Will a Coromal hack the tracks??

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:22
ThreadID: 104332 Views:7106 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip around Australia starting in February with our 3 kids. Right now we have a coromal pioneer silhouette camper trailer off road but I would really like a caravan with triple bunks. I've been looking at a new coromal element with the triple bunks, off road version but I'm unsure if it is tough enough to go where we want to go. Can anyone tell me how it would go on corrugated tracks and such? Or should we really be looking at something else. We aren't going to be doing any Gall brothers style stuff but want to go off the beaten track.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: moamajohn - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 15:37

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 15:37
Well tribe of 5.Just remember most off road units mainly refer to the chassis and suspensions.Invariably the vans are all built the same after that.
it all gets down to 2 things in the long run.Speed and tyre pressure.No matter what,... when you think any patch of road is rough slow down !!!!! If you travel a lot of corrugations you must also drop tyre pressure and that means your tow tug too !
You will encounter the old nomad on the road with a 25yr old viscount on roader that has been everywhere.How does he do it ? Easy ! ... he is in no hurry and drives to suit conditions.
If you buy a new unit make sure you do a test trip first .All the best John.
AnswerID: 518195

Reply By: Albany Nomads - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 23:21

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 23:21
Coromal are a good make of Van/camper...now I'm not saying they are the Humvey of Vans and Campers but they are still a good make. Having talked to many folks that have tackled tracks that I'm surprised they have dragged their not so "OFF ROAD" machines down they all say the same thing, "Slow down..drive to the conditions "whats the hurry"....Lower the tyre pressures..pre trip preperation...and carry a few spares"..
Kind regards John /Albany Nomads
AnswerID: 518222

Reply By: 410 - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:47

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:47
Hi T o 5
We have just completed a 6mth trip around Australia with our 3 children in a van. You can see plenty of Aus without going offroad, but if you want to explore different areas you can park the van and do day trips. There is a big difference travelling in a van with a family compared to a camping trailer. If you would like more info, reply to this post with your email. We are only happy to share our experience and advice.
Regards
Richard
AnswerID: 518225

Follow Up By: tribe-of-5 - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:14

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:14
I am very interested in any and all info!
rksaunders007@gmail.com
FollowupID: 798056

Reply By: "Not So Grey Nomads" - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:44

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:44
Keep your silhouette mate. We have a pioneer 391 xc. Just took it all the way to the tip of cape york including a fair bit of the old tele track... also the savannah way from mataranka to boroloola... hasnt missed a beat... we love it...
just a pity that coromals after sales service is a joke....
AnswerID: 518258

Follow Up By: tribe-of-5 - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:54

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:54
We wouldn't mind keeping if it weren't for storage issues, we really need more room as we don't have much space in our tow vehicle
FollowupID: 798057

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:13

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:13
Hi Tribe of five

Although we have not owned a Coromal, I will just give the advice to read the fine print carefully. As said, you can do day trips, but you would not be wise to plan going through routes such as the Gibb River Road, Tanami Road, Savannah Way or Outback Way (the Plenty Highway and Great Central Road). Hundreds of kilometres of relentless corrugations does do damage.

With a suitable model you could be expected to go down short tracks to campgrounds or tourist features taking due caution. Rural area maintained unsealed roads should be good for any rig - they are made and maintained for normal cars and dust may be the only issue.

When we were looking at a caravan we could go outback with, also no real four wheel drive tracks or extreme stuff, the then off road Coromals, the Pioneer Range, had this disclaimer in their brochures

"The Coromal Pioneer range is designed to travel on and off sealed roads. They are not however designed to travel over all terrain. Travelling over rough, rocky jagged, pinnacled and potholed surfaces may amount to misuse and driver neglect. Any damage incurred as a result is excluded from the manufacturer’s warranty. Commonsense should prevail in these conditions."

Thousands of caravanners travel Australia sticking to sealed roads, and children usually love camping out under canvas for excursions longer than a day trip.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518285

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:32

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:32
We have a Coromal Seca 505 Pioneer XC which has travelled the GRR & also recently the Savannah Way from Normanton to Mataranka, including a side trip to Lorella Springs.
Normally we would have taken our Vista Crossover but due to circumstances we had to take the Coromal, to be honest it surprised us with it's capability.
FollowupID: 798074

Reply By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 16:01

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 16:01
I have recently just travelled the Tanami from Bililuna to Alice Springs, and then the Plenty from Alice Springs to Tobermorey (QLD border), and the O"Donahue from Tobermorey to Boulia.

Now I'll admit just in my 4WD and not towing BUT I can say this,

The Tanami was like a 4 lane highway, almost zero corrugations...a few yes, but very good otherwise.

The Plenty was exactly the same, a few corrugations BUT seriously not an issue at all.

The O'Donahue (QLD border to Boulia) didn't have many corrugations BUT did have a heap of sharp stones, and 2 of my travelling buddies lost tyres.

I think taken easy, and with the right tyre pressures, all those roads would be fine.

Sorry can't comment on GRR, but I would avoid that with my "semi off road" Van regardless.
AnswerID: 518301

Reply By: Travelling Family Circus - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 21:44

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 21:44
We are a family of 5 and have just spent 4 months doing the NT and are heading home down the West Coast. We have a Coromal silhouette 451 and have just gone over the Gibb River up to Kalumbaru and then onto Honeymoon Bay and our van did not miss a beat. We love our . With a smaller van you can go to a lot more place. But because it is getting hot up here we have air conditioning envy
AnswerID: 518324

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 05:23

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 05:23
Hi guys.
We have done the cape leveque road a couple of times, murchison ,kennedy ranges ,rios rail line at tom price, mill stream etc all in our coromal 401 rear door pop top and will do lots more .The gibb would be no problem just drive to conditions and reduce tyre pressures.
cheers Graeme
AnswerID: 518338

Reply By: tribe-of-5 - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 06:25

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 06:25
Thanks so much for all the responses. I have just started looking at new caravans seriously and have found the Coromal, Windsor, Millard and Jayco so far. These all seem to be pretty much the same (correct me if I'm wrong). I like the jayco the best. I have also started inquiring about some other brands such as the kedron and trackmaster but I think these are going to be way out of our price range!
AnswerID: 518340

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:50

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:50
Maybe think late model second hand, let somebody else take the initial depreciation hit!

FollowupID: 798147

Sponsored Links