Types of hoses

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 16:26
ThreadID: 104564 Views:3910 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, new to the caravan scene. Would anyone be able to indicate what type of hoses and connectors I will need when I visit a van park? Are there any preferred options? Your expertise would be greatly appreciated. Ian.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dieseltojo - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 16:43

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 16:43
Hi Ian,
I would buy the good quality drinking water hose from a caravan sales yard. Friends bought the Nylex stuff from Bunnings and still got a plastic taste from it.
It doesn't bother some folks though.

Most parks have the screw threaded taps in 20 and 25 mm size and these fittings, cheap or dear all seem to leak a little bit.

It pays to have a Y or Tee in the kit as some places don't have enough taps.

This mob sell good gear.
http://www.hoselink.com.au/
AnswerID: 519065

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 17:46

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 17:46
Sure it was Nylex? Years back I bought the Pope brand blue drinking water hose from Bunnings and had the bad plastic taste. I've since used the Nylex blue drinking water hose with no taste whatsoever.
FollowupID: 799054

Follow Up By: Ian M18 - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 23:19

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 23:19
Thank you for your good advice. Appreciated
FollowupID: 799083

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 16:44

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 16:44
A blue coloured drinking water hose. You can get them from Bunnings or similar. The taps in van parks are just standard garden taps but may have different size threads. Take a few spare adapters and tap connections for if/when you leave yours behind. Click on fittings seem the most popular. Of course make sure you have a fitting for the van, most van water connections are American thread not the standard Ausie one. Again available from Bunnings or caravan shop.
To save on long unwieldy lengths of hose cut it into half or thirds and take click joiners for longer distances. Mine are 1/3, 2/3.
Don't forget a couple of lengths of sullage hose and connectors.
AnswerID: 519066

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 21:08

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 21:08
Standard tap screw fittings are either 3/4" or 1/2" pipe threads,depending on which state you are in. Just take a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter with you (available in plastic or brass from any hardware store) as hose fittings are 3/4" and it will cover the lot. Bob
FollowupID: 799074

Follow Up By: Ian M18 - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 23:15

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 23:15
Hi Bob, much appreciated.
FollowupID: 799082

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 20:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 20:00
Hi Ian,
I use the "Lay Flat" hose which comes with its own reel and can be purchased from many caravan outlets. A mate has the other type similar to a garden hose but food grade of course but I always think it is a fair bit cumbersome compared to my setup.
But to each their own I guess.

While some have reported minor problems with the Lay Flat such as scuffing I have never had a problem and it is as good as the day I got it in 2006, don't drive over it and it will be perfect.
I always use it and only it to fill the van with water.
They also take up much less space than the conventional type hoses and certainly no problems with taste. They also come with the required fittings to fit most situations.

Hose cocks come in 2 sizes,
the smaller one is what is called 1/2" inch and is actually a 3/4" BSP thread where the hose connects.
The other size is what is called a 3/4 Hose cock and it is actually 1" BSP where the hose connects.

This is why most hoses come with one hose to tap fitting to fit a 3/4 tap (the big one) and an adapter (1" X 3/4" Bush) to adapt to the smaller tap.
This is the general rule and I cannot recall seeing any tap in a caravan park vary from that rule, as a retired plumber I notice these things usually.

The other thing to know is that most caravan tanks take a while to fill as they gurgle back a lot if filled too quickly. There are always exceptions of course.

Happy travels,
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519076

Follow Up By: Ian M18 - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 23:14

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 23:14
Hi Bruce, I will follow up on you advice. Much appreciated for your help.
FollowupID: 799081

Follow Up By: Members - Bow & Nan - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 10:59

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 10:59
I have had heaps of leaks with lay flat hose and I do not drive over it.
Three lay flat hoses and they all leak after a few years.
FollowupID: 799099

Follow Up By: Herbal - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:28

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:28
There is a "lay flat" hose place just south of Batemans Bay, NSW south coast. I can't remember their name and I think the brand name is different to "lay flat".

By all reports they are about the best money can buy...and you will need some money to buy one! About $200 should cover it from memory.

If I remember the name I will post again...Or if I get a chance later today I will do some Googling for them.
FollowupID: 799108

Follow Up By: Herbal - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 13:10

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 13:10
OK...I remembered...Flat Out !

http://flatoutaust.com/

Now make sure you are sitting down cos they aint cheap... But you only get what you pay for :)
FollowupID: 799112

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 16:47

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 16:47
Hi Bow and Nan, goes to show not everybody has the same experience.
I am thinking you that perhaps you use your hose as a constant pressurised connection, would I be correct in thinking that ?. This is the only reason I can think of that may cause the leaking problem you describe.

Just checking the brand of mine and it is the "Flat Out" brand and as Herbal says they are in Batemans Bay NSW. (www.flatoutaust.com)

I have only had the one hose, but, I've never used it under constant pressure but merely to fill the tanks and roll it up when finished. If I did want a constant pressure line I would use the more rigid types of hoses.

I purchased our hose from a supplier at the caravan show in Wauchope NSW back in 06 and have used it constantly since filling with the garden hose and getting a rotten taste in the water.

Hi Herbal,
As I recall it cost around the $70 odd mark but it packs flat and takes up the minimal amount of space and that is why I got it.
It is as good today as the day I got it.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 799123

Follow Up By: Herbal - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:11

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:11
On their web site they have two lengths listed.

12m is $133
18m is $177.50

I have never used one. I learnt of them a few years ago through "hear say". I do understand thou, that if quality and featrues is the main issue (not price) then this hose should go on your short short list...

If price is an issue then go to Bunnings :)
FollowupID: 799126

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 20:39

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 20:39
The Gentleman that designed and marketed the original Flat Out hose lived and operated at Mogo which is south of Batemans Bay. He and his wife used to attend most of the RV shows. Unfortunately,he passed away a couple or more years ago and his wife was trying to soldier on and keep the company viable.
I'm not sure whether she still has it or whether it has gone on to a new owner. Bob
FollowupID: 799156

Sponsored Links