Dmax 2012 Suspension

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:07
ThreadID: 104507 Views:7579 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Morning .
Just looking for some info.
Looking at putting a 2 inch lift kit with heavy duty suspension .
I am looking at old man emu at the moment .
Any one got info on why i should not go that way ?
Or have better ideas on what to use ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 10:21

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 10:21
OME suspension is good quality and a great starting point, there are som many suspension kit manufactures/sellers around it's not funny.

Many don't like OME mostly due to the "tall poppy syndrome", but most have very little evidence to back their claims of why they don't like them....... just that it's ARB.

Why someone has chosen a specific suspension brand is no different to why one chooses a Nissan over a Toyota over BRAND X of a Waeco over a Engle over BRAND X........ this goes on for many products and brands.

We have used OME over the years and have had a good run with no problems (disclaimer:- Any brand made by machine or man can have a failure, it doesn't mean everything from that brand will fail).
AnswerID: 518856

Reply By: Member - garytee - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 13:38

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 13:38
Contact Kieron at Bushskinz.
Very knowledgable and extremely pleasant to deal with.
AnswerID: 518858

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 14:15

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 14:15
G'day Kym
ARB will only do around 30mm on the front to work within the limitations of the suspension design.Iit can be made to be more but They have determined their amount is good all round.
You didn't say if it is an auto or manual.
Auto one piece tailshaft. manual two piece with centre bearing.

If auto and lifted the 2012 Dmax has been known to not have very much slide yoke engagement in the back of the gearbox. With a lift it may be even less. Some are loose from new and flop around a bit and lifting makes it worse.
A few people have lengthened the tailshaft to restore engagement or added a rear flange spacer.

If manual the drop of the rear axle will increase both the centre bearing uni angle and the rear uni angle.
If the increase remains unaddressed you will very likely have vibes and centre bearing shudder induced by the lift.
Nearly all fitting agents of various branded "Lift Kits" don't seem to check this and take corrective action. Sometimes the form/shape of the spring makes it worse.

Usually, the result is a lift which causes some issues or it is stressing components with no noticeable vibe or shudder but it is still happening, you just can't feel it.
If it is done well then ARB gear will serve you well, a number of BT50 owners have had problems where the the vehicle should not have been allowed to leave the workshop until it was correct in the first place.
Instead, the owners have had to play months of catch up trying to get to the company to make it all correct.

Many times they claim to have to get engineers and approvals and all sorts of excuses.
That is all garbage and if all necessary components are supplied in the kit it should be fitted and success will be had first time round IF the fitter is competent.

Just make sure you know what the company will be prepared to immediately do for you in the event of it not being quite right. Also ask is the fitter a competent person.
Many companies use TOOL men who aren't aware of the various changes happening and don't know how to even recognize a potential problem.

This is just to make sure YOU don't get stung.
AnswerID: 518859

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 19:10

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 19:10
Hi Ross, we just bought a new 2013 Manual Space Cab D-Max and will be altering the suspension sometime soon with a modest lift but possibly more heavy duty shocks/springs. We are having a slide on Aluminium body built for the Ute tray which will be fitted to the vehicle for roughly 4 months per year, with extra fuel, water, second spare, fridge, camping gear, roof top tent etc. For the rest of the year it will be a Ute with just the Aluminium tray on it, so trying to find one suitable suspension may be a big ask as the difference between camping mode and Ute run-around mode will be around 450 Kgs may be a bit more. First serious trip will be next year ( Simpson, CSR, ABH, and a few other notoriously corrugated tracks) So I'd be interested in hearing your opinion/recommendation for our situation, and also what else develops in this thread. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 798806

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 19:28

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 19:28
Kanga
I'm not an expert on sand or the Simpson but it would be ideal to travel as light as you can on such a trip.

Some spring offerings have the option of engaging a second spring, usually positioned uppermost in the pack and this transfers it's lift to the main pack via a rolling link at both front and rear of the leaves.
This will give softer ride when lightly loaded and the upper can be used when a heavier load is applied and carried.

Not sure of the name or the ratings. Someone will know and may help more.
Probably Bilstein or Koni shocks will give the best performance for the longest time but there are adjustable shocks available for tuning to the load carried.

Do you still have the Tvan?

Cheers
Ross M
FollowupID: 798808

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 22:51

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 22:51
G'day Ross, I won't be rushing into getting a suspension upgrade, I really want to do some homework first, ( we don't want something really stiff and uncomfortable for 70% of the year). Have had great results with Koni shocks in the past on a GU Patrol and the HDJ78 Troopy, so that will probably be the choice of Shockies. Have not heard of the Spring pack type that you mentioned but I'll make a few calls and do some Googling and learn some more, I do like King Coils had them on the GU and Troopy too, Dobinsons have a good name too, undecided there yet for the front coils.
The Tvan has been sold before we moved from WA to Tassie, they are a great unit if you have to tow anything, we have actually had two of them over the years, we will be travelling fairly light while away for the next few years, and can comfortably fit all the essentials in a Ute canopy with some room to spare.
The D-Max as a platform for our needs fits the bill, it's only done 600kms so far and returned 7.6 litres per 100km, that was quite a surprise for me on a new Diesel motor.
We have quite a list of things to purchase and fit before we head off next year, and have already made a start with an EngineSafe coolant level and temp alarm, 6X internal Sensatyre tyre pressure monitors, raised diff/Gear box and Transfer case breathers ( not fitted yet), and a secondary 2 micron fuel filter/water separator from Fuel Manager I think, haven't fitted that yet because I want to pull all accessory wiring through the firewall before it goes on.
We had an Opposite Lock Bull bar and Side protection bars fitted (long story, but they will hopefully be removed and replaced with a competitors barwork) XGT Halogen Spotlights and Fog lights.
We will update our profile when I get some pics of the car, I have been busy repairing and replacing damaged parts from the Bull bar fitting episode!! Thanks for your information regarding the Springs, I will certainly explore that further, cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 798821

Follow Up By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 08:24

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 08:24
Hi Kanga,
I have a Nov 2012 DMax, great tow vehicle. Have a look at Sax Suspension for the rear leaf springs Sax . I have heard good reports on other forums about this type of spring and it's ability to carry loads and provide a good ride unloaded.
Regards
Scooby
FollowupID: 798828

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 09:23

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 09:23
Kanga...... the only way you can do homework on suspension is get it fitted and load your 4b up and try it...... if no good try something else!

Shockers cause a harder ride than springs and quality of shockers can make all the difference.

What one may think is acceptable another wont, to many base their purchase off of forums after what 5 people have said.

450kg means very little and I think you have under estimated to total weight by a long shoot.
FollowupID: 798830

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 15:03

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 15:03
olcoolone, weight is an estimation as I said, I figured on 80 litres water, same in diesel, Aluminium body on the Aluminium tray, 45 kg RTT, we travel fairly light these days as we have had almost every kind of kit over the years, found most of it to be single use or useless so we'll see what the weighbridge says body on loaded, and body off ute tray only, and base the spring loadings within those parameters. I don't believe throwing money at it with a 'suck it and see' approach will work for me, and have 8 months before all work and modifications need to be completed. Experience is one of the few things more valuable second hand, and I find it helpful ( sometimes confusing though) to listen to other peoples first hand experiences and sort the fact from fiction in my own time.
Have just had a look online at Sax suspension, thanks Scooby for that little gem, I'll contact them and will see what offerings they have for my vehicle. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 798848

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 16:50

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 16:50
With SAXS suspension, just make sure u do your research. I know that the Nissan Navara owners are NOT HAPPY with Saxs suspension (search on the asia-navara forum for this). Whether there would be the same outcome for the other make of vehicles I wouldn't know. Just ensure they will give u good backup aftersales service preferably in writing.

Good luck with your choice.....
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 798852

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 11:33

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 11:33
hi KYMC1
have a look at
www.saxsuspension.com
it is an adjustable type any time you choose which would suit your situation where your load is not on all the time
give them a ring and discuss your requirements I found them easy to talk to
I have no connection with the company
cheers
AnswerID: 518896

Sponsored Links