Imported vans ,Motor homes fitted with 240V to 110V transformer

Submitted: Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 13:22
ThreadID: 104537 Views:2082 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
That situation of using step down transformers has again been confirmed as NOT COMPLYING TO AUS STANDARDS been confirmed ,this morning, by Qld ESO
That the fitting of A step down transformer to run ALL existing 110V equipment does not comply with Aus Standards
A company making such a claim has been approached & despite their internet link claiming compliance by fitting a transformer THEY DENY HAVING EVER DONE SO

But they need hard evidence to act against those selling & claiming such do comply!
That has to be some one who has been conned ,coming forward with the evidence[Van & paper work with evidence of sale]

Any willing please contact me by PM

PeterQ

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 22:38

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 22:38
One thing a lot of people don't want to hear is that a hell of a lot of overseas electrical items are far from compliant with Australian regulations.

Fitting a transformer or an addaptor does absolutly nothing to make them compliant.

Various overseas countries permit all sorts of things that here in Australia we would consider rough, butcherous and dangerous.

I cant remember that actual details, but I seem to remember just the running of a system off a non-compliant voltage is an issue in it self

I can imagine non compliances at so many levels

The 110 volt system compliance issue
The compliance of the wiring
The compliance of the appliances.

Realy any imported van would have to pretty well be completly rewired t achieve compliance.

The QLD electrical safety act is pretty damn agressive, I would not like to be on the wrong end of it.
I am pretty sure it is an offence to import or offer for sale a non compliant electrical device.....and they can prosecute every person in the selling chain.

cheers
AnswerID: 518975

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 23:59

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 23:59
HI Bantam
Yes, you do have the problems correct
But they have a problem in this case
The co claims they have never sold a van with a transformer, even though that is the whole basis of their claim of compliance on their net site
But I Know for a fact that they have ben sold in just about every state!

It seems they can only act when evidence is produced,
I have ran into this prevuiosly on another non compliance problem
Even though they could have walked in & purchased the article they could not as that would be considered entrapment
I had to purchase it myself & take it to them
I did get reimbuesedl & yes the seller was heavily jumped on.

That is why I am seeking someone who has been sold a noncomplying unit to come forward!!

PeterQ
FollowupID: 798934

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 07:42

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 07:42
I think like in so many other matters the ESO is being...um...passive in their enforcement.

Police regularly have sucessfull prosecutions bassed on undercover officers purchasing or being offered drugs, stolen goods or prostitution services.

Its not entrapment when someone purchases an item that is plainly offered for sale.

Entrapment is where someone is provoked or encouraged to do something they may not yet have done.

It is very well known that non compliant boat trailers are frequently refused entry at the customs barrier, on the basis that they are not compliant with our regs.

These caravans are not compliant before or after the transformer was fitted.

Now in QLD, it is required that the vehicle is inspected by a licenced electrical worker to be registered, that electrical worker should have produced a "certificate of test".
If a certificate of test was produced over a non-compliant item the electrician can be prosecuted.

Like so many other situations it is a case of the ESO not being pro active and not being prepared or resourced to enforce the laws they are charged with enforcing.

As a result electrical non compliance is rife in all sectors.

cheers
FollowupID: 798938

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 09:22

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 09:22
Maybe they were told that it's legal in New Zealand!

FollowupID: 798943

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:35

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:35
Hi Shaker
While there are some minor variations in the
Standards AS/NZS3000,& AS/NZS 3001 as applicable to New Zealand,
THAT is not one of them!!

PeterQ
FollowupID: 798948

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:43

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:43
I was taking a swipe at the ridiculous logic used in your DIY thread that you can illegally do electrical work in Australia because its legal in New Zealand!

FollowupID: 798949

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:25

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:25
Hi Shaker
Thanks for that clalification

Yes, some do use STRANGE logic in an attempt to justify their views /actions

PeterQ
FollowupID: 798959

Sponsored Links