Resetting SRS ECU Options

Submitted: Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 13:25
ThreadID: 104446 Views:2953 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, i am the proud owner of a 2000 Mitsubishi Challenger; i have an issue with a SRS light that does not go out; i have done the electrical checks on system (short/open circuit and continuity) as per OEM service manual, everything seems OK. Can you manually reset the SRS ECU on these 4WDs? Or do i have to pay between $80 - $130 at dealer for 5 minutes work. Any assistance/advice would be appreciated. Thanks Yochanan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Erad - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 16:04

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 16:04
No specific experience with a Challenger, but I had similar problems with my NL Pajero. I paid for a man to use his gizmo and he found that there was a fault with the SRS system. He eventually found that there was no power getting to the SRS ECU, and found the blown fuse. He replaced it, SRS light went out so I paid him his money and drove home. By the time I got home, the SRS light was on again! Blown fuse again...

The fuse which had blown was the reversing light circuit. The SRS system takes its power from this circuit (I guess that you are unlikely to be in reverse when you hit something hard enough to trigger the airbags going forwards). I had had problems with the reversing light for years, and had rigged up a system to bypass the crook switch, but I decided to fix it properly this time, and eventually found the switch. I unplugged the connector to the switch, put in a new fuse and the ABS system restored itself (no codes to reset etc).

I bought a new switch and fitted it - no further problems. Hope this helps with your Challenger.

AnswerID: 518645

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 13:29

Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 13:29
Yeap $130 seems a bit steep for someone doing 5 minutes of work using a $10,000 scan tool and having $20,000 worth of training...... Oh and the $1000 yearly software upgrade.

BTW if we have to pull one of our techs of a job for 5 minute work it usually equates to another 20 minutes lost.
AnswerID: 518804

Sponsored Links