the locating pad on top and may have to turn the spring center bolt over depends on your springs
Kev
AnswerID: 517879

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 20:14

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 20:14
As Kev says do it correctly and you will have no problems.
I have a 24 foot caravan and had it raised in this manner a couple of years ago.
The caravan maintenance company that did it, does about 30 a year.
Informed my insurance company and had it noted on their schedule as a modification.
AnswerID: 517884

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 23:37

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 23:37
Either way is equally common with trailers.

2 of my 3 trailers are sprung over ( spring over axle) and have been that way from new.

One of my boat trailers that is sprung under when fitted with 13 inch wheels comes sprung over when fitted with 14 inch wheels.

Most heavy vehicles with leaf springs are sprung over, hiluxes are sprung over.

It can be argued that is better for weight carrying because the entire load is supported in compression, spring on axle and not hanging on the ubolts

one thing though.....make sure that the spring pads ( the pieces of steel between the spring and the axle) are welded to the axle and there is a locating pin in the spring pack that locates in a hole in the spring pad.

The only reason you spring a vehicle under is to lower the chassis height.

cheers
AnswerID: 517895

Reply By: adders - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:32

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:32
Thanks very much guys for your responses. This makes me feel alot more comfortable. I may even do the same to my off road camper to get just a little bit more clearance.
Cheers Peter.
AnswerID: 517915

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 15:25

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 15:25
Something worth checking is to see if the Axle has a slight bend in it. Some makers do this to give the wheels a slight Camber. If it has the bend then it is best not to rotate the axle as the bend will then be in the opposite direction to what was intended.
AnswerID: 517926

Reply By: Adam H - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 17:14

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 17:14
Hi Adders

One thing to remember when raising the height of the trailer, to to make sure if you have a soft floor camper that the floor will still reach the ground. Was thinking the same though cant do it as it would make the trailer to high and my tent floor wont touch the ground properly. my trailer height is at its max for the tent i have bolted to the trailer.
Just one more thing to consider.
AnswerID: 517930

Reply By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 00:04

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 00:04
Actually there are lots of issues to consider-

With your axle over and you break a U bolt, the axle is still constrained by the leaf pack.
Axle under with no U bolts and the axle will twist sideways and likely flip the trailer. It'll certainly do a lot more damage than axle over. Check straps or chains can reduce this problem.

Axle under moves the braking forces on the axle resulting in more leaf pack wind up under barking. That can be a problem.

Its commonly done but your friend needs to do some research and there's lots of info via Google.
AnswerID: 517948

Sponsored Links