Dual Battery controlers

Hi all , I'm probably going over old ground, but, I'm looking for advice. Recently I had the misfortune to write off my GU Patrol and I know have a replacement but have got to refit from scratch. My question is as most of the members have dual battery systems fitted in their rigs what was their choice, was price the deciding factor or performance of a specific unit? My last unit was a Piranah and I was running of the 2nd battery, an 80L Engel fridge & freezer 1000W 12v/240v inverter, 12v power outlets as well as at times towing a camper trailer
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 17:12

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 17:12
You will get many responses suggesting favorite brands. I would suggest that rather than just go for a low cost solution you should look at the newer technology which are typically described as DC battery chargers. They take the feed from the starting battery, do the usual wait until the cranker is charged and then operate as a full multistage charger which will get your aux battery charged quickly and more fully.

There are several brands on the market. I have the Redarc BCDC1240 which is Aus made and has good features. It may be more than you want but it is better than a simple smart isolator. Look at the following link for a full explanation
Redarc in vehicle chargers
If you shop[ around you can get the price down.

cheers
(I have no connection with Redarc just like good Aus made products which work)
AnswerID: 518962

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 18:47

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 18:47
I have used the Piranha DB180S some years previously but after research and a few years use now, I'm a wrap for the Redarc products. Australian made, excellent quality and good back-up should it be needed. I'm using both a BC-DC charger with my vehicle aux and a BMS1220 over my two house batteries in the back of the ute. Both units have an inbuilt MPPT solar controller for added flexibility around charging options. Very good website for finding out about the products and 12V DC power options.

I did a write up on how the products have performed over the past three years in my rig.

REDARC product review

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518965

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:19

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:19
Hi Bentaxle

I assume you have bought another Patrol, they have a very good alternator and will have no problem charging the aux battery and camper trailer through a normal isolator and anderson plugs. There is no need for a DC-DC charger unless you have a low voltage problem.

Contact me if you wish we sell both products.

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 518991

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 12:36

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 12:36
Exactly what is the replacement vehicle? Is it the same or something newer?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518998

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 19:31

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 19:31
G'day young fella,

Hopefully no one was injured ............apart from the Patrol :-)

I can't help you specifically with your question on electronic controllers, we don't use one and get along fine.
The batteries are separated by two dumb solenoids, that are switched on or off as needed and that is done by the nut that holds the wheel :-)))))
One deep cycle battery under the bonnet runs the fridge and the three batteries in the trailer run the lighting, inverters, water pumps and can be fed back to run the fridge if needed. The alternator has been upgraded to a 120 amp unit and will produce over 14 volts at idle.

Hope to catch up with you again soon.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 519033

Reply By: andrew t - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 13:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 13:00
I have a rotronics battery isolator fitted in the troopy that has been there for the last 12 years and has served me very well, i am not sure if they still make them now but you should be able to get some really good advice from the many folk on here.good luck with the new set up and sorry to hear about the loss of your old rig, hope nobody was injured.
AnswerID: 519058

Sponsored Links