iPad map app

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:27
ThreadID: 104336 Views:2110 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Need help
Looking at a i pad app for maps Hema or Mud maps any thought on what one is the best for off road tracks .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 21:26

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 21:26
Kerry,

We've got the Hema maps and find it good for doing quick checks of places mentioned on EO, or just to browse, and think about travels somewhere.

Have tried the GPS once, recording a short trip, and found it a bit inaccurate, as far as speed goes, and the track did a short cut, when we had to follow the highway. Didn't have it in a mount, so this might explain the "mistakes" with speed & track.

Probably worth the money, and you're not wearing out paper maps, which are good for planning at home. Haven't tried the Mudmaps.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518215

Reply By: gelatr - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 22:17

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 22:17
I have Hema maps on my iPad and find them good. I've only tried them on some local 4wd tracks so far and they've been pretty accurate. I haven't yet used them on any extended treks. They are great for dreaming about and planning trips. I tend to use the 1:250000 topo for most of my local exploring. The best endorsement would be that I've found some local tracks to explore that I wasn't aware of before buying the Hema iPad maps. I can't comment on Mud Maps.
AnswerID: 518217

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 22:21

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 22:21
I have both Memory Map with the Hema map set and Mud Maps. I think Hema wins hands down. I'm told that Mud Maps have updated and changed since I bought it....there was only one way it could go because I thought it was very ordinary.
I like the Memory Map planning program for PC. It's free and you upload the track to your ipad or android device and follow it. I haven't used the actual Hema app so can't comment but I'm told it is Memory Map rebranded. I wonder if it can use non Hema maps because Memory Map can.
AnswerID: 518218

Reply By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 00:29

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 00:29
Another one for Hema, have used it for two years now Cape York and Canning Stock Route.

GPS perfectly accurate, great for planning , tracking and not getting lost!!
AnswerID: 518271

Sponsored Links