Toyota LC queery

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 20:03
ThreadID: 104267 Views:2463 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm hoping you Landcruiser buffs out there can answer this pozer for me.---My mate has a 100 series IFS 2005 update model that has a front suspension with NO COILS!-- thats right,-no springs at all, struts only----I'm amazed at this as I've had exactly the same model, and it --and to my best knowledge, all other IFS models----had coil springs with struts inside the coil---(and coils at the rear with shockers outside)----Was there a model made with only struts alone at the front?---or is it possible the previous owner for some reason removed the coils.---looking underneath it looks very much like it's all a factory version from Toyota, very neat, and no sign of any previous coil housings, but again, I'm unaware of any model with no springs whatsoever on the front,- ---Will be eagerly waiting for some expert LC advice on this
Cheers all.....Sapper D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 20:36

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 20:36
Have you tried lcool ? That's the best spot for asking cruiser questions I would have thought.

Very unusual indeed though.

Brett...
AnswerID: 517938

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 20:36

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 20:36
Hi. They have torsion bars. There should be an adjusting bolt roughly in line with the front seat back but under the car. Bob
AnswerID: 517939

Follow Up By: Sapper D - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 20:49

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 20:49
Thanks Bob!...I assumed something like that is the end result, but was it a factory model that came out like that, or would it be after market work that has been done in this case?........Sapper D
FollowupID: 797699

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:21

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:21
They are definately factory built. as to what year models I don't know. I have seen 2003 and 2005 year with torsion bars. Both were turbo diesel autos.
FollowupID: 797702

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 06:51

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 06:51
My 2000 model had torsion bars no springs.

Phil
FollowupID: 797707

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:18

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:18
IFS is an acronym for Independent Front Suspension was fitted at the factory (production) in the last few years of the 100 series production to all but the base model cruisers.
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517944

Follow Up By: Off-track - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:59

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:59
Not entirely true. Excerpt from lcool;

The 100 series vs. 105 series

When first released in Australia in March 1998, the new 100 series Landcruiser wagons all looked very similar, apart from the obvious things like wheels, body moulds and the fancy chrome bits between model grades. But as time progressed we began to learn that there are in fact 2 very different chassis setups underpinning these bodies.

In this day and age of monocoque vehicle design, it was good to see the Cruiser did in fact retain its traditional rugged truck like separate chassis design.

The 105 series chassis is essentially a carry over from the previous 80 series. Apart from some improvements to rigidity through extra cross members, better frontal impact absorption and different outriggers to support the new body, it continues to offer us live axles front and rear.

Live axle or Rigid Front Suspension (RFS) as Toyota refer to it uses the familiar 3 link setup with forged lower arms, panhard rod, coil springs and recirculating ball steering box. It was standard fitment on STD, RV and GXL models at release. Front and rear differential locks were offered as factory options.

The 100 series chassis is an all new design, utilising a different chassis which is some 40mm wider at the rear, narrowing down at the front to incorporate the fixed front differential, torsion bars, heavy cross member for the rear torsion bar mounts and of course the double wishbone front suspension with rack and pinion steering. Independent Front Suspension (IFS) offers according to Toyota information “a high level of steering ability and ride comfort, whilst maintaining excellent off road drivability and durability”. A front diff lock was never offered as a factory option with IFS.

The IFS was only available on the GXV model (and Lexus LX470) initially at release, but progressed to the GXL and GXV turbo diesel models when the V8 GXV was dropped in Oct. 2000. Further model progressions in Oct. 2002 saw it fitted to all models except the STD and GXL diesel wagons with 1HZ engine, when the 4.5L petrol engine was dropped.

To date there have been numerous reports of failures of the IFS lower wishbones, where the arm cracks adjacent to the point where the torsion bar bolts to it, sometimes to the point that the vehicle will sit on it’s bumpstop. This appears only to be evident on the turbo diesel models where the extra weight of the inline 6 cylinder and the different weight distribution of the longer engine cause the arm to be more highly stressed, particularly if the vehicle has additional accessories and has been used offroad. Some companies like ARB and Pedders are making strengthening kits to help alleviate the problem.

The rear suspensions of both the 100 and 105 series are the familiar 5 link design, utilising upper and lower control arms, panhard rod, coil springs and shock absorbers although the geometry is quite different. The 105 series also retains the traditional Cruiser full floating rear axle shafts whereas the 100 series utilises the semi-floating rear axle design.

The 2 chassis variants are distinguished by their model code which is easily found on the ID plate under the bonnet. Any model code with the suffix “100” (eg. UZJ100, HDJ100) is of IFS design, and “105” (eg. HZJ105, FZJ105) is of RFS design. However an easy way of telling at a glance is by the wheel rim design - deep dish zero offset for RFS and flat appearing 40mm offset for the IFS.
FollowupID: 797703

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:37

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013 at 21:37
Sapper D
Vehicles have to have either coils, airbags or torsion bars on IFS, fancy stuff may have hydraulic bag system.
When you said, no springs at all, that can't really be.

A coil spring is a coiled torsion bar, so just in a different form. Still a spring unit though.
An airbag is also a "spring".

Ross M
AnswerID: 517945

Follow Up By: Sapper D - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 20:09

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 20:09
Thanks everyone for your input, but I'm still a bit confused.---I'm fairly familiar with most of the LC designs dating from 1998-99 solid axles,-through to the change to IFS in the later models, but I was certain that this particular cruiser I'm queering (-2005 GXL TD update model--the last of the 100s)) was only produced with the combined strut inside coil front suspension.---( I had one myself, and couldn't replace a blown strut out back because of the complexity of the IFS)- but this one definately has not got coils, honest! only struts (front shocks if you like), and it's definitely a 2005 GXL TD, ------got me tossed,

Hope I'm not sounding like a "stuck needle" but I'd like to solve the "riddle".................Cheers all....Sapper D
FollowupID: 797733

Sponsored Links