Cooper Tires

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 07:42
ThreadID: 104329 Views:3297 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the latest Cooper tires. I have had 6 Cooper ST's that I have rotated every 10,000 Km and have got 100,000 Km and still have some good tread left. But I am looking to replace them in the foreseeable future. I was speaking to a friend and he told me that a mate of his had blown two tires in and around Alice Springs and when he went to the Cooper Dealer in Alice, he was told that they had changed to rubber compound some 3 months ago and there was a problem with blow outs.

So has anyone else had this experience as new tires is a big investment and if this is true I will look for a different brand.

Regards,

Iceman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 08:26

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 08:26
This seems to be a more and more reported problem with Coopers across various forums but I think that the amount of tyres that are out there I doubt if they are any worse than the other top brands. Quite a few RV's look to be going over to Mickey Thompson tyres and some even claim they are better than Coopers..

Cheers
Merv
AnswerID: 518167

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:57

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:57
hi merv
coopers previous old compound had a problem with the casings separating from the tread
now they have made a new compound that blows out so whats changed
BFG's for me always reliable and are made by michelin
mickey Thomson tyres have always been made by the coopers factory in usa
and coopers tyres was sold to 'apollo' tyres in india earlier this year
so I doubt that the rubber compound is any different from one to the other
your just buying a name brand with a different tread pattern
its another pull the wool over sales gimmick
cheers
FollowupID: 798010

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:16

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:16
Once bitten, twice shy, here!
AnswerID: 518170

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:18

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:18
For starters I love Toyo Open Country M/T's and think they are one of the best allround 4x4 tyres available....... quiet, handle well (on/off/wet/dry) and are mega strong in construction, but they don't do a tyre size to suit out 200 series in Australia.

We needed some tyres and one of a few that sounded good was Mickey Thompson MTZ.... all the magazines rave about them and they have a big following amongst the 4x4 world....... after using them for about 20,000k I can to the conclusion 1)advertising dollars speak louder than fact 2) these 4x4ers how love and rave about them know very little about a good 4x4 tyre....... they were a disgusting tyre verging on the edge of being dangerous, wear was poor and the noise was unbearable.

After the 20,000k stint with the below average MTZ's I went looking for another tyre and thought of going to an aggressive A/T over a M/T....... liked the look of the Cooper ST MAXX and read some good reviews, they seemed to tick all the right boxes.

Have a friend who manages mining vehicle outfitters company here in SA and he has a lot of 4x4 product experience including a long stint at a leading 4x4 accessory retailer/manufacturer.

He has a 200 series which has the ST Maxx's fitted and we borrowed that one day to see what the were like, we were very surprised in the way they performed and the low road noise was a high priority for us.

We got a set of S/T MAXX's fitted and the following week did a 3000k trip over the the Gawler Ranges here in SA..... we had a good mix of all types of road conditions including a 80km drive on 4 inch wet muddy slippery clay.

We are trying something different with theses tyres but not buckling to the trend of lowering tyre pressure for most of our driving (unless in soft sand or very rocky outcrops), we are running about 42psi in the front and 44 in the rear (sure I'm going to get some comments).

After having these tyres for nearly 20,000k with 14,000k being off road I am really happy with them, still very quiet for an aggresive A/T, handle all terrain very well and with ease, are wearing even and have no signs of chipping or lug damage.

How many K's I will get out of them is not a big concern but I would expect 60-80,000k.

AS a very good all round tyre I would rate them highly and much better that the MTZ's even in mud.

As for the above comment about more Copper sold than any other brand vs damage.... I would agree, even years ago when we used Cooper ST/C's the general conception was they are were no good, we had a good run out of the ST/C but they had very soft side walls leading to damage.

With the ST Maxx's you will be very happy.
AnswerID: 518171

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 13:28

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 13:28
Interesting on your comments regarding the Mickey Thompson MTZ's
I am on my third set and are very happy with them in all conditions but do not wear well which I am prepared to accept. I tried a set of Toyo Open Country M/T as my prevous set 12 months ago and they were fine but did not think they performed any better than the MTZ's. They possibly were going to wear better but I sold that vehicle when they were only 25k old so not sure.

Funny how we all seem to have different experiences / perceptions with tyres
FollowupID: 797931

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 16:51

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 16:51
Olcoolone

You mentioned the noise factor with the MTZ's.

I've had mine for 32k's now and I expect to get over 80k as there is quite a lot of tread still left.

However, I have developed what sounds like a 'road noise' at low speed going around corners or roundabouts.

Is that the type of noise you experienced? Other than that I find the a good tyre, although I must admit they see little off road work.
FollowupID: 798099

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:03

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:03
Hi,

I have the Cooper S/T Maxx & am happy with them. I've done almost 40,000kms on them, approx. 1/3rd off road, with no problems and so far they look in good condition.
Olcoolone mentions above about running them at what looks like fairly high tyre pressures but I think I agree with him. I've been running mine recently at 37 - 38 but think they need a bit more.

AnswerID: 518179

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 13:17

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 13:17
hi vicki w
40,000km's is next to nothing
its a bit like people on here that say they've had a good run out of their vehicle then say they'd done 40th km's that's only 25,000 miles in old terms imho just near to run-in
i would be very concerned if I had trouble with any brand structually or mechanically no matter what tyre's or any brand of vehiclesunder at least 70th k's for tyre's and at least 100th km's for a vehicle cheers
FollowupID: 798011

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 13:28

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 13:28
jeez mazcan, keep your pants on. I was providing kms for perspective. Besides, some people have reported problems with chipping on the old ST's relatively early.

And when I say no problems I mean no punctures etc.
FollowupID: 798012

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 13:46

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 13:46
One thing is for sure, Cooper and Micky Thompson, spend a lot of money on advertising and they throw a hell of a lot of tyres at 4wd personalities.

If you read the magazines and watch the videos, you'd think that every man and his dog was running one or the other.

If you get out there and see what real people have on the vehicles you will see a very wide range of tyres.
In mud terrain around here the biggest following by far is the BFG KM2.

and there are plenty running a variety of other brands. like Maxxis.

Now all these compaines that have some sort of...um...problem... with a product will sprout the old chestnut....we have no more problems than any other brand.....OH BS.

Anybody see post after post on various forums with BFG having problems with premature failure.

Even the Ching Shin rubber company..makers of Maxxis, know enough about making tyres not to stuff up a rubber compound...AND let it go to market.

But Cheng Shin have been making tyres quite a while and actually wholly own factores and research facilities.

Then you have the issue that neither Cooper nor Micky Thompson make a full range of tyres in sizes.,,or at least we don't see them.

Sorry not impressed by Cooper / Micky Thompson / Dick Cepek / Kenda ...why does the one company need to sell tyres under so many names in the same market

Check around, look at the price V quality v service that is available.

cheers
AnswerID: 518191

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 13:49

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 13:49
OH...we don't see other tyre manufacturers bleating about cheap grey import tyres of their brand that are "inferior" to those imported via official channels.

Fellas they are still your tyres and your company made them.

Oh please.

cheers
FollowupID: 797934

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 18:02

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 18:02
The reason they are different names is because they used to be separate companies but were bought up by a parent company. Nothing unusual about that, you will find many other tyre manufacturers doing the same
FollowupID: 797948

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 18:21

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 18:21
I know they where different companies.....the parent company has baught any number of companies.

Obviously the parent brand was not sufficently respected otherwise you would not devalue it by competing with ya self.

It is very common for a single company to use different brands in different markets or in different market sectors

BUT until relativly recently in the greater scheme of things.....none of the Cooper brands had a presence in Australia.

SO..why market at least 3 different brands, in the same price range and the very same sector in the same country.

Companies like this want you to have 3 choices all theirs.

If I'm going to buy a chinese tyre I rather not buy it from an American at an inflated price.

cheers
FollowupID: 797950

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:02

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:02
I don't see it as competing against themselves I see it as increasing market share, a common corporate tactic
Arn't Coopers etc still made in the US not China?
FollowupID: 797952

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:34

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:34
From what I understand the only company still making tyres in the US is Goodyear.

cheers
FollowupID: 797956

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 20:43

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 20:43
Toyo, Cooper, Mickey Thompson, Michelin, Bridgestone, Hankook, Firestone, Titan, Continental, Dunlop, General, Kelly, Nitro and the list goes on all have plants in the USA.

No there is no Tyre manufacturing plants in the USA
FollowupID: 797962

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:25

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:25
That should be clarified Goodyear is the only major US company making tyres in the US.

Cooper, Micky thompson, Dick Cepec, Avon, Kenda, kumho, Dean, Mastercraft & Starfire brands either owned or partly owned by Apollo tyres of India..along with a number of house brands.

The french company Michelin ( the largest tyre company in the world) have owned BF Goodrich for over 20 years and also owns Uniroyal in the US.

The Japanese company Bridgestone (the second biggest tyre company in the world) owns, Firestone , Uniroyal and Bandag in Australia

The German company Contenental owns General.

Kelly Springfield have been owned by Goodyear since 1935.
Titan manufacture under licence to Goodyear
Goodyear also own Dunlop

And the list goes on.

All of these companies have "tyre plants" in various contries.....where the actual materials and components of those tyres are made and how much of the manufacturing process is done where is anybodies guess.

Just because there are tyre plants in the US and its a US brand of tyre, its no guarantee that the tyre is made in the US.

Especially one sold in Australia.

cheers
FollowupID: 798059

Reply By: philw - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 14:37

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 14:37
Aren't Coopers Tires made in India now?
That might explain a few things.
AnswerID: 518193

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 15:11

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 15:11
Owned by an Indian Company, purchased only a few months ago.
FollowupID: 797942

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:41

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:41
from wikipedia.

On June 12, 2013 a deal was finalized in which Apollo Tyres of India will buy Cooper for $2.5 Billion. This move will make Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. the only major US tire manufacturer.

I think you will find they manufacture in a couple of countries including china.

cheers
FollowupID: 797957

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 18:59

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 18:59
I have just bought a BFG KM2 and it says on the side...made in USA..

So, does that mean its made there or are you saying it could be made somewhere else ??
FollowupID: 798049

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 20:32

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 20:32
Hi Iceman,

I have just replaced the ST Maxx on my cruiser with the same again.

I, unfortunately, probably do most of my driving on bitumen, but Strezleki, Oodnadatta and Birdsville track were all done in the first month of use, as well as other off road trips.

They travelled 90,000klms trouble free in just under two years and are now adorning my camping trailer, with still legal tread depth.

I was always a fan and user of BFG at's, until I had a set delaminate a few years ago and was told that if you run them under inflated there is no warranty. Great for an off road tyre!

Not saying they are the best choice, but I am happy with their performance on my vehicle.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518255

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:57

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:57
I have been a member on this site since about 2004 and was a visitor here long before that.

For as long as I can remember there have been, at times heated, debates about tyres. Back in 1999 I had a poor experience with Coopers. Following that I ran about 4 or 5 sets of BFG All Terrains and was always happy. Except the last set which scrubbed out and started to shed tread blocks in less than 27,000km. I would have persisted with BFGls but the dealer abused me when I showed him the dodgy set.

Following that episode I reluctantly tried another set of Coopers. That was in 2004 and I have not bought another brand since. I ran ST/Cs all that time and never had what I would call a problem. I did have a couple of punctures but picking up nails etc is not a fault of the tyre. I had similar issues with BFGs.

I have just put a set of ST Maxx on the car. Its too early to tell if they are any good or not but I have no reason to doubt them. I have a good friend who is on his second set and loves them.

What I don't understand is the passion that seems to surround the argument. Why do people feel the need to bag one brand or the other?

Sure tyres are a big investment but I spend my money not yours so why does this subject more than any other generate so much passion?

So Iceman I reckon you should by the ST Maxx but if you try something else thats cool. Let us know how they go.

Duncs
AnswerID: 518260

Reply By: Iceman - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:08

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:08
Well I would like to thank everyone for their input into my thread on Cooper Tyres. I think at the end of the day it does come down to personal choice. I think I will follow Duncs advice and will be getting a set of ST Maxx and I'm sure they will be as every bit as good as my ST's I have on my Patrol now.

Once again thank you all for your informative inputs. This is a good site for answering queries and getting advice.

Regards,

Iceman
AnswerID: 518327

Reply By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 18:02

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 18:02
Hi Iceman,
put 2 new A/T 3 on 4 mths ago.I am very impressed with the noise factor,they are very quite and the tread pattern is great.Handles well,only have them on the front at the moment.should get another 4 out of the old st's.Haven't done any serious off rd yet.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518381

Sponsored Links