Suspension upgrade

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:26
ThreadID: 10431 Views:3079 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone - went to my local mechanic today to have a suspension upgrade fitted. I supplied Koni long travel shocks and 250kg rated King Springs - supposedly which would give me a 50mm lift. Turns out they only lifted the car about 23 in front and 25mm at rear. I have with a lot of stuffing around organised to have the springs changed over at the spring supplier but the mechanic advised me that if I go the extra 25mm my brake lines will be stretching at full travel of the shocks and may suffer damage. I drive a 2003 GU 3.0 diesel. I always thought that a 50mm lift was basic stuff and am surprised that this is the case. Does anyone know of a fix? I wish I hadn't started the whole process now, but I intend to persevere at this stage.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:50

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:50
I have fitted a lot of 50mm lift on all types of 4wd, no problems with brake lines.
Koni long travel shocks will do the job with out any trouble.

Wayne
AnswerID: 46215

Reply By: Diamond(due to duck season) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:58

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 20:58
gday macnjen.
i have fitted heaps of 50mm lifts to gq/gu .
you might not get the full 50mm but you get close.
the only advise i could give is go back get your money back and try else where.
with 50mm lift the shocks would be the only thing you might have to change but you did that so they have either got no idea what they ordered or the wrong ones were sent out but they fitted them any way.
it sounds like they dont really know what they are doing.
cheers
due to duck season coming
ive decided to hide out
love jemima puddle duck
back after the season
AnswerID: 46217

Reply By: Eric.- Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 21:05

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 21:05
Were did you take your mesurment ? Make sure the before and after measurments are taken from top lip of the guard to the bottom of the rim , not the tyre . if the tyre is not a diffrent ground , it will bolge difrently and give you a false reading . 50 mm will have no need for longer brake lines , unless you want to disconnect sway bars . If you go more than 50 mm , then longer brake lines are a must , make sure you get skinnier braded lines , this will keep a good brake pedal Venus Bay
AnswerID: 46221

Follow Up By: macandjen - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 22:03

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 22:03
I took the measurement from the bottom of the guard to the bottom of the rim through the centre of the axle. Did it at the same location (garage) so I would know what I got. I am a bit cranky about the whole thing now, having talked the boss intot he upgrade and now not much to show for it...doesn't look good for me convincing her about the winch, etc etc. Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

FollowupID: 308133

Follow Up By: Eric.- Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 22:12

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 22:12
what springs were in it before ? standard ? are you sure ?
What state are you in , I have a great contact with Kings springs Venus Bay
FollowupID: 308136

Follow Up By: macandjen - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 22:41

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 22:41
Eric, they were standard Nissan springs and shocks. The car has done 15000k's. The springs and shocks I was assured by the supplier in Melbourne are the correct fit, however when I rang his supplier today the guy at the other end, after some stuffing around told me, "Sorry mate it would appear you need different springs to the one's you've got. If you bring the car here tomorrow we'll change them over." I didn't discuss if this was a freebie or not - silly me but I am not paying out anymore of my hard earned for another 25mm. If I cant get it done for free I'll put the originals back on I think and get a refund. I cant really blame the mechanic as he installed what I supplied. It makes me wonder how the spare parts people get it so wrong all the time. I think I should have paid the extra dollars and just gone to ARB!! I am in Croydon
FollowupID: 308140

Follow Up By: Eric.- Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:13

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:13
and what brand springs do you think ARB use lol . KINGS my friend , when ordering springs , all you need to tell them is what hight you want to acheive and what weight you want to carry . They will swap them over for you no probs . Hang in there dont give up just yet . Where did you get them from , I hope it wasnt Suspention City ?Venus Bay
FollowupID: 308143

Follow Up By: Goran - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:23

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:23
ARB uses Old Man Emy springs,not Kings.
FollowupID: 308199

Follow Up By: tim - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 13:38

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 13:38
Eric
Where do you get your king springs from because i am after a 2" lift for my 3.0 gu111 patrol, but have not decided if i will get progressive or normal springs.
Tim
FollowupID: 308211

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 15:44

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 15:44
Eric,
Just a small thing, if you fit the thinner braided hoses this takes a lot of the feel out of the pedal if you change all the flexible lines to braided hoses, when the vehicle manufacturer designs the braking system the swelling of the flexible lines is what gives the brakes "feel". I changed mine on another vehicle a few years ago and the whole braking characteristics changed, the brakes became quite sharp and tended to lock up in the wet, I changed the two rear hoses back to rubber after a while this seemed to make things a lot better. Technology may have changed now to allow for this so it could well not be a problem it's just something I though might be of interest. Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 308218

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 16:13

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 16:13
Gday
Old Man Emu dont make springs (or shox), but get Kings to supply them with black paint. Just like Ironman got theirs from Lovell in Grey etc etc etc
FYI Monroe make OME shox (and Pedder)
All this asside, if you pay for a 2 inch lift, and dont get it, its your call as to what to do, you are entitled to your money back, but look on the other side of the coin aswell.....bet the new suspension wont sag down under weight like the old, and insurance wont be nasty to you if your only up an inch. Ride would be firmer but more controlled, and last but not least, it is your shox that control downward amount of travel, and therefore springs wont effect brakelines. When seriuos lifts are done, shocks are usually std length plus the lift, and then you need longer brakelines.
Hope this is of some help, you probably have springs to suit a petrol, the diesel is heavier and therefore wont be lifted up as much.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 308223

Follow Up By: Eric.- Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 18:16

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 18:16
Thanks Dozer , So your correct next time you jump in the deep end , Old man emu is there rebage name for Munro shocks , There springs are from Kings with there specs . The good thing with Kings is that you can order any spring you like custom made , but there will be no warranty on that spring , if you order off the shelf they will assist in any way they can Venus Bay
FollowupID: 308242

Follow Up By: Eric.- Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 18:17

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 18:17
Where are you from Tim ? Ill try and recomend somewere near you Venus Bay
FollowupID: 308243

Follow Up By: tim - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:42

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:42
Hi Eric
I am in the northern suburbs of melbourne
FollowupID: 308307

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 17:52

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 17:52
send a email to wholesalecars@optusnet.com.au with your specs Tim and ill email you back some pricesVenus Bay
FollowupID: 308361

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 21:06

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 21:06
A 50mm lift is EASY!
Anyone you cannot give this from standard should not be supplying and fitting suspensions. You are right it is basic stuff.
AnswerID: 46222

Reply By: Big Trev - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 21:46

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 21:46
Had it done recently at Pedders in Bendigo, no problem at all on a GQ/Maverick. 2 inches isn't that much. Mind you the 2 inches that was achieved was from the old measurement with 15 yo springs and shocks to the new measurment. The actually told me the amount of lift to the exact millimeter at the end of the job. Great blokes over there and give good service with good accurate knowledge. Thoroughly recomend them. Tell them Big Trev sent you, you never know Grant might even give you a coffee (and a discount).
AnswerID: 46235

Follow Up By: Diamond(due to duck season) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:31

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:31
gday big trev.so you another central vic guy.
i know grant and the boys very very well.
great blokes that will go out of there way to help.
i dont know about a coffee but i got a jacket lol.cheersdue to duck season coming
ive decided to hide out
love jemima puddle duck
back after the season
FollowupID: 308148

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 22:39

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 22:39
you can check for yourself by climbing under with one side of the body jacked up off the ground till thewheel is clear of the ground. car stands under body, get under and check for the brake lines, see how much space there is.

what do you want to do?? Bigger tires? Steve Roly ran 36x11's on his 3.0 GU with 2inch lift, no problems.
AnswerID: 46247

Reply By: Roachie - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:02

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 23:02
G'day,
I got my 2nd lot of aftermarket springs fitted by Binskins at wauchope, nsw. I originally had 2" OME and Koni Long travel shocks put on my 2000 4.2T/D GU when I bought it new. Then I had Polyairs put in to cater for the weight of LR Tank, recovery gear, dual wheel carrier/steel rear bar etc.
After a trip to the Cape in mid 2002, the back end was still looking a bit sad, so I got Binskins to put Lovells on; 4" front and 5" rear, still with the Konis. I was in the workshop when they did the job and actually cut the factory wrappers off the springs while the spanner man was taking the old ones off (so I KNOW they were that height, as it said so on the labelling). I have also now removed both sway bars.
The truck has done a lot of reasonably serious off road work (eg: Border Track in Ngakatt Cons Park, SA) and I have not had any problems with brake hoses, which haven't been extended. I also haven't needed to use use adjustable Panhard Rods or Castor correction devices. Truck drives and handles very well, with a little more body roll due to no sway bars.
You definitely can do a 2" lift without changing anything else.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 46252

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 00:20

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 00:20
Just my shillings worth......careful if you decide to change the brake lines for braided ones, believe it or not, they are illegal on registered cars in NSW. I used them on my race car, and they made the peddal solid...no sponge affect at all, cant work out why they wouldnt allow it on roads Stupid law but i got pinged for putting them on my VL. Not sure of Victorian laws. Just check before you decide.

Regards AngeloI love it when you talk DIRTY !
AnswerID: 46263

Follow Up By: Justin - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:58

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:58
I also run them on my race car. I had trouble sourcing them. Apparently braided brake lines do not conform to the ADR's which means they are illegal across all states. They have tried to gain ADR compliance but there is concern about the durability of the line. the outer is braided stainless but the inner is teflon tubing, which isn't all that durable even when protected. I've also found that they are very hard to inspect i.e You may have a hole in the teflon tube but the stainless braid looks fine. The thing I don't get - Why can I run them around a track at a million miles an hour but they're not deemed durable enough every day use?
Cheers,
Justin
FollowupID: 308198

Follow Up By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 22:21

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 22:21
Found the same a few years ago when I wanted to put braided lines on a motorbike, dealer plainy told me the he would supply the item but wouldn't fit it because they were illegal (Qld)

I know some modern road bikes now come standard with braided lines, but they are tube inner/braid sheath/tube outer all moulded together type of thing.

FollowupID: 308274

Reply By: macandjen - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 22:09

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 22:09
Well the saga continues... I went to the place that provided the springs this morning. I was there for 3 hours while they fitted new springs and forked over $40 for the difference in price b/w the originals and the newer heavy duty. Measured it up afterwoards to find I only had another 10 mm at front and rear (total of 35 mm at rear). I then (reasonably I thought) asked what is the go - this is supposed to be a 50 mm lift? Their answer - fit another set of springs after a coiuple of phone calls to King Springs and bandying part numbers around. Incidentally another $40 (total $80 all up)

So they fit the springs and NOW I HAVE A LIFT OF 78MM REAR AND 65 MM FRONT!!!!!!! The !@#$%^&*( car doesnt fit in the garage, the missues has crakced the bleep s, I dont even want to think about insurance so the whole lot is coming off tomorrow and being returned... I will lose about $150 in fitting the new ones and refitting the originals and then I am going to ARB - no more of this organising things myself - it is not worth the dramas. It would be funny if I wasn't so totally p****ed off about the whole bloody fiasco.

I suppose at least some of you will get a laugh about this so it hasn't been a total waste of time. (maybe I will laugh about it ....about twenty years from now!!!
AnswerID: 46416

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 16:06

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 16:06
Been following with interest, hope ARB fixes your problem. I would have demanded a FULL refund from the mechanic.

Someone above posted that Munro makes Pedders shocks - they make the 2wd shocks but Pedders 4WD shocks are made overseas, not sure where. Read alot of post stating that Kings make OME coils so save money and buy Kings coils. You cannot buy a OME spec. coil from Kings. OME have a better range of coils for Nissans.
AnswerID: 46610

Sponsored Links