LC100 IFS steering rack free play

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31
ThreadID: 104359 Views:2347 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Chasing some details on how much if any free play should be on a steering rack on an IFS LC100 T/D.I have observed 3 to 4 mm of movement with one wheel jacked off the ground, I would have thought there should be none?

Is there any adjustment to take this out or is it a replace the complete rack?

Cheers JB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:04

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:04
hi brooka
what you have is more likely to be steering knuckle wear as you only had 1 wheel off the ground watch the knuckle while you move the wheel back and forth the movement should show at the knuckles on the track rod also check idler arm for wear if it has one long time since I owned an LC
steering boxes usually have an adjusting stud it normly has a lock nut on it to adjust pitman end play
the stud is on the box opposite end to the pitman arm
depending which side you jacked and I don't know if lc's have an idler arm as well but check all ball joints for play as depending vehiclestotal km's they might all be worn a bit hope this helps a bit
cheers
AnswerID: 518294

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 14:15

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 14:15
If your 100 has rack and pinion steering there should be no play between the rack and the wheel.
Usually the wear is in the knuckle on the tie rod between the rack and the wheel or the tie rod end.
On most cars I am familiar with this is sold as a complete assembly and is a remove and replace exercise, although you have to realign.
If you find that the rack moves up and down in the rack housing you have a bigger problem and this calls for a reco assembly.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 518299

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 16:24

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 16:24
Brooka27
I know you have detected some freeplay but is it when you turn the steering wheel and it is 3 0r 4mm at the steering wheel rim?
Or is it you trying to move the tyre/wheel and feel some movement while trying to turn it inwards and outwards.

If one wheel is off the deck and it is because you have jacked the chassis upwards then that wheel is fully down on suspension and some movement will be felt grabbing the wheel when in that condition.
You don't have an idler arm so that isn't possible, but ball joint or end of rack ball is likely depending on Km's and usage.
If you describe what you are doing to feel the slack and what position the suspension is in when trying, it will help the remote diagnosis.

The rack freeplay can be detected by engine off, both wheels on ground, trying to very gently turn the steering wheel, to and fro, and feeling the movement before the rack and tie rods actually move. That movement can be adjusted by the adjustment in the pinion housing.

Ross M
AnswerID: 518302

Follow Up By: Brooka27 - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 16:40

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 16:40
Gday Ross, I had the LHS wheel off the ground and the RHS wheel on the ground. I rocked the LHS tyre left to right which was roughly 3 to 4 mm in distance. The LHS steering arm was moving back and forth into the steering rack housing the 3 to 4 mm. It did not appear to be the knuckle joint at the hub section that had the movement, it all seem to be behind the rubber boot on the steering rack.
There was also a small amount of oil leaking behind the boot.
The RHS tyre did not move, I did not check the steering wheel!

Cheers JB
FollowupID: 798096

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 17:20

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 17:20
There is another pivot (usually) under the rubber boot which allows for suspension up and down movement and that is often the one which wears.
Remove the boot and then try to move the wheel while holding the tie rod and steering rack end or give it an eyeball. If there is 3-4 MM you will sure see it.
Although it is hard to describe, I usually place my hand over both sides of the knuckle and you can feel the relative movement.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 518303

Sponsored Links