Tyre tools

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 00:15
ThreadID: 10440 Views:4021 Replies:13 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
With all the experience in this forum , I was wondering what tools you guys use for removing tyre off rims in the bush . Is it tyre pliers or the other brand that advertised in 4x4 monthly ?Venus Bay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 02:05

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 02:05
it's Tyrepliers for me but fortunately have only had the obligatory practice run in the shed.
I'm pretty well acquainted with plugs though !Cheers 'n' Beers
AnswerID: 46271

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 13:32

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 13:32
I should add that there was no other reason for my selection than that they were the ones available and would have quite happily purchased the R&R Beadbreaker style.Cheers 'n' Beers
FollowupID: 308210

Reply By: Rob - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 04:21

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 04:21
I have used the "Beadbreaker" about 3 times in the bush and I am happy with it so far. It's not as easy as they make it look on the video, but, like anything I think it will get easier the more times you use it. Would recomend it to anyone. I have not used the "Tyrepliers" so I can't comment on them.

Robbo.
AnswerID: 46278

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:49

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:49
The bloke on the video has done it 20104923094802394809 times thats why it appears easy!
FollowupID: 308176

Follow Up By: shortgq - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 14:44

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 14:44
On a tyre that has been levered on and off 20104923094802394809 times, as opposed to being on your car for some time without removal.
FollowupID: 308215

Reply By: Gajm - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:55

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:55
I have split rims on the GQ so i just use a "Melco" bar, mash hammer, and a tyre lever, takes about 10-15 mins to take a tyre off and put back on, and thats in no hurry, just very easy to do, which is one reason i went with the split rims

Glenn
AnswerID: 46287

Reply By: Member - Nick K (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:39

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:39
Eric,

you have asked your brother in law. A post on the Prado group recommends using your jack to break the bead. That is place the bottom of the jck on th tyre. Turn you tow bar around and when you pump up the jack make sure it meets the tow ball. As you pump the bead will break. It sounds a lot easier then the tyrepliers bead breaker.
AnswerID: 46308

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:12

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:12
Its not a lot easier than the tyrepliers...With the jacking type of system you mention or even driving over the tyre to break the bead (which I have also done in the past), you are relying on ver precise positioning of the jack base (or tyre) and IMHO it slips most of the time. The tyrepliers are precise and quick, so's the R&R beadbreaker, both systems are streets ahead of jacking or driving I reckonIf you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 308580

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:16

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:16
Hi Eric....... I have both Tyrepliers and Beadbreaker..... Beadbreaker is easier....___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Member - Steve & Paula - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:21

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:21
Eric,

In the end I chose the R & R Beadbreaker. I actually found it as easy as the video and I haven't had a lot of experience in the area!

The main reason I chose the R & R model was the assistance it gives when replacing the tyre on the rim. This saves a great deal of effort and possible damage to the bead of the tyre.

My experience has only been positive with regard to the product. I've used it once in anger and had to remove a shredded tyre from the rim on the Great Central Road. I did it in the cool of the evening and replaced it with a new casing without too much difficulty. (I actually didn't need to as I still had another spare but I wanted to give it a go so that I could be confident in using it if I really had to!)

Hope this helps.

SteveIt's the journey not the destination that counts!
AnswerID: 46313

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 14:00

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 14:00
I now use the jack, as it doesn't scratch the rim, and is easier to work.
jack bead breaker

http://www.lcool.org/technical/90_series/bead_breaker/bead_breaker.html

AnswerID: 46327

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 15:26

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 15:26
Eric

I have Tyre Pliers, and thought that I'd better get some practice at home on the carport floor Vs heat/Flies/dust/105 degrees in the water bag/on the side of the road.

After losing about 47.3 litres of sweat, after 1.5 hours, I had only the rear seal broken. The front of the tyre could not be shifted. The tyres were 10 plies, with quite a stiff, upright wall(Toyo). Had to call it quits as I was damaging the bead with the Tyre pliers jaws.

Finally that night got onto the net & asked for help.

The replies all said use the Hi Lift. I did, by putting the tongue under the Hayman Reese towbar tongue locator. Took about 2 minutes - dead easy.

The solution of Phil G.'s, in replies, is a very similar approach. At least his way you don't have to carry a highlift. My GU has no access for a highlift jack on the front end. I have not used the highlift for 15 years - since I got a Bull bag. I also regularly use a 8 t bottle jack , 7 ply base plate, & block of hardwood as a spacer.

Cheers

Rick

Rick ( S.A.) - ' All things considered there are only two kinds of men in the world - those who stay at home and those who do not '
AnswerID: 46345

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 17:29

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 17:29
I've found the Tyre Pliers quick & easy rarely taking more than 5 or 6 minutes to pop a tyre off the rim. For those tyres rusted on, a spray of CRC around the rim then left for a few minutes makes all the difference. Craig.......................
AnswerID: 46373

Reply By: Member - KG (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 19:03

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 19:03
i have a set of tyrepliers in my recovery kit and i dread the day i have to use them...

i did the standard test in the backyard and found i could break the bead easily enough...

HOWEVER...

after about 45 minutes, 10 litres of sweat, several scraped knuckles, several threats on the the dogs life, 4 broken pot plants from me throwing the tyre levers into the garden bed, and multiple four letter words i got the first side of the tyre off the rim (in the process i completely mutilated the bead - fortunately the tyre was stuffed already)

at this point i went inside and read the destructions again - built up some more motivation and went out to try and get the tyre completely off the rim..... after about an hour of anger i gave up, put the tyrepliers in the recovery kit and hoped like hell i never have to use them again.

this experience is why i still have a set of split rims in the garage :)

cheers,

KG
Are you stoned or stupid?
AnswerID: 46388

Reply By: maddog - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 19:24

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 19:24
I bought the R+R Beadbreaker at the Melbourne 4x4 show last year. I've never used them in the bush but did the obligatory test in the driveway. I found after watching the video it took me about 30 minutes to completely remove the casing from the rim and then about another 15 minutes to replace it. All of that without breaking a sweat or any four letter words.

Cheers, Dave.
AnswerID: 46392

Reply By: Eric.- Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 23:56

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 23:56
I think the R+R beadbraker wins hands down , wheres the best place to get them ?Venus Bay
AnswerID: 46423

Reply By: David O - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 19:18

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 19:18
Call me old fashioned but I run over the tyre with my car to break the bead, as it is much faster than stuffing around with the jack, literally takes me about 1 minute total to break the bead by running over it and standing on the tyre.

I use two tyre levers, a double ended one and a single ended one plus a 2 kg hammer to remove the tyre from the rim, not sure how long it takes me, but I've never been in such a rush that I needed to change a tyre in a hurry. I take my time maybe 10 minutes maybe 15 to remove the tyre I don't know. Why would I would want to do it faster than that? If I need more than 2 spares, I am on a long trip and I planned the thing so as to have spare time anyway, and the $ I saved not buying some fangeled device bought more beer. :-)

AnswerID: 46494

Follow Up By: Member - phillip- Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:31

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:31
agree with you David, the best bead breaker is the vehicle itself. I am mystified as to why trekkers would want to carry a device that is totally redundant in an off-road situation - the effort and time used in implementing these devices could be otherwise spent quaffing a coldie (after the job is finished) bought with the money saved by not buying the device in the first instance. In Latte-speak, a win-win situation in the extreme!!!!!
FollowupID: 308417

Sponsored Links