Hopetoun WA Salmon Fishing in September

Submitted: Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 22:23
ThreadID: 104311 Views:4750 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Am just looking for some beach fishing information in Hopetoun and would appreciate any information such as access and distance from the township? Many thanks !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:11

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:11
G'day Con - Hopetoun is a beaut spot, but I don't think anyone could guarantee good salmon fishing in September down there. The Salmon run is normally Autumn - however, occasionally a "reverse run" has been found to happen in Spring.
That's not to say you won't find Salmon, it's just that you won't find big schools, only the small groups that have settled in a spot, after the "run".

Lots of good coastal 4WD tracks and plenty of good accessible beaches, both East and West of the town, with sections of sealed road for the first few kms each way.
Conditions - Can be rough at times, wind is mostly off the sea, and strong. Prevailing South-Easterlies usually start up in Sept, although they are late this year, because it has been a very wet and cold September so far. A lot of the Southern Coast is suffering from flooding at present - although, being mostly sandy, this isn't major problem. However, you may find track access in some spots blocked by deep pools.

Be aware that strong South-Easterly and Southerly winds can still be bitterly cold at this time of year. Watch for heavy swells causing dangerous intermittent big waves that can sweep you off rocks in an instant. "King Waves Kill", means just that, on the South coast of W.A. Very few fishermen swept off rocks are saved.

Check with the local Rangers to get advice as soon as you get there. Be aware that the W.A. Govt has been stuffing around with spilitting Govt Depts, and confusion reigns supreme.
What used to be CALM (Conservation & Land Management) became DEC several years ago (Dept of Environment and Conservation).

DEC has now been split ( from 1st July 2013) into the Department of Parks and Wildlife and the Department of Environment Regulation.
DPAW is now the responsible agency for Parks Management, and DER is responsible for environmental regulation, approvals and appeals processes, and pollution prevention.

Advice on Dept splitting and areas of responsibility -

http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/

DPAW info below on Fitzgerald River National Park. This is a very good, informative website. Note that park entry fees apply, as well as camping fees at campsites, and some sections of the park are closed permanently.

http://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/park/fitzgerald-river

This following articles sums up the areas, and the fishing style very well, without me needing to type up large amounts of info here;

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/where-to-fish-between-hopetoun-and-two-peoples-bay/story-e6frg12c-1111114418807

http://www.fishingwa.com/species/australian-salmon/

W.A. Salmon recreational limits;

http://www.westernangler.com.au/fishing-info/fish-guide/164-wa-salmon

Salmon are generally pretty poor eating, although the smaller fish are O.K. They are certainly a terrific fighter and an exciting fish to catch. I can recall accidentally hooking a salmon off Dunsborough many years ago when trolling for herring from a mates speedboat, after we'd had enough of water-skiing. It put up a display worthy of a big sailfish!
AnswerID: 518118

Reply By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 13:33

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 13:33
hi con
many moons ago hopetoun had it's own salmon canning factory and the beaches east of the town where alive with tonnes of salmon on a regular basis
until the greedy and thoughtless factory fishermen decided it would be a lot easier to get there net boats in and out the water at the twelve mile beach
where most of he their hauls were caught and this would allow them to catch and process more fish
so they decided to blow a gap in the 12 mile reef with gelignite the explosion sent huge shock waves through the water and from that day forward the salmon stopped coming and the factory had to shut through lack of fish stocks
my grandad /mother and uncle used to tell me about the huge schools of fish that frequented the area but its never been the same since my mother is 98 next week and still talks about that error
if you read the history of hopetown it will mention how they had a canning factory but I don't think it tells you the real reason why it shut they use other excuses like the depression etc
another case of humans interfering with nature because they think they know better
cheers
AnswerID: 518128

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 18:50

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 18:50
I too have heard the same story of the Hopetoun fish canning factory. How they blew up the reef to make it easier and then the fish stopped coming.

I have fished at the 12 mile many times but only occasionally seen some good catches but never the tons they used to drag ashore.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 797884

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 10:15

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 10:15
Hi Con.
You will find salmon year round at hopetown with a lot of smaller fish about in spring but also lots of resident bigger ones. Fish the reef gaps and gutters inside the reef to the east of town and look for gutters to the west of town. Sharks including gummies and whalers are a good chance at night including some big ones if you are into catch and release and can be bothered spending up to an hour on one fish. Big sharks with an interdorsal fin mearurement greater than 70cms must be released by rec fishers in WA. Mulloway are also a chance also in spring right through to the hot months. I fish mainly at night to try an avoid salmon than can be annoying at times. Best times are with a rising tide more so if this occurs just after dark. If you want to walk try in front of the park, you may be suprised. Have a look at my profile i think their may be a few pics on their. Best way to pick a spot is to spend a day looking first and if dead bait is slow try live herring.

Cheers graeme.
AnswerID: 518177

Sponsored Links